U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,707,994 times
Default Bargaining down Time Warner Cable/Raleigh

Howdy:

So a year ago I signed up with Time Warner Cable for cable & internet for a package price of $89/month, which reflected a discount for the first year. (The promos were $49.95/month with HD DVR, and $34.95 for HSI). Now the year is up, and the price is up to $132. Yep, $41/month more. That's way too much, so I'm considering canceling cable altogether or switching to DirecTV. (The cheapest digital cable package @ Time Warner is $71/month). They offered me a $15 monthly discount, but that's still much more than I was paying before, plus that's with a 2-year commitment with an early termination fee. For the money, and the commitment, I can get much more value from DirecTV. or Dish Network. (AT&T U-Verse is not available in my home.)

So, has anyone who's a current customer gotten a better deal from TWC? Does anyone have any thoughts on how to bargain TWC down, short of actually calling in to cancel? I don't want to call to cancel until I've really prepared my next move, but I don't want to need to make those arrangements if I can get TWC to make a better offer. And, of course, I'm not going to even bother badgering TWC if no one has gotten a significant reduction in price.

Thanks.

- geoff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM

140 posts, read 313,037 times
I called TWC just about a month ago when my promotions ran out and my bill had gone up 70 dollars. I was very upfront about what I wanted and what I was willing to pay. I never even started the whole "I am going to switch to direct tv" conversation. They immediately transferred me to the retention department and I got my bill back to what it had been orginally. I have digital cable, high speed internet and phone through them, I also have done the same thing via their internet site. Just don't take no for an answer. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 AM
T|K

770 posts, read 1,222,496 times
Get to the retentions department, don't just talk to a normal CS person. Call and say you want to cancel and keep telling them that you will, they will often times transfer to get you a better deal. Worse case if they won't do anything tell them you will call them back to cancel. Those idiots would not give me a deal until I told them I wanted to cancel my service right than, but they pissed me off so late DirecTV was at my house the next day.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM

8,112 posts, read 11,103,225 times
Many times I hear people say how they got a "deal" from TWC by threatening to cancel, but it sounds like all they got was the 2-year price lock commitment that you were offered, which would be available to anyone willing to commit to 2 years. In most instances, that seems to be TWC's standard response to a customer threatening to walk.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM

2,082 posts, read 4,859,913 times
I actually just called to cancel TWC yesterday. The lady I spoke with first offered me the 2-year "price lock" which is really just a ploy to keep you from going to the competition when someone else is offering a better deal. That would have given me the exact same service I had (200+ channels, 1 HD DVR and internet) for about $20 less. Definitely not worth it to me, and I hate contracts. I said nope, get me lower and she checked something else with the same package, but it was no better than the contract.

I personally don't watch much TV outside of the network stations, but we really like the DVR. I told her I don't watch much else and she gave me a smaller cable package + the DVR + the same internet service for $88 that is good for a year (I believe this is considered the "retention" price).

I'm still not completely sure what channels will be gone when the service switches over tomorrow. If the quality of the network channels is any less than what I can get OTA or if it just doesn't seem worth the money, then I will be cancelling the cable altogether and just going with rabbit ears. I am still researching options for the internet service should I go that route.

The person I spoke with was very willing to look into different options based on my response to what she offered. I kept saying "Not good enough" until something seemed reasonable to me. It was quite painless and she was easy to deal with.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM

771 posts, read 1,019,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Many times I hear people say how they got a "deal" from TWC by threatening to cancel, but it sounds like all they got was the 2-year price lock commitment that you were offered, which would be available to anyone willing to commit to 2 years. In most instances, that seems to be TWC's standard response to a customer threatening to walk.
This.

When I had called asking if they can help me out in anyway and that I was thinking about going to satellite, retention offered me a measily $10 off my bill for two years. Thankfully I asked for some terms, since retention wasn't going to tell me. If I cancel in those two years...I would have to pay a cancellation fee, but he didn't tell me how much that would be (though I've heard some people paying a $200-$250 fee). It wasn't worth it for me. Who knows what they'd do if I decided to change my plan!

Bottom line, make sure you read the fine print (kinda hard to do over the phone) and make sure you're getting what you want for the long term.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:45 AM

924 posts, read 1,044,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Howdy:

So a year ago I signed up with Time Warner Cable for cable & internet for a package price of $89/month, which reflected a discount for the first year. (The promos were $49.95/month with HD DVR, and $34.95 for HSI). Now the year is up, and the price is up to $132. Yep, $41/month more. That's way too much, so I'm considering canceling cable altogether or switching to DirecTV. (The cheapest digital cable package @ Time Warner is $71/month). They offered me a $15 monthly discount, but that's still much more than I was paying before, plus that's with a 2-year commitment with an early termination fee. For the money, and the commitment, I can get much more value from DirecTV. or Dish Network. (AT&T U-Verse is not available in my home.)

So, has anyone who's a current customer gotten a better deal from TWC? Does anyone have any thoughts on how to bargain TWC down, short of actually calling in to cancel? I don't want to call to cancel until I've really prepared my next move, but I don't want to need to make those arrangements if I can get TWC to make a better offer. And, of course, I'm not going to even bother badgering TWC if no one has gotten a significant reduction in price.

Thanks.

- geoff

Just call them up and be very matter of fact about switching because of the raise in rates. They have a retention department that is set up just for customers like you and they will make concessions. They would rather you stay with them than move back and forth every year. The largest cost that they have to get over is the installation that they most likely did for free. They usually don't recoup this until the 15th month of your service at the reduced rate. So they're more than happy to keep you at the reduced rate. But, they don't advertise this because some people just forget and they love these people

Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,860,026 times
Good Luck, when mine was to expire, I started calling a month early and was told they couldn't do anything until the plan in place expired. When the plan expired, my monthly bill shot up almost $50.00 monthly. After numerous phone calls and not paying the bill, they adjusted the pricing down to what I was paying for another 2 years. I can transfer the service without any fees, but if I were to cancel before the contract ends, I have to pay $150.00. Again, Good Luck.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM

361 posts, read 662,326 times
They will work with you, especially in this economy. I tend to not say that I want to cancel. Just tell them that you can no longer afford to pay the bill with the rate that high. Ask for the retentions department, or just ask if there is someone you can speak to with 'alternatives to cancelling'. If the first person you talk to can't get you down to where you need/want to be, ask for a supervisor or just hang up and call back in a few days. You'll find that the deal often varies depending on who you talk to. Keep reiterating that you just don't have any extra money (feel free to insert sob story). Someone who cares will work hard to help you out. My sister just got her $50 Verizon (phone and internet) bill lowered to $10 per month for 4 months due to 'hardship'.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:59 PM

421 posts, read 780,029 times
We called last week and were offered that price block deal which we politely declined!! I told her the dozen channels we watch regularly and asked her to find me the cheapest package that included those. She did, and it saved us $25 a month. Not much, but it adds up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary