Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 PM

19 posts, read 38,119 times

Advertisements

Hi

My kid will miss Kindergarden cutoff. I would like to try and enroll him to a private K. I am looking for a good secular school in Durham/Chapel Hill/RTP area that use the December cutoff. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,547 times
I don't have any advice but a question. If you put you child in kindergarten early, can they attend public school in the first grade the next year? My husband and I were considering it for our son.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:32 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
It is my understanding that in Orange County (and, presumably other NC districts as well) that a child who misses the kindergarten cutoff can still enter 1st grade the next year (regardless of whether they attended a kindergarten). I would suspect there is a second cutoff date to prevent this 1st grade entry, but I do not know what it is. At any rate, you can contact your local school district to find out the exact requirements.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
My understanding is that grade placement is ALWAYS the principal's decision, no matter what your past school experience. So there is no guarantee that private Kindergarten will ensure your child will go in public first grade the next year. Student Enrollment - Frequently Asked Questions

Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 PM

306 posts, read 883,304 times
It becomes the principal's decision AFTER Kindergarten. Early admission to Kindergarten is a Board of Education decision, and is a lot harder and a very strict process. But if you try to get your child into 1st grade early (the same cut off date applies) but it will be up to the Principal of your base school. Your child will still have to go through standardized testing to make sure they are up to speed with the rest of the kids. In Wake County Kindergarten is not required - not sure if that goes for all of NC, but I would think you'd have an advantage if you put your child in a private K if you're going to try and get them in to 1st grade early.

To the OP, sorry I know this isn't helpful as my experience has been in looking for private schools in Wake Co. but a lot of secular schools have changed their cut-off dates to match the new NC cutoff. I didn't find any that went out past October 15th.

Good luck-

Last edited by lunadesign; 07-15-2009 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-16-2009, 04:00 PM

19 posts, read 38,119 times
Thanks for all the input! Do I understand correctly that if we want to get into public school later we should take a test? I know that when you come from outside of NC you do not need one. Is that true only between K and 1 or also later? Should your kid show above class level or do they just test that you know what a kid who finish K should know?. I thought they can pick that from the report card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary