Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I move to Raleigh
Yes 14 93.33%
No 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 04:53 PM

32 posts, read 76,572 times

Advertisements

Well, I need to decide in the next couple of days if I want to move to Raleigh.

I have been offered a good job in Raleigh that is new and interesting. However, the job I have now is familiar and has some good things that are unique.

Maybe the main decision relates to the life style. I am a single guy living in a small town and it is hard. Raleigh would be much better. However, there is a major city about 2 hours away and I have some family there that I really enjoy visiting.

Please vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 PM

59 posts, read 268,798 times
This isn't something that a stranger can decide for you. There are so many variables. Got with your gut. That ususally works for me.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Wow, that is a tough one that only you can answer. Where do you currently live? What is it about living there that you don't like and what is it you are hoping to find here in Raleigh? The answers to those questions will go a long way to helping you decide what to do.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:17 PM

214 posts, read 663,863 times
There are way too many unknowns for us to answer. What is the area you're coming from? Is the job going to be paying more? etc.

All I can tell you is that I am from Raleigh and moved away 4 years ago for work and have spent the last 4 years trying to get back. Well, now I am 2 weeks from realizing that dream. For me, Raleigh is the perfect city. It's large enough to be considered a metropolitan area with the advantages that brings. It's small enough (in population only) that you don't feel overwhelmed. It's close to the beach. Close to the mountains. 4 legitimate seasons. etc, etc, etc.

But only you know what you're looking for. If you tell us exactly what you're looking for, we can tell you if the Triangle fits the bill or not.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the response. I do need to give more information. The job pays a little more, but that doesn't really matter to me.

My main problem is that being single in a small town is hard because I see allot of people who are much younger than me and allot that are much older (I am in my 30s). I joined some local classes to meet more people, but most of them were much older. I could date women 10 or 20 years older than me, but that is not what I want.

On the other hand, I really enjoy visiting my family near by and would miss that if I moved.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:39 PM

306 posts, read 1,192,562 times
New Guy - Look through this forum and read, read, read all the info you can about Raleigh and the surrounding area. Talk to your family and friends. Look at some of the sites that have pics and info online about Raleigh. Then sleep on it. No I am not kidding. If you wake up in the morning and still feel unsure than don't do it, it isn't the right for you right now. If you wake up in the morning and feel that yes you want to take that chance, do it. For any of us to vote yes or no is just not fair to you. If you moved and were miserable than we would all feel bad and if you didn't because we told you not to, same thing we would feel bad. Good luck in what ever you decide. Char

Old 04-19-2007, 05:45 PM

I did want everyone to vote. In any case, I will make up my own mind, but I thought it would be interesting.

Thanks for your great advice. I have been reading these forums and other sites.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:30 PM

214 posts, read 663,863 times
As for singles life, I did a quick google for "best cities for singles" and Raleigh came in the top 10 in 2 different articles.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:05 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,021 times
I voted and I say "Go For It" you only live once right? what's the worst that can happen?

Old 04-20-2007, 07:12 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
Sounds somewhat like my situation. I enjoy my family who is only just over an hour away but Raleigh will be over a 2 hour trip so I won't be able to see them nearly as much. Decisions, decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary