Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:34 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times

Advertisements

There's one in particular in Apex that I'm concerned about and was hoping someone could tell me who regulates these kinds of places. I've been to this particular one twice, once a while back for open play and once today for a birthday party. The first time I went, I was apalled at the lack of supervision of the track out camp kids. These wild school age kids were running all throughout the place, knocking over all of the little kids in their way. I had my 4 year old and 1 year old and we left after only 30 minutes b/c it was unbearable. I vowed to never go back, but when we were invited to a birthday party there, I didn't want to miss it as it was a close friend. So again, there was the same lack of supervision. There were 2 teenage girls that were working there and that was it. They weren't monitoring the kids well at all and weren't paying attention to the kids in the inflatables. All of the inflatables are clearly marked with a warning from the manufacturer to only use in the presence of an attendant. Also, one of them that was meant for small children had a limit of 4 kids posted on the warning label, yet there were many more than 4 most of the time and no one monitored that. Finally, what concerns me the most and what I really want looked into is that on that same warning label of the smaller inflatable, it says that the unit must be anchored. If outdoors, the 4 anchors (they were visible from the 4 corners) needed to be staked, and if indoors, which this is, they needed to be attached to 150 pound sandbags. Well, there was no anchoring. When the inflatable was filled with a bunch of kids, you could see this thing moving back and forth. What local agency regulates these places? Would you report them if you were me or am I overreacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
I would send an email to the manager of the place and if it's a chain, I'd send one to cooperate. I don't think you're over reacting. Those warnings are there for a reason. I'd hate to see a kid seriously hurt because of someone's neglect. I haven't been to the place you're referring to, but I had my son's 5th birthday party at Kid's Clubhouse in Clayton and we had the entire place to ourselves. It was well organized and I definitely felt it was safe for the kids. I'm not sure what the regulations are on those types of places.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:00 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
This is what happens when inflatables are not anchored properly outdoors.

Boy goes for wild ride on runaway inflatable

Old 07-06-2009, 05:28 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
We really enjoyed these types of places until my MIL told me about this incident. These places seem dangerous to me.

Bounce House Lawsuit To Be Filed After 7-Year-Old Ends Up In Coma - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Old 07-06-2009, 06:59 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
We had our daughter's party at a new bounce house in Durham. I was surprised at all the supervision. They had one person at each castle making sure it was being used properly. I thought it was a little overkill. They said that they need to follow all these strict rules. Then a few weeks later we went to the other place in Durham (in RTP), and it was complete mayhem. No attendants, kids running wild, I didn't understand why one place had all these strict rules and this other place was crazy wild. Kids can get hurt no matter what you do, but I think it's important for these places to minimize the risk.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Anything you do in society can be dangerous. It's not always the owner's responsibility to supervise what your child is doing. To the o.p.: if you noticed kids running around out of control knocking over little children, instead of "being appalled" by it why didn't you, since you are an adult, say something to the kids? If I were at a place and witnessed the situation I would've snatched a couple of them down and I guarantee they wouldn't have acted out again. And I could only wish one of their parents were there to witness it. I would've snatched them down to and made them realize what a sorry parent they are for not controlling their kid. Sometimes we can't look for someone else to point blame at. Maybe we need to look at ourselves a little better to see what we could have done different.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:27 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I freaking DARE anyone to "snatch" my kid in a public place.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
I freaking DARE anyone to "snatch" my kid in a public place.
I assure you if your kid is out of control and knocks my kid down IN A PUBLIC PLACE not only will I snatch your kid down so we can have a little chat but I will snatch you down and have a chat as well. You have an obligation as a parent to control your kid in a public place to prevent needless injuries. If you can't control them then I will to protect the safety of my child.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 AM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Anything you do in society can be dangerous. It's not always the owner's responsibility to supervise what your child is doing. To the o.p.: if you noticed kids running around out of control knocking over little children, instead of "being appalled" by it why didn't you, since you are an adult, say something to the kids? If I were at a place and witnessed the situation I would've snatched a couple of them down and I guarantee they wouldn't have acted out again. And I could only wish one of their parents were there to witness it. I would've snatched them down to and made them realize what a sorry parent they are for not controlling their kid. Sometimes we can't look for someone else to point blame at. Maybe we need to look at ourselves a little better to see what we could have done different.
First of all, there were no parents there. If you read my post, you'd see that they were there for track out camp, which means their supervisors were the attendants of the place. So it does become their responsibility.

Second of all, I agree with Lamishra, I would never ever put my hands on someone else's child no matter what the circumstances are. And if someone ever put their hands on mine, there'd be hell to pay. That's one of those lines you don't cross. An adult should never put their hands on a child. Plain and simple, bottom line. I'd have the police called in a second.

As far as the first time I was there with the kids running wild, I did actually say something to the kids and to the attendants. Nothing changed, which is why we left. There was no need for you to assume I didn't do that.

And finally, my biggest concern isn't about the kids running wild, it's about the bounce house not being secured.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
I've stopped kids in different situations MANY times. I'm not talking grabbing a kid and putting them in an armhold, and I imagine the other poster isn't either. But heck yeh, I'd stop someone in a pool (which is where I"ve done it) or anywhere else if they are causing danger to small kids. There is nothing wrong with that at all. If more people would get involved like that, it would be better for everyone. Those who don't do that are partially responsible for the outcome if you ask me. Silence is complicit in crime (or in this case, a possible very bad outcome for a tiny child)

And go ahead and call the police. Let's see how that would go. A large older child is causing danger to small toddlers so someone stopped them and told them to cut it out NOW. There's nothing to report in that situation.

If they didn't cut it out, after I stopped them, I'd walk up to the manager of the place and get them involved. People need to get a backbone and stand up in a situation like this. Same as when a crime is occurring. Get involved and HELP.

btw, I'd probably go for the bday party, keeping a very close eye on my child, and pulling them out if wild kids are doing the same as last time you were there. I'd also write the manager but some places just aren't as good as others in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary