Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,326 times

Advertisements

13 year old kids are to old to have a themed party. 13 is the year they are FINALLY teenagers, they want to make an impression of themselves. So instead of doing a themed party, you could have a sleepover- inside or out- and do a billion different things that reflects your kid.

For example they could have a contest to see how long somebody could hold a spoon full of cinnamon- or how many marshmallows they can stuff- in their mouth, have a silly string fight, apple diving, dance off, truth or dare, would you rather, scavenger hunt,or maybe even a blind folded ice cream test.

These are some of the ideas that my 12 year old daughter wants to do for her party and I figured I would just throw this out there. Not to mention, it barely costs anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 AM

277 posts, read 797,796 times
Default Thank you

I want to thank all the contributors (and OP of course) to this thread. I have been struggling with what to do for my daughter's 13th birthday for the past week. Our budget is tight, especially it being just after Christmas, so I was looking for cost friendly ideas. I think, at times, every parent wishes they could lavish their children with exactly what they want, no matter the cost....me included.

Unfortunately, I can't do that but would be hesitant to anyway because I want her to understand the value of spending quality time with your friends is more important than the expensive glitz and glam. It doesn't help when the majority of her friends come from well off households that are able to spend $500 on a birthday party without blinking an eye, or so it seems. I understand quite well, that it's a "keeping up with the Joneses" kind of thing that I refuse to even try to compete with, but, naturally, my daughter sees what her friends are doing and wants the same thing.

Long winded way around to saying thank you for helping me come up with some less expensive ideas that I hope will make for a memorable slumber party for her....love this group of people and the help you are all so willing to take the time to give

Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,805 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Here's a suggestion for a 13th Birthday party. Have all the girls bring donated clothes and canned good and take them to a shelter to dish up dinner for homeless people or better yet take them to a nursing home to help with entertaining the residents with a musical production or skit or just talk to lonely older folks. This kind of "party" will teach them more for their future lives than any hotel and limo escapade. And since they have aged out of hotel parties by age 11 this would be novel and give them something to think about instead of more stuff and self centered activities.

After all----the real world is just around the corner for these girls.
Thank you for speaking the truth! It's good to know the whole world hasn't lost their mind. It's hard not to get sucked into some of this...but we have to be strong for our kids and their future. God bless.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:57 PM

36 posts, read 78,071 times
My 13yr old girl says Defy Gravity (DefyGravity Trampoline Arena > Home). She has recently been to a couple there and had a blast. 2nd on her list would be a spa-party (somewhere like Skin Sense in Brier Creek has a Teen spa) followed by slumber party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary