Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,923 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for homes in the area for the past few months, and wonder...

If you wanted to build the exact home that is already in existence in one subdivision (recently built) in another subdivision on similar lots requiring similar prep work--shouldn't the assessed value of Wake county's 'building assessed value' and the builder's quoted price be close in value? Or since material and labor have decreased in the past year, even be lower? {both in Wake county, both solid subdivisions}

The lots of course will differ in base price and effect the overall price of the home, but just wondering about the structure to build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Nope. Assessments are not real time - they are as of a date in time, often several years ago (possibly even as of a date before the house was even built). I think Wake County does reassessments every 8 years (?).

When I bought my current house, it's assessed value was based on what it would have been had the house been built at the beginning of the assessment cycle (even though it was actually built 3 years later), so my assessment was much lower than current value/price.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,923 times
Thanks, I called the wake.gov office because I wondered how accurate this number was--they called up the property and said that the house assessment reflects the full market value upon completion of the home last fall. What do you think?

Besides new builds, values in general are as of 1/2008 and will be reassessed on 1/2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Nope. Assessments are not real time - they are as of a date in time, often several years ago (possibly even as of a date before the house was even built). I think Wake County does reassessments every 8 years (?).

When I bought my current house, it's assessed value was based on what it would have been had the house been built at the beginning of the assessment cycle (even though it was actually built 3 years later), so my assessment was much lower than current value/price.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Sounds like the house was completed at the same time reassessments were being done, so in that case I would expect that its assessment as of last fall is close to its market value last fall. So in answer to your original question - yes, I would expect a similar house to cost about the same as the assessment on the house you found.

Maybe one of the real estate gurus here can give a more informed reply than my uneducated guess.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
Good luck figuring out the mystery of Wake County's assesment process. I would suggest that the more you think like a logical person, the harder time you'll have understaning it. I will just throw in that since Wake County is frequently off by more than 10% with the size of the house (Wake is the only county I've owned a home in that did not have an accurate measurement of the home for assesment purposes), at times it seems like the outcome of the assesment is the luck of the draw. Also, how Wake County determines the value of the property the home is on which will certaintly differ from one subdivision to another and even within subdivisions at times is a mystery to me.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
It's awesome that the assessed values were taken at their peak and won't be redone for another 7 years from now. I know in my neighborhood values have fallen around 20% from their peak.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's awesome that the assessed values were taken at their peak and won't be redone for another 7 years from now. I know in my neighborhood values have fallen around 20% from their peak.
It doesn't matter much how the assessment compares to market value; what matters is how it compares to other properties. If others are similarly over-assessed, they are all still bearing a fair share of the tax burden.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter much how the assessment compares to market value; what matters is how it compares to other properties. If others are similarly over-assessed, they are all still bearing a fair share of the tax burden.
Where I moved from (Hampton Roads) properties were going up in value so fast the local Governments didn't know what to do with all that money. So they spent it (as wise Governments often do). 10%-15% pay raises for the employees, lots of pet projects, etc. This is what happens when the Government gets more money. It's sickening. They ended up lowering tax rates but that didn't keep the taxes even. What ended up happening is a lot of old, fixed income people were forced to sell and move away as they couldn't afford the taxes anymore.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,694,440 times
Quote:
And that definitely was an issue in my old Cary neighborhood. There was one house the builder built over and over in the neighborhood. As a two story home, there was no optional bonus room and it was about 3,700 sq. ft. If you look at the county's assesment, some of these homes are actually measured by the county at under 2,700 sq. ft. w/ a building value (not land) of $375k and others measured over 3,800 sq. ft. w/ a building value of $442k. Again, these homes were exactly the same size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary