U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-27-2009, 03:24 PM

514 posts, read 563,012 times
Anything is better than a Buffalo winter. I still remember when it snowed 7 feet in four days during Christmas. And, it has snowed two feet in 24 hours there.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-27-2009, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 6,637 times
I am from MI and I have been here for 2 1/2 years. I absolutely adore NC weather. I am a person who hates being cold and loves hot weather. since i been here the first winter the worse it would get is a little snow early in the morning and it would be gone by sunrise. then this winter we did have a couple inches of snow and stuff closed down-it was great. but it seems like (maybe i'm wrong) the real winter is from december to february and it's usually gets as low as the 40's in the day time and at night average cold is like 20 degrees. You don't need a really thick coat or hat, gloves, boots. although it does get pretty cold at night. It seems like a very short winter and most of the time here it is warm or hot. I think MI summers are more humid. It just gets hot here but i love the way the heat feels-its like the sun beaming on you.

Unread 09-27-2009, 07:30 PM

542 posts, read 834,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
Anything is better than a Buffalo winter. I still remember when it snowed 7 feet in four days during Christmas. And, it has snowed two feet in 24 hours there.
I'm definitely not comparing the winters of Raleigh to Buffalo, but it has also snowed two feet in 24 hours here too.

Mike

Unread 09-27-2009, 08:15 PM

514 posts, read 563,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
I'm definitely not comparing the winters of Raleigh to Buffalo, but it has also snowed two feet in 24 hours here too.

Mike
I bet it the snow didn't stick around to long!

Unread 09-27-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
I bet it the snow didn't stick around to long!
You're right, it only stuck around for a couple of weeks.

Mike

Unread 09-27-2009, 08:22 PM

Below is a link to the NWS of Raleigh, NC and there is a wealth of info about past weather events.

Past Events -NWS Raleigh, NC

Mike

Unread 09-27-2009, 10:12 PM

7,427 posts, read 8,147,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
Below is a link to the NWS of Raleigh, NC and there is a wealth of info about past weather events.

Past Events -NWS Raleigh, NC

Mike
Mike is correct. But, to be fair, it was a "once in a lifetime" sort of event.

Unread 09-27-2009, 10:59 PM

967 posts, read 1,200,327 times
That two-foot snow in the Raleigh area was something people here will probably see every 25-50 years, if that. What have we had since then that has been even close? Nothing. The most it's snowed in the last ten years has been maybe a few inches, and it's melted immediately, like in a couple of days.
Winter snow here?
Whimpy. Very Whimpy. And disappointing if you have kids who look forward to snow. Or even if you're an adult who loves it.
best,
toodie

Unread 09-27-2009, 11:48 PM

2,488 posts, read 3,808,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
That two-foot snow in the Raleigh area was something people here will probably see every 25-50 years, if that. What have we had since then that has been even close? Nothing. The most it's snowed in the last ten years has been maybe a few inches, and it's melted immediately, like in a couple of days.
Winter snow here?
Whimpy. Very Whimpy. And disappointing if you have kids who look forward to snow. Or even if you're an adult who loves it.
best,
toodie
Actually the most it has snowed in the last 10 years was that 20" snowstorm in 2000. Then we had a foot of snow around January 2-3, 2002. Since then we haven't topped much over 6" in any single storm. Which is nice if snow isn't your thing.

Unread 09-28-2009, 05:14 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,332,378 times
I'm a fan of winter in Raleigh, we usually get just a couple of light snows and it typically melts quickly enough. Just be prepared when it does snow (or is predicted) because we have a few local customs that probably seem odd to Buffalo natives ... like the mere prediction of light snow causing a run on milk and bread.

My opinion, but the best part of winter here is the number of blue sky days .. even if its cold, the lack of overcast weather is a big plus.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary