Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:00 PM

553 posts, read 1,268,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Pffft--the deer here just laugh at my dogs who are going crazy (behind a fence). I guess just because something is done one way "up north", doesn't mean it is the same here...
Maybe my dog is just smarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:51 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,205,997 times
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll check out the garden forum for more info too. I might try the pie plate trick. I wonder if the movement from those little pinwheels kids play with would work as well. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2009, 12:43 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,801,128 times
I've got the perfect solution...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...rs-durham.html

Old 07-04-2009, 04:08 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
The other week a deer (I assume) ate all the buds off my day lilies in the front yard. I thought someone had picked the flowers, but then I saw some half eaten buds! I don't think I have anything else deer would want to eat, though.

Good luck!
That must be what happened to ours! I didn't see any half eaten buds, but they looked like they were cut. But I was puzzled b/c they were cut right under the bud and not further down the stem. So thats gotta be it. Now I am upset that there are no more flowers I saw the same thing around the pond in Brier Creek.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,822,747 times
I checked my daylillies obsessively and the first time I noticed a nibble I got to work. I sprayed deer repellent and changed brands as recommended. One day I ran out of spray and didn't have time to go to the store. I remembered a friend telling me cat hair would work as a repellent. Not to take a chance on just spreading it in the garden I actually accumulated a bag full of hair from my 2 20 lb ragdoll cats and wove the fur around the buds of my daylillies. I knew the deer would not like the taste as they don't like fuzzy plants. It worked and my neighbors thought I was crazy. Doesn't look too good but it is free and it works and I have my beautiful blossoms saved. I have alot of daylillies and alot of cat fur so it is working out. Still next year I will be more diligent about regular spraying especially after i use my irrigation system which, of course, washes off the repellent.
I hate to see daylilly season over.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:17 AM

7 posts, read 32,978 times
I have deers eating in my garden all the time! Just get a fence.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:21 AM

46 posts, read 306,493 times
Default 3 things that work....

Dial soap...it must be Dial

Mothballs sprinkled around

Bloodmeal from the garden store sprinkled around or hung in a stocking

You must convince the deer there's a human or a carnivore around.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:54 PM

206 posts, read 595,659 times
I wish I had deer. Instead, I had my friend's dog run all over my raised bed and destroy half my beans, squash and, the lettuce that wasn't going to come up anyway.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:42 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,586,060 times
The deer only ate my day lillies the one time - they must have found something tastier to eat at one of my neighbors. I wish I had seen them though!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 AM

451 posts, read 1,649,764 times
Cayenne pepper on the ground, or mixed into a spray bottle with water.

Note: this doesn't work with birds, as they have no capsaicin receptors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary