Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 AM

56 posts, read 149,044 times

Advertisements

I receive my internet access via cable modem at home through Time Warner cable and pay around $40.00 to 45.00/month and am trying to find cheaper access, yet sacrifice as little quality as possible. I won't go dial-up, but am looking for ideas how to get a better price. Anyone know of someone else offering less expensive service (dsl, or something I don't know about)? I live in Chapel Hill.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:56 AM

531 posts, read 1,979,226 times
I look at it this way: since I'm only paying an average of 8.00 a month for internet phone, the 46-ish-dollar bill for cable internet is offset by not having to pay 30 bucks for standard landline phone service! Add a small cheap battery backup unit and you've got power-outage-resistant phone service just like Verizon gives you. Take a look at the total picture

Old 07-10-2009, 05:03 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,594,892 times
You can get DSL for $19.95 per month - it's 728 Kbps though, so if you do a lot of downloading it probably won't work for you.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:05 AM

531 posts, read 1,979,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
You can get DSL for $19.95 per month - it's 728 Kbps though, so if you do a lot of downloading it probably won't work for you.
Can you watch TV episodes on DSL? I watch a lot of TV now on NBC.com and ABC.com. Does 728 Kbps cut the mustard?

Old 07-10-2009, 05:33 AM

100 posts, read 242,440 times
Quote:
Can you watch TV episodes on DSL? I watch a lot of TV now on NBC.com and ABC.com. Does 728 Kbps cut the mustard?
Yes. You could even get by with half or a quarter of that speed... those sites buffer the video. There is no need for an 5-10Mbps download rate (especially when TWC limits your upload and compresses that upload severely, bastards), unless you are constantly downloading large files (GigaBYTES in sizes) / torrents and the such...and even then you are limited to the source upload rate to your download rate, so you might be wasting money for no reason. Educate yourself.

More importantly is having a low latency rtt, no packet loss, etc..etc..Only pay for the bandwidth you can afford.

The op didn't mention anything about phone service, and you are giving inaccurate information on cost, so try to stay on message TWC fanboi...

Last edited by bull_city_original; 07-10-2009 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: e

Old 07-10-2009, 06:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,884,454 times
Buy a can of Pringles, take 'em over to your next door neighbor with a couple of beers, and talk him into building a home-made signal booster for his wireless router and point it at your house so you can piggy back on his internet service.

How to: Make a Pringles Can Signal Booster - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Old 07-10-2009, 08:07 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,359,709 times
I started with the 768k internet from TWC for $14.95/month when I moved last year. That contract expired and they wanted $24.95 for it. I resigned for $19.95/month for the 1.5 mb package valid for 1 year.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 AM

220 posts, read 864,586 times
Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Buy a can of Pringles, take 'em over to your next door neighbor with a couple of beers, and talk him into building a home-made signal booster for his wireless router and point it at your house so you can piggy back on his internet service.

So it that how it works? I've been in places before where you could get signial wireless from your neighbor, but I always wondered why... hmm.. well thumbs up if you can do it that way!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:48 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,359,709 times
I have to assume it violates the TOS of the provider but sometimes I wonder if you could get a few neighbors together and have one person buy the internet, and broadcast the signal using a high powered router, then split the bill 4-5 ways. I doubt anyone would know as long as you kept it quiet.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 PM

26 posts, read 172,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

This is absolutely a good idea & to me people should look into doing this more often. All you have to do is just look at the number of wireless connections available right around your home and you can see how good the signal is even without a booster. I wish I had neighbors that I felt comfortable with asking about doing a deal like this with, because if say 3 people were to share a turbo connection from Time Warner just imagine the savings each month for each person. Everyone would still be getting a very good connection and pretty good speed if no one hogs the bandwidth with movie downloads and stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary