U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM

997 posts, read 3,030,950 times

Advertisements

I live in Preston Village behind Carpenter Village and I walk or ride my bike on the trail around the lake all the time. There is always people out. My son loves to come along and feed the ducks along the way. The village center is great. They have a restaurant, daycare, music center just to name a few. My son takes guitar lessons at the Village music school there. They have a playground, pool and tennis courts. Like the other posters said Carpenter Elementary is right there and walkable if you wish. The new Western Wake Library is right there too and walkable if you wish. Stone Creek Village is right down the street with some new upscale boutiques, children's shoe store, soon to be Chop House Grill, Five Guys burgers, Red Bowl Asian Bistro, ice cream and candy shoppe, Coffee shop, Walgreens, Harris Teeter, Z Pizza, nail salon, JF Gemeli Hair Salon, Sport Clips and a few more.

You have access to 55, Davis Drive and 540. Very close to RTP and RDU. Yes you are in the flight path but IMO I think all of the previous things stated more than make up for that. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 12:18 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,569,708 times
My husband and I moved to the area two years ago, and initially lived in the apartments at Carpenter Village. We spent about 8 months scouting-out areas and neighborhoods, and looking at homes in any area we seriously entertained buying. We chose Carpenter Village for all of the reasons others have mentioned.

It was a great commute to work for my husband -- while everybody heads into RTP in the a.m., he is going the other way, and vice versa at 5:00 p.m. I like the convenience to just about anywhere I want to go, including areas in Raleigh, up or down 55 towards Apex or Durham, and over to 540 to North Raleigh/Wake Forest. Shopping is convenient, and choices are great. There are a number of restaurants within a short distance.

Walking the dogs on the Greenway is a pleasure. People are friendly, and will speak. The community areas in the neighborhood are nicely maintained, and I feel safe anywhere I choose to walk -- the new branch of Wake Library, the elementary school, neighboring subdivisions, or over to Green Hope HS.

I have been in the schools in the area, and have been pleased with what I have seen. Carpenter Elementary is year-round, however. Check out the schools' Report Cards at the Wake County Schools' website.

We love being here. It is an easy commute down I40 and the beltline, and to Glenwood Avenue.

Lots of nice families with school-aged children. I would encourage you to look at homes in the neighborhood.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 PM

353 posts, read 960,732 times
I wanted to bring this conversation up again. I have read from a mom or two (from the area) that say Carpenter Village is very quiet and people keep to themselves. That the neighbors are not very outgoing or friendly. Is this true? Judging from the comments above - it sounds like the only negative is the airport noise. We have a 2 year old and are looking at family friendly communities, where we can meet people since we won't know a soul. Thanks.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 PM

718 posts, read 2,051,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
I wanted to bring this conversation up again. I have read from a mom or two (from the area) that say Carpenter Village is very quiet and people keep to themselves. That the neighbors are not very outgoing or friendly. Is this true? Judging from the comments above - it sounds like the only negative is the airport noise. We have a 2 year old and are looking at family friendly communities, where we can meet people since we won't know a soul. Thanks.
Carpenter Village is a very large neighborhood full of kids. I don't live there but the layout of the neighborhood is hardly the backdrop for neighbors keeping to themselves. Smaller lots, front porches and sidewalks make for more people to be out and about imo. I have a friend who lives in the neighborhood and they love it. No mention of people keeping to themselves. I'm sure some people do, but not all.
You would really need to drive around the neighborhood with a agent on a nice weekend day and see what is happening.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:59 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,286,075 times
I live there and it is by far the most friendly place I've ever lived. Lots of people out and about on the sidewalks and greenway. Lots and lots of kids.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 PM

528 posts, read 965,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
In a straight line - it's about 4.8 miles away. And it's pretty squarely in the flight path. I fly every week and I've often looked out the window on decent and seen Carpenter Village directly below. You're low enough you can make out objects in the neighborhood.

That said - a lot of people don't find it all that intrusive or bothersome. It's really a personal preference. You're best off going there, parking outside, and just listening. Keep in mind that planes land and take off into the wind. So the noise will depend on how the wind is blowing that day.

The neighborhood we bought in is outside the noise contours, but you can still hear planes. And in our neighborhood, it's even more dependent on the wind. Some days you won't hear any aircraft and other days you will. It just depends on which direction they're landing and taking off from.

According to the RDU noise site, "About 45 percent of takeoffs annually are to the northeast with landings from the southwest". So you'll want to observe noise levels from both directions when you're deciding on a neighborhood.

Check out:
RDU Aircraft Noise Program

The noise contour map can be found here:
http://www.rduaircraftnoise.com/noiseinfo/Composite_Noise_Contours_11x17.pdf (broken link)
Thanks, this is excellent info. In Virginia Beach, when you look at a home listing there's a aircraft noise grade already on the listing, so you know when looking through the mls for the area how noisy it will be living in a particular home.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:29 PM

289 posts, read 382,824 times
I live in Carpenter Village and it is a VERY friendly neighborhood. Maybe the visitors came during a very cold or very hot day? That is the only time I don't see tons of people out walking their dogs, chatting with the neighbors. Between the alleys and the porches we interact a lot.

When some neighbors learned that we were building our house, they tracked down our phone number and invited us to a block part before ground was even broken.

We have a swim team, Easter egg hunt, Halloween parade, Breakfast with Santa and Mrs. Claus, summer concerts......they are even thinking of adding a 5-K. We have a website and discussion board to arrange any meeting you'd like.

Try www.ourcarpentervillage.com .

I wanted to add that I used to have a theory that in Carpenter Village you could find one child born for every single month going back years. After a few times at the playground my new theory is that there are TWO children for each month in Carpenter Village. It's like a rule here that you have to have kids under 10.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:39 PM

353 posts, read 960,732 times
This is great to hear. Thanks. Of course, we have to come back (again) and check out the HOA's since we originally were looking in Chapel Hill. We will cruise through the neighborhoods and hang out a bit to see what is going on. But, it is nice to hear from the residents themselves. Sounds like a great place.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:03 PM

286 posts, read 701,351 times
I live off of church street in morrisville, closer to the airport than carpenter village. The air traffic is not bad at all. Planes come by VERY frequently but I hardly notice it. If you're inside your house with the tv or something on you probably won't notice it at all. I think you have to be pretty picky to rule an area out because of something like that.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 PM

1,832 posts, read 3,083,689 times
Hi! My sister and brother in law just moved into Amberley. Their kids will go to Green Hope elementary, Panther Creek High, and I forgot the middle school. I think they're zoned for a new school in 2 years though. They bought a GORGEOUS house in Amberley Village Square in the 400-500k range. The down side is seriously small lots, but the up side is the amenities--awesome pool, fitness center, etc. I am not sure about tennis courts but they do have a web site you can check out. They love it and have 3 kids under the age of 6 and don't miss the 1/2-acre they used to have.

Highcroft and the newer version (Highcroft VIllage maybe?) are also very nice. They have somewhat larger lots. Also, when we went there the sales rep told us that the builder is offering a social membership to Preston CC as a perk--not sure what that includes.

We also looked at Greystone, which is in your budget but I don't think they have tennis courts. There's a Y quite near there, I believe, though. And there's always Cary Park, which I believe has a lot of amenities.

I hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary