U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: pest control, spider exterminators, tornado warning sirens, weather,.

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2007, 11:53 AM
 
21 posts, read 69,819 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

While I'm picturing living in Wake forest being mostly like New England (weather and nature wise) without the long cold snowy winters, my wife is very concerned about the tornadoes and snakes. From what I've read on this site so far, there's not alot to be overly concerned about, right? She's worried that she'll never be able to sleep through a thunderstorm without always gathering the kids up and going to a safe place in the house. Do residents do this often? She's also concerned that she'll never want to garden again for fear of finding a poisonous snake (or spider). Is she just overly concerned?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2007, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest
3,124 posts, read 11,454,172 times
Reputation: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2NC View Post
While I'm picturing living in Wake forest being mostly like New England (weather and nature wise) without the long cold snowy winters, my wife is very concerned about the tornadoes and snakes. From what I've read on this site so far, there's not alot to be overly concerned about, right? She's worried that she'll never be able to sleep through a thunderstorm without always gathering the kids up and going to a safe place in the house. Do residents do this often? She's also concerned that she'll never want to garden again for fear of finding a poisonous snake (or spider). Is she just overly concerned?

Thanks!
She's way overly concerned. The Triangle area is not the middle of a rural swamp or something.

I have lived in Wake Forest for the past 3 1/2 years....we've never had tornado in the area...just a few watches...but I remember those from when I lived in Ayer, MA. Heck, there aren't even that many thunderstorms down here. We've never 'gone into hiding' for a tornado. (I know what that is like, a year before we moved, my hometown in Ohio was hit by a tornado.)

I have a yard that backs up to a small creek....we've seen one small garter snake in all that time. (I remember my cat catching one of them in Ayer as well....looked like she had a wiggly mustache!) Spiders? One brown recluse on the side of the house. I took him back to the creek. We don't spray for spiders either, but that is always an option if your wife is truely terrified.

We have seen a crab and some minnows in the creek though. (I think the crab took a wrong turn somewhere on the coast!)

On these forums you have a very 'concentrated' view of things....sure, we talk about seeing an occasional snake...but if you have 20 folks saying they've seen one....it could be that those 20 sightings took place over a combined 80 years of living in NC....not all 20 in a week!

I guess you could say that Wake Forest is slightly New England in feel...but...well...not really. It's very North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Downtown Raleigh, NC
2,086 posts, read 6,780,021 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2NC View Post
While I'm picturing living in Wake forest being mostly like New England (weather and nature wise) without the long cold snowy winters, my wife is very concerned about the tornadoes and snakes. From what I've read on this site so far, there's not alot to be overly concerned about, right? She's worried that she'll never be able to sleep through a thunderstorm without always gathering the kids up and going to a safe place in the house. Do residents do this often? She's also concerned that she'll never want to garden again for fear of finding a poisonous snake (or spider). Is she just overly concerned?

Thanks!
Aww, your poor wife is really making a moutain out of a molehill! I've never once gotten into a closet or any other safe place during a thunderstorm in my entire life! Hurricanes and tornados, yes; thunderstorms, no. And I've lived in thunderstorm and hurricane prone areas my whole life, so I've seen some pretty bad ones. It's the tornados she needs to worry about, but this isn't Kansas or Oklahoma we're talking about here. One thing that I found out though, is that the Triangle area doesn't seem to have storm sirens, so a weather radio is probably not a bad idea.

As far as snakes and spiders go, if you're working in the garden, rustling around, making noise, most of these things will not be around. Snakes and spiders don't wait around ready to attack at any moment; on the contrary, they are usually trying to get away from people when they are aware of them. This isn't to say she may not see a snake or some bugs here and there, but I wouldn't be that worried about it. The area is certainly not crawling with creepy crawlies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2007, 12:22 PM
 
21 posts, read 69,819 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
She's way overly concerned. The Triangle area is not the middle of a rural swamp or something.

I have lived in Wake Forest for the past 3 1/2 years....we've never had tornado in the area...just a few watches...but I remember those from when I lived in Ayer, MA. Heck, there aren't even that many thunderstorms down here. We've never 'gone into hiding' for a tornado. (I know what that is like, a year before we moved, my hometown in Ohio was hit by a tornado.)

I have a yard that backs up to a small creek....we've seen one small garter snake in all that time. (I remember my cat catching one of them in Ayer as well....looked like she had a wiggly mustache!) Spiders? One brown recluse on the side of the house. I took him back to the creek. We don't spray for spiders either, but that is always an option if your wife is truely terrified.

We have seen a crab and some minnows in the creek though. (I think the crab took a wrong turn somewhere on the coast!)

On these forums you have a very 'concentrated' view of things....sure, we talk about seeing an occasional snake...but if you have 20 folks saying they've seen one....it could be that those 20 sightings took place over a combined 80 years of living in NC....not all 20 in a week!

I guess you could say that Wake Forest is slightly New England in feel...but...well...not really. It's very North Carolina.
Thanks, Desdemona. Hopefully posts like yours will help my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 PM
 
214 posts, read 630,795 times
Reputation: 47
Wait til she sees the lizard things...even though they are harmless, they still freak me out when I see them. We didn't have those back in Mass! I personally have not seen any snakes or spiders since I have been here- saw more of those up North. The tornado warning/watch thing takes a little getting used to- had a warning over the weekend that looked like it was heading right towards Clayton but we just got heavy rain. Every part of the country has their weather related woes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM
 
21 posts, read 69,819 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Aww, your poor wife is really making a moutain out of a molehill! I've never once gotten into a closet or any other safe place during a thunderstorm in my entire life! Hurricanes and tornados, yes; thunderstorms, no. And I've lived in thunderstorm and hurricane prone areas my whole life, so I've seen some pretty bad ones. It's the tornados she needs to worry about, but this isn't Kansas or Oklahoma we're talking about here. One thing that I found out though, is that the Triangle area doesn't seem to have storm sirens, so a weather radio is probably not a bad idea.
Actually the tornadoes is what she's worried about. Do you get enough warnings in the Raleigh area to have the need for sirens? I didn't thinkthat was the case. She's more concerned with there being warnings a few times a week to the point that she really can't relax (out of fear).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2007, 12:29 PM
 
21 posts, read 69,819 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshel88 View Post
Wait til she sees the lizard things...even though they are harmless, they still freak me out when I see them. We didn't have those back in Mass! I personally have not seen any snakes or spiders since I have been here- saw more of those up North. The tornado warning/watch thing takes a little getting used to- had a warning over the weekend that looked like it was heading right towards Clayton but we just got heavy rain. Every part of the country has their weather related woes.
Are the warnings frequent occurrences? I could put up with a warning here and there if it meant I didn't have to look forward to five months of snow and cold in MA. I really don't like winters in MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Downtown Raleigh, NC
2,086 posts, read 6,780,021 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC2NC View Post
Actually the tornadoes is what she's worried about. Do you get enough warnings in the Raleigh area to have the need for sirens? I didn't thinkthat was the case. She's more concerned with there being warnings a few times a week to the point that she really can't relax (out of fear).

Well, I don't know for sure how many tornado watches occur per year, but as far as I'm concerned, there should be a system in place if you have even one watch per year. At any given time there are plenty of people who won't have access to television/radio and the sirens will alert everyone equally. That's just how I see it.

That said, it's definitely not a few times a week. In fact, we really haven't gotten much heavy rain lately at all - just that last storm that effected the entire East Coast. It's not something that is always a threat, but when the occasion arises that the weather gets really bad, you just have to use common sense and stay informed. Just tell her that she has far less chance of ever being stuck in a blizzard here!

Oh, yes the lizards, they are the cutest little things, but I have a feeling your wife won't like 'em too much. She'll definitely see more of those than snakes! They are completely harmless. In fact when they get in your house, it's always quite the game to catch them so you can let them out - they are quick and always trying to get away from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2007, 04:27 PM
 
214 posts, read 630,795 times
Reputation: 47
This past weekend was my second tormado warrning since I moved here last August. Neither panned out but it was interesting waiting. I for one will not miss the blizzards or the noreasters. You will love the winters here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2007, 04:40 PM
 
3,021 posts, read 9,883,543 times
Reputation: 1618
BC2NC, please tell your wife that she has nothing to worry about. Seriously. I would bet good money that she is far more likely to be injured in a car wreck than bitten by a snake or caught in a tornado in North Carolina.

I'm originally from Tornado Alley (lived there for 30 years) and although I've seen tornadoes with my own eyes, I have never known a single person who lost a home to a tornado. Not a one. And that's actually the norm. Very very few people actually experience personal or property damage due to tornadoes - and that's in the area with the highest number of tornados than anywhere else on the entire planet! The idea of not moving to Oklahoma or Kansas or Texas simply because of tornados is absolutely laughable to anyone who lives there.

Then consider that North Carolina gets FAR FAR fewer tornado warnings than in Tornado Alley and ... well, it isn't even an issue, frankly.

Tornadic conditions tend to occur in the spring and early summer, when warm fronts and cool fronts meet. So that limits most of tornado season to 3 months (April, May, and June). During those 3 months, you might experience one or two storms a week in the Triangle. Of those, the Triangle may get just a couple tornado watches a month (and remember that a tornado watch is MUCH different - and less dangerous - than a tornado warning). And even then, the tornado watch may not affect the county in which you live. I imagine your family could pass many years here in North Carolina without ever running for cover during a tornado warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top