Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:41 AM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times

Advertisements

We are having one in two weeks, and while I didn't plan to do anything dumb like leave cash out in plain site, I was surprised to hear from someone I know that at her yard sale last weekend they were targeted with husband-wife pairs, asking about stuff, distracting them, then running off with items. This was shocking to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:52 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Yes, I've seen this happen. That's why you really need at least 2 people to "work" a yard sale.

ETA: you also want to be vigilent after the sale is over, especially if you've advertised. People know that you're likely to have lots of cash in the house that weekend, so just be sure to keep doors locked and alarms set (if you have them). Of course, after all the work of a yard sale in the summer, you'll probably be too exhausted to leave the house anyway.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,186 times
Yes, I had people try to walk off with stuff at my yard sale. I also had two sisters who were putting $1 price stickers on item that were $5 and trying to convince me that I had been asking $1 on them. They were also shoving stuff in their own plastic bags and then trying to say "$3 for the whole bag!". They were so overbearing and actually yelling at me. You have to be able to yell back at them and ask people like that to leave.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-14-2009 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: I think the "Indian" part wasn't necessary -- thanks.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:53 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Yes, I've seen it. Recruit a neighbor to help you watch stuff and to watch people while you are dealing with others. People are ruthless at yard sales around here!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Just a FYI.....In California there were issues with counterfeit money at garage sales so people were using those pens that detect counterfeits. I know for some a garage sale is just a way to get rid of excess "junk" but for others (especially in these economic times) you may really need the extra cash...so it may not hurt to have one of these pens handy especially if someone wants to give you a twenty for a dollar item.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
People stealing from yard sales is just pathetic.. sometimes I wonder what this world is coming to!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
People stealing from yard sales is just pathetic.. sometimes I wonder what this world is coming to!
I agree! I've had several yard sales myself and have never had a problem. Even when it's gotten towards the end, I would go inside. If somebody was interested in something, they would just knock on the door.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 AM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times
Wow, I am a little bummed. I was looking forward to having a fun day. I have frequented many yard sales in Illinois and have been to some down here, though not as many, and have just not seen anything like this.

I wouldn't be suprised if someone pocketed something, as a "crime of opportunity" but this kind of premeditated approach is sad.

I have decided that I will keep the kids locked inside with their grandmda and my husband and I will do the sale. He will keep a fanny pack on him, with the money in that.

As for people coming by later, good thing we have three dogs in the house now, my neighbor has two large dogs, my other neighbor has two large pit-bulls. Hopefully if they all start barking it will scare people away.

The idea of even an attempted home-invasion just to make (perhaps) a few hundred bucks is scary.

I would donate it or but individual items on craiglists but I could really use some money from it and craiglists is too time consuming. I have speciality items (specifically high-end cloth diapers) so I am going to try to advertise certain places.

I live just a bit off Maynard Rd. in Cary. I wonder if putting a sign on Maynard would be asking for trouble?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Don't be dissuaded from having your sale or putting up a sign to advertise it.

There are still more good than bad people out there!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Be warned about Early Birds too. folks who show up the day before cause they know you are eager to selll. They are usually flea market sellers themselves. For all the reasons other folks have mentioned my husband and I decided to donate alot of money worth of things which would have sold at yard sale or on craigs list. But time is money and we just didin't have the time or energy to deal with it. We called a thrift shop sponsored by a charity and they brought their van several times and just loaded up and were happy to have it. and we were happy to give it away. And I'm not talking cheap things. We were trying to move and each delay day cost us money.

But if you have one definitely keep your house locked, don't let anybody use the bathroom or go into your home and be careful. There are alot of desperate folks out there.
good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary