Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 01:22 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times

Advertisements

April is always an AWESOME month for fescue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 PM

19 posts, read 29,360 times
Your landlord is lucky to have such a respectful tenant. The fact that you are taking pride in the home speaks volumes.

BTW - watering in the morning is definitely the way to go. Watering at night will encourage diseases and is a waste since the heat expelling from the soil just turns the water to steam.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanFactors View Post
Watering at night will encourage diseases
Why is this? I don't doubt you... just never heard this and wonder why it encourages diseases????

Old 07-11-2009, 05:10 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Why is this? I don't doubt you... just never heard this and wonder why it encourages diseases????
Because the excess water sits there and encourages fungus growth.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:48 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Because the excess water sits there and encourages fungus growth.
True. Watering in early morning gives the grass the chance to drink up without a lot of evaporation. Also, the sun and heat during the day eliminate moisture sitting on it at night, when fungus can grow when temps reach about 70 degrees at night. Also, watering in the morning actually "rinses away" any fungus that may have started during the previous night because of dew or rain. Brown patch is the nastiest and can appear overnight. I learned this the hard way on my first property when I unknowingly watered new grass at night!

I used to have quite a nice lawn up north... but that was a different type of grass and a different climate.... so I appreciate the Fescue enlightenment

I'm not sure if this applies here also in NC with Fescue, but up north in the summer on really hot days (with bluegrass) it was good to run the irrigation/sprinkler for about 15 min. during the hottest part of the day to "cool down" the grass to prevent excess heat stress. But it's probably so hot down here all the time that it would be pointless.... just a guess.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:21 PM

214 posts, read 695,272 times
Bear in mind that bermudagrass will only germinate when temps are consistently over 60-70 degrees depending on the cultivar, and bermuda likes to grow when its crazy hot. Unlike cool weather grasses like fescues, you need seed bermuda before fall, preferably late spring or early summer. You could do it now if you wanted to get a new lawn permit and water every day, but since you are renting (I assume relatively short term) your best bet may be to throw down some rye grass seed over the fescue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary