Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:49 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times

Advertisements

Would other non North Carolinians consider a move back to their home state if (I should say when), home prices hit bottom? I know that many left their home state to get away from outrageous home prices and taxes, but NC taxes are on the rise and many other every day necessities are more expensive here in NC.

I am from NJ and would to back in a heartbeat. As for right now, I have a job here, so I am staying for a while.

Anybody else thinking of the move back home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:01 PM

871 posts, read 3,017,534 times
Not at all. We detested the increasingly harsh winters and left MA primarily for that reason. Wife and I made great money there and kids went to the best schools. So cost of living was not an issue for us.

Our radar is now on for our next move, maybe you could call it a "lateral" migration. Looking to get away from the Triangle in a couple of years and head for the mountains or the coast. Neither place will be in NC, we just want to start over and it will be either TN, SC or GA. It's nice to have a choice, but MA and all our lifetime memories are just that.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:03 PM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times
We sold our CT home in '07 just before "things got ugly". We rented in CT for a while, saving to build or upgrade. Discovered mold in the rental, then came down here to rent temporarily because of the selection/reasonable rent. However, we miss CT terribly and are having issues with the rental here now, so looking to get back asap. This is an ok place to live but just not my home. Life is short and I don't think time should be wasted where you aren't happy.

Cheers.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:06 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
No! No! No!
We moved for a better lifestyle and we found it here. No more cold, sleet, snow, gray skies for 6-7 months of the year. We're both in healthcare so jobs are a plenty almost anywhere for us. We had a beautiful home in RI, we have a great home here. NC is now home.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:09 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
CA would have to fix a lot more than their home prices at this point. as we all know, the state is completely broke AND SoCal has basically run out of water.

IF they somehow miraculously fixed those issues AND i could not find a job out here that i enjoy as much as the one i had in San Diego (which has yet to happen, sadly), i would consider it. for now, the wife and i are perfectly happy calling North Carolina home.

Mike

Old 07-05-2009, 06:33 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
While I don't necessarily think I'll live in the Raleigh area for the rest of my life, I can't picture any circumstance where I'd move back to the Washington, DC area. Twenty-four years there was plenty!

Old 07-05-2009, 07:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Would other non North Carolinians consider a move back to their home state if (I should say when), home prices hit bottom? I know that many left their home state to get away from outrageous home prices and taxes, but NC taxes are on the rise and many other every day necessities are more expensive here in NC.
I like where I grew up, but I am very happy here in Raleigh. FWIW, I'm from NJ and even at bottom; the prices there would be well above my price range ceiling. Also, NJ taxes continue to rise each year and will continue to outpace NC's. Even with NC's taxes going up, the only way for NJ taxes to meet the lower taxes of NC is for the NJ taxes to stop going up and actually decrease. Anybody from NJ knows that such a thing would never happen.

What daily necessities are more expensive in NC? I was just back in NJ last week and I didn't notice daily purchases to be much different than here in NC. Actually I paid more than I would have preferred to for a pizza at Vesuvio's in Belmar. Ultimately, I can't imagine moving somewhere for a cheaper cup of coffee.

I didn't move here to escape NJ or find cheaper cost of living. But I am intrigued by those that do. I think I would eventually be very unhappy if I moved anywhere simply because it was cheaper to live there. Life is too short to spend it living in a place you don't want to be.

So to answer your question, no I am not thinking of moving back. This is my home now.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:04 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
Would never move back to Long Island by choice.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Home prices have nothing to do with why I'm here or why I stay.

If you ain't happy where you are, you're in the wrong place.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:14 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
My ideal life would be spending November to May in North Carolina and then June to October in the Finger Lakes area of New York. I would rent and wouldn't buy in NY because property doesn't seem to appreciate enough.

I don't want to go back to Rochester, but I'd love to be close enough to enjoy life in the summer and fall -- the lakes, the festivals, the wineries, the small towns, antiques, owner-operated restaurants, and Canada -- with friends and family.

The REALLY ideal situation would be to find someone with a home in the Finger Lakes who wanted to be HERE from June to October every year. We'd just swap homes and "house sit" for each other. If I wanted to go up in the winter, I'd probably have plenty of takers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary