Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 PM
trp trp started this thread

2 posts, read 3,365 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Next weekend my fiancee and I get a chance to come down to the Triangle area for a week to check it out... We're looking to move thereabouts in 2010.

She lived in Raleigh several years ago, but evidently it's changed a lot in the time since. I lived in Camp LeJeune when I was a kid, so I've got some memories of the area but nothing recent.

We're now in upstate New York and in our mid-thirties; she's an electrical engineer, I'm a software engineer. Looking to have kids soon. Not so much into the bar/club scene anymore... more like being outdoors and checking out the sights. Nice restaurants, parks, rivers, hiking, that sort of thing.

Any ideas on things to see and do? We don't really have much of an itinerary yet.

One thing I want to do, after we've seen the city areas, is check out the less developed areas. Ideally, we'll be able to live out in the country, if there's any to be had, in a house with some acreage. Haven't found a whole lot searching around so far, at least not within 20-30 minutes of the Triangle. I've had a bit of luck heading North from Raleigh.

We're not really interested in all the housing developments that seem to be filling up the search results, and I get the impression that there are a ton of suburbs packing up the area around the Triangle. How far out would we have to go to find livable country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:22 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,251 times
I grew up in Durham and just moved to Efland which is very rural, yet convenient to everything. I can get to the smaller towns of Mebane and Hillsborough for grocery shopping and and a few restaurants in 5-10 minutes. Durham and Chapel Hill are only 20 minutes away. The airport and North Raleigh are about 30 minutes away. Greensboro is about 30 minutes away as well. Bahama and Rougemont are also very pretty and nice if you don't mind being a little bit further from things. I'm not sure how much land you are looking for, but Hillsborough is really great and is hands down my favorite town. Mebane is nice too and more affordable.

Durham and Hillsborough have the Eno River which is great for hiking,N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Eno River State Park I love it there so definitely check it out (I like the West Point on the Eno, Pleasant Green, and Cole Mill Rd. locations). Duke Forest also has lots of great trails, Duke Forest
Umstead Park and Lake in Raleigh is nice too, N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to William B. Umstead State Park

Here are some restaurants to check out:
America's Foodiest Small Town: In the Magazine : bonappetit.com
Where to Eat in America's Foodiest Small Town: The Bon Appetit Foodist: Blogs & Forums : bonappetit.com

While you are here I would check out downtown historic Hillsborough.
TOWN OF HILLSBOROUGH | Home
While there you can check out the new Gold Park <Gold Park> (http://www.ci.hillsborough.nc.us/GoldPark.asp - broken link) as well as the Occoneechee Speeday trail and Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area

In Durham check out:
The Sarah P. Duke Gardens and Duke Chapel
Ninth St.
2009 Durham Bulls Baseball Club
Brightleaf Square :: Fine Dining and Shopping in Downtown Durham
American Tobacco Historic District Homepage

Last edited by DanielleNC; 07-15-2009 at 01:50 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM
trp trp started this thread

2 posts, read 3,365 times
Thanks guys, that's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I'm not sure how much land you are looking for, but Hillsborough is really great and is hands down my favorite town.
4-5 acres, maybe -- nothing huge necessarily, but a good deal more than the typical lots I'm seeing listed.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:30 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp View Post
Thanks guys, that's awesome!

4-5 acres, maybe -- nothing huge necessarily, but a good deal more than the typical lots I'm seeing listed.

You will need a nice chunck of change for 5 acres, and at least 30% down.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:47 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
A lot depends on your price range and amenities you are looking for.

There are many places east/west/north/south of Raleigh that fit what you are looking for depending on the price point you are trying to hit.

In the north look to Youngsville and Franklinton in Franklin County or go a bit west young man to Granville county and Durham county!

From a retail perspective check out the formerly known as City City Stores and Linen & use to be Things stores. There is value there for someone willing to jump into retail.

I suppose the best view to see the immediate Raleigh area is to traverse the Beltline, either Inner or Outer loop works the same way but in a different direction.

To get a more Arc'd view of the area you can traverses the Outer 'soon to be a portion Toll road' 540. One can go from Morrisville to Knightdale and see all the trees and homes and businesses along it current Arc.

Good luck with your trip and I am 100% sure you will find exactly what you are looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary