Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,035,985 times

Advertisements

In today's N&O on the front page of the Scene section, there is a nice article that explains our red hot tradition. I would link it, but don't know how. Pretty interesting. Also has a great eastern NC chili recipie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:57 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,652,706 times
Relishing the red dogs - Lifestyles - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/lifestyles/story/1589952.html - broken link)

It is something I've always wondered about -- great story, uncletupelo.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:04 PM

Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
Relishing the red dogs - Lifestyles - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/lifestyles/story/1589952.html - broken link)

It is something I've always wondered about -- great story, uncletupelo.
Thanks for posting the link Daniel.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:18 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,000,674 times
We moved to Raleigh when I was a kid. The red hot dogs were one of the first things I noticed! In fact, it was a curiosity to me that the hot dogs were not only red but served in really, really steamed buns that were almost soggy. I quickly came to love the soggy bun but it took some time to get used to the fact that the hot dog was bright red.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:58 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,862,852 times
I ate a tractor trailer load of red Jesse Jones hot dogs boiled in a sauce pan growing up. My mon steamed the buns, and made a great chili to boot Very nice article!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:36 PM

26 posts, read 56,242 times
Another great place is Shorty's in downtown Wake Forest. It's been there FOREVER and is very quaint - has coke in bottles too! It's been in Southern Living, etc. Not totally clean, but fun

Shorty's Famous Hot Dogs - Wake Forest, NC

Old 07-03-2009, 08:29 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,041,614 times
Shorty's had a 92.5 rating from the Wake County health department in March 2009.

It amazes me, because I've never, ever, in my entire life, seen such a filthy restaurant. I felt so guilty about having my family eat there once. It's been there forever, and it seems to have last been cleaned in about 1957.

(Bright red food dye? Blecch. I'm a Zweigle's white hot fan.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdypearls View Post
Another great place is Shorty's in downtown Wake Forest. It's been there FOREVER and is very quaint - has coke in bottles too! It's been in Southern Living, etc. Not totally clean, but fun

Shorty's Famous Hot Dogs - Wake Forest, NC

Old 07-03-2009, 09:58 PM

Default reply

Why am I not the least bit surprised that you would not like a local, southern tradition. Do you actually like anything southern? Those hot dogs you speak of are disgusting to me. And I have tried them. They were awful.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:26 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,854,872 times
The red dogs of the south taste like your standard hot dog, but I am not a big fan of the red food dye. What's the purpose?

Old 07-04-2009, 01:57 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,547,208 times
^So the Yanks will be disgusted by it, not like the way we live, and leave! j/k. The red dye is just a tradition so they say. I say it's to cover up the actual cover of the disgusting ingredients. I took a tour of the Brightleaf plant in Smithfield years ago. It's actually pretty gross how these dogs are made so if you enjoy red dogs stop reading now.
After the meat is processed (the good stuff; bacon, pork chops, ribs, etc.) the rest of the animal is left scattered about on the floor. A small skid-steer ("Bobcat") front-end loader tractor scrapes the entire floor with the bucket and pours everything into a giant vat or mixing bowl thing. There is this huge mixer that constantly stirs everything into a paste. The red dye is injected into this paste and the paste is then poured into the skin forming the hot dog us southerners love to eat.
Yes, it's disgusting how they're made but I still eat them. As for flavor, I've never noticed any difference in flavor between any hot dog (that's what chili is for) except for one; a Hebrew National which is the best IMO and is even kosher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary