Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 06:15 PM

180 posts, read 662,312 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Recently decided that my true calling is teaching...I have a BA in Am.Studies and want to pursue a lateral entry position somewhere in the Raleigh area.

Any ideas on where to even begin to start?? Great websites? I've done lots of research on lateral entry...but what are the chances of being hired?

THX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 02:26 PM

56 posts, read 163,092 times
There is a woman that I have been in contact with because my husband was considering doing the lateral move as well at one point. It does not seem to bad you need to contact her and she can fill you in from there...let me know if you need more info

Old 04-21-2007, 10:28 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,029,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLamothe View Post
Hi!

Recently decided that my true calling is teaching...I have a BA in Am.Studies and want to pursue a lateral entry position somewhere in the Raleigh area.

Any ideas on where to even begin to start?? Great websites? I've done lots of research on lateral entry...but what are the chances of being hired?

THX
THe wake county schools website is www.wcpss.net there may be information on there. I also know students at nc state who did lateral entry and for some reason I think they took some classes at meredith college to prepare for it

Leigh

Old 04-23-2007, 02:28 PM

57 posts, read 265,681 times
Give this site a try: http://www.ralc.ccs.k12.nc.us/ (broken link)

It's the web site for North Carolina's Regional Alternative Licensing Centers... basically, they help lateral entry candidates get certified to teach in NC. They are very helpful.

That said, in terms of finding a job in the area with no certification? Don't hold your breath. I've been looking for a few months and I can't get the time of day from any school district, even the ones that are supposedly desperate for teachers. I did not expect it to be so hard given my background/experience as a child welfare lawyer. Go figure.

Good luck!

curlygc

Old 07-09-2007, 04:32 PM

32 posts, read 246,613 times
Default Maybe think beyond Wake county

I'm teaching in Greensboro via Lateral Entry, and I can tell you the following:

1. There is no license in American Studies, so you have to check out the following page Qualifications for Lateral Entry (http://www.ralc.ccs.k12.nc.us/7%20qualifications.htm - broken link), to check out the facts, and then see what licensure areas there are on this page: RALC Licensing Areas (http://www.ralc.ccs.k12.nc.us/6%20Licensening%20Areas.htm - broken link)

I am guessing you would be qualified for Social Studies based on your degree.

2. Contact the RALC in your area. I think the one based in Fayetteville is the one that covers Wake county. Tell them that you'd like them to do a transcript review for you and to work up a plan of study. This will be very well received by potential employers.

3. After that, you should start looking for a job. Remember that Wake county pays well and is a draw for lots of teachers, so it may be much harder to get a position as a lateral entry teacher there. Technically, districts are supposed to hired fully licensed teachers first and then resort to lateral entry teachers when they are desperate. Natural enough, I suppose. I know that the schools that I contacted in the Raleigh area rejected me out of hand because of the license problem.

That said, Durham county, or any of the surrounding counties might be a better chance for you. A lot of the small southeastern counties have very high percentages of lateral entry teachers, so you wouldn't be treated like a zombie. I have found that school districts that have a prominently displayed lateral entry link on their main page are the ones that are the most receptive and in need to lateral entry teachers.

Well, I'll stop for now. I think I shoudl just create a web page for all this. Hmmm.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 PM

198 posts, read 910,102 times
Try the site teach4nc.org....it has all the info you need.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:08 PM

709 posts, read 934,105 times
You will make more money and less headaches selling Hondas or Toyotas.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:28 AM

32 posts, read 246,613 times
Default You'll Live Longer too

Well, I didn't say getting into teaching was a good idea. You will no doubt die earlier and, if you want to survive more than a year, you will have to become a pretty cold hearted and manipulative.

Yes, by all means, think twice. Or become a teaching assistant first - you could probably do that already with your degree. That way you'll know what you're into and maybe create an in for yourself via lateral entry. After all, you just need a principal to hire you.

Still, reconsidering your newly discovered love of teaching is a good idea, and not just because of the money.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:59 AM

180 posts, read 662,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralston View Post
I'm teaching in Greensboro via Lateral Entry, and I can tell you the following:

1. There is no license in American Studies, so you have to check out the following page Qualifications for Lateral Entry (http://www.ralc.ccs.k12.nc.us/7%20qualifications.htm - broken link), to check out the facts, and then see what licensure areas there are on this page: RALC Licensing Areas (http://www.ralc.ccs.k12.nc.us/6%20Licensening%20Areas.htm - broken link)

I am guessing you would be qualified for Social Studies based on your degree.

2. Contact the RALC in your area. I think the one based in Fayetteville is the one that covers Wake county. Tell them that you'd like them to do a transcript review for you and to work up a plan of study. This will be very well received by potential employers.

3. After that, you should start looking for a job. Remember that Wake county pays well and is a draw for lots of teachers, so it may be much harder to get a position as a lateral entry teacher there. Technically, districts are supposed to hired fully licensed teachers first and then resort to lateral entry teachers when they are desperate. Natural enough, I suppose. I know that the schools that I contacted in the Raleigh area rejected me out of hand because of the license problem.

That said, Durham county, or any of the surrounding counties might be a better chance for you. A lot of the small southeastern counties have very high percentages of lateral entry teachers, so you wouldn't be treated like a zombie. I have found that school districts that have a prominently displayed lateral entry link on their main page are the ones that are the most receptive and in need to lateral entry teachers.

Well, I'll stop for now. I think I shoudl just create a web page for all this. Hmmm.
Thanks so much for all that information!!! It's great to talk to someone who is going through it. My resume, cover letter, transcript and letters of reference are all set. Now I need to find a job! I'm moving to FV in September so SE Raleigh works as well as Johnston and Harnett Counties!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:46 PM

198 posts, read 910,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
You will make more money and less headaches selling Hondas or Toyotas.
Why would you even post this? This is exactly the irritating mess the board speaks of. People are on here trying to obtain or give useful info. He didnt ask your opinion- he asked for facts. If you cant help someone move on....or get a real life instead of hanging on message boards showing how miserable you are. I am sick of you and dont even know you because EVERYTHING is negative. Your humor (if that was the intent) is not needed here. I am glad the original poster ignored you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary