Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 PM

81 posts, read 145,819 times

Advertisements

What the heck is going on with the Wake county schools letting kids out early so the teachers can talk about teaching? Isn't it hard enough for parents to schedule around the normal school schedule, now they make it even worse. Why on earth can't teachers be expected to stay after school themselves to talk about teaching? This is making the county look like a bunch of idiots are running things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 06:08 PM

646 posts, read 2,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern country redneck View Post
What the heck is going on with the Wake county schools letting kids out early so the teachers can talk about teaching? Isn't it hard enough for parents to schedule around the normal school schedule, now they make it even worse. Why on earth can't teachers be expected to stay after school themselves to talk about teaching? This is making the county look like a bunch of idiots are running things.
There is a lot of emphasis on team teaching anymore....and that takes communication.

I really don't see what the big deal about this is. Guess what? School is not day care. They aren't baby sitters that have to work around parent's schedules. Parents work with the schools.

This small change (and it's small) shouldn't cause parents a problem...and if it does...they have much large issues that no school is going to solve.

Your comment about idiots will stay uncommented on.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 PM

81 posts, read 145,819 times
Many parents have children in different schools on different schedules. This change is a major issue for many parents. I would think it would be less inconvenient for the smaller number of teachers to do their communication after hours, rather than to expect all the parents to adjust their schedules. It's purely idiotic to cater to the teachers this way.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:13 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
This was rammed through and it is a logistical mess. Better to keep the teachers late every Wednesday and give them comp time or (gasp!) more $ than to adjust the classroom and transportation schedules for the families who, as the pp stated, often have children in more than 1 school.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
I really don't see how the teachers can be very productive with just one hour to make it worth the inconvenience of changing the students' schedule. I think this could have been handled differently but it's just another symptom of a broken school system.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
It would have been much better if the shorter day was a Friday instead of a Wednesday.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:09 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
The school system I grew up in had shorter days on Wednesdays for as long as I can recall, so this is not a novel concept. I think it may just have been elementary school, though. I think the schools offered after school care (which they offered all the time anyway), so it was not as big of a scheduling issue for parents.

I remember always looking forward to getting done at 2:00 on Wednesdays. Good memories!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
All the Catholic schools in my hometown did this, too--in fact, I seem to believe we got out at 1:15 on Mondays instead of 3:15 (at my particular school). I loved it

I work from home, thankfully, as does my husband, so I guess I kind of like it--the bus drops my kids an hour early and they have more time to play outside, which is major in the summertime since they're stuck in school as it is....

Old 07-08-2009, 08:21 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
What's going on? Is this similar to a teacher workday/halfday only spread out?

Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 PM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times
In California they have been doing early Wednesdays in elementary and middle schools for years....not a big deal in my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary