Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:02 AM

53 posts, read 219,637 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! My husband and I are expecting in November and we would like to use cloth diapers for many reasons... better for the environment, better for baby's skin, and better for our checking account in the long run!
I have been researching a lot on the internet, but I wonder if there are any stores that carry cloth diapers in the area? It is hard to decide without actually being able to see them.
Yesterday I went to SmartMomma in North Raleigh and they carry Bumgenius and Happy Heine (no idea how to spell Heine). Are there any other stores that you can suggest? Babies R Us and other chains seem to only have prefolds and plastic covers/pants.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 AM

55 posts, read 144,892 times
The RedHen in Carrboro and the Birth Center in Chapel Hill both stock cloth diapers.

The Red Hen: A Resale and Gift Boutique for Moms and Little Ones
Women's Birth & Wellness Center. Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Old 07-03-2009, 07:46 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
I don't have personal experience, but I've heard many people who swear by Bum Genius.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:35 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
I'm sure you've done your research and probably already know this, but I'd try out several brands at first. Every baby is different and you just never know what will work till you try! Diaper Swappers was a great resource for me when I was researching them. Good luck with your new little one...I think you're making a great decision to cloth diaper!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks so much for your responses.
I emailed the Red Hen, and they said that they have previously owned cloth diapers from $4 to $24, as well as some new diapers (Fuzzi Bunz).
That way I can check out a few different styles and see what will work best as Babytarheelz suggested.
I really appreciate the input, it helps to have an inside perspective!
Thanks again!

Old 07-03-2009, 03:32 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
I'd start with only a few--don't stock up. You may end up using them but I know SO many people who threw the idea out the window after a few days of dealing with a new baby (lot of work!!) and cloth diapers (even more work!!). They ended up w/disposables AND a whole load of cloth diapers.

Also, if you look into it, you'll find it is not necessarily better for the environment. There's a whole lot of research on it, so just google it. Basically all the electricity used to clean the diapers ends up being pretty bad for the environment too, so most "green" groups now acknowledge they aren't necessarily "better", just bad in a different way. You might also consider "green" disposables (although they are more expensive). And the best way to help the environment with the diaper issue: potty train early so they aren't using any diaper!

I know you listed more than one reason for using cloth, but just in case the environmental one is a big one, I'd suggest checking it out. I did cloth for a long time and it was way harder than disposables. Once I became convinced it wasn't any better for the environment (which took a long time to convince me!) I thought the heck w/it and went with the slightly better than regular disposables-- "green" diapers and made sure I potty trained at just over a year of age.

Good luck with your little one!

oh, ps, as a place to buy. You might consider looking at ebay and other places like that. Many people end up ditching the idea so there are tons out there which are for sale which have never even been used. Others which have been VERY lightly used (nothing a little bleach cycle wouldn't ease your mind with). Just a thought.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:35 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
from a "green" publication in the UK: (if you google you'll find tons of things to read on this).

"The Cloth vs. Disposable Debate

Diapers, also known as nappies in many parts of the world, have been the subject of great debate in relation to which is a more earth friendly option - disposables or resuable cloth? Having used both, I would have immediately said cloth diapers had less of an environmental impact, but that may not necessarily be the case.

An apparently thorough study carried out by an advisory board to the UK Environment Agency a couple of years ago drew this conclusion - cloth diapers had equal the impact of disposable nappies. I was quite taken aback - how could this be?

When both types of diapers were studied, the *whole* lifecycle of the product was scrutinized - materials, chemicals and energy consumed during production, usage and disposal. The environmental impact categories the diapers were assessed against were climate change, ozone depletion, human toxicity, acidification, fresh-water aquatic toxicity, terrestrial toxicity, photochemical oxidant formation and eutrophication. The resulting report was over 200 pages and can be viewed here (PDF)"

Old 07-03-2009, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,747 times
Default Cloth is best

I'm a first time mom, and I was just like you. I decided while pregnant to cloth diaper, much to the horror of my husband. The idea of all those diapers in the landfill made me shudder, not to mention the cost! I was totally overwhelmed by my first attempts at research, and appalled by the fact cloth diapers seemed so hard to find at the box stores.

I finally went to the Birth & Wellness Center in Chapel Hill, and I'm so glad I did! They have a big selection of cloth diapers, their employees have actually used them and know their stuff. The woman that helped me talked me through the different kinds, the washing, the whole deal. I left with the confidence that I could handle this. The Red Hen is also a great resource, I love the used diapers.

My daughter is over 2 months now, and aside from the first few days has been cloth diapered the whole time. It's amazing how easy it really is! The actual diapering process is just as easy as disposables, and washing them is a cinch. Even my husband hasn't batted an eye. I use a combination of fitted diapers and covers and pocket diapers: Fuzzi Bunz and Bum Genius are great! Even my mother-in-law likes them!

When your little one has arrived and you figure out which diapers you like best, try Craigslist. We not only found great deals we found a woman who'd made her own diapers for her baby, and they turned out to be my favorites! (And oh so easy on the wallet)

I don't agree that cloth diapers are just as bad as disposables. We do a load of diapers every 3rd or 4th day, and use a water saving front loading washer. The diapers don't take too long to dry in the drier. Lately I've been putting some out on a rack to dry outside, because the sun gets the stains out. Also harsh chemicals are bad for diapers as well as the environment: we use a locally produced soap called Charlie's you can get at Whole Foods.

Good Luck! Don't let people scare you away from cloth, it's wonderful. And congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:20 PM

498 posts, read 853,745 times
There's also this one in Cary - www.trianglediapercompany.com

We use Fuzzi Bunz and I would say the best part is not having to buy diapers for the second kid!

Old 07-04-2009, 06:41 AM

Frogandtoad - Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your input.

CVAlicia - Thanks! I have looked into Fuzzi Bunz and I agree that it will be a huge bonus to already have the diapers on hand for the second little one!

Maggie - Thanks so much for your support! I really appreciate your advice and suggestions. Did you use disposables for the first couple of days?

Next I will check out the birthing center in Chapel Hill. It would be great to see all of the options in one place and to actually compare the options.

I also checked Wal-Mart and they sell Kushies online for a pretty good price. Do you have any experience with those?

I think Craigslist will be a great resource once I know what I'm looking for! I definitely want to stock up now as I'm sure that I will be exhausted and overwhelmed (and thrilled!) once our little one arrives.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary