Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:06 PM

473 posts, read 1,517,452 times

Advertisements

I'm leaving, too. Just nothing good has happened to me here. And yes - I have a Master's. No jobs, bad relationship. Time to give Raleigh some space.

But I have to say, the people here are very friendly. And it is a very clean city, too. Just not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
SOrry you're having a rough time!
My SIL has an awesome job at Fidelity and she has NO degree. In fact, we've often commented on how well she is paid (over 60K) and how well she is treated by them (she's worked with there for over 10 years). So, I know for a fact that Fidelity employees people without bachelor's degrees.

That said, the markets everywhere are pretty saturated and people with degrees are are applying for (and getting) jobs which in the past did not require them. That's how it usually works out when the competition for jobs increases.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:45 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,340,922 times
Good luck with your move and transfer and hope it all works out the best for you!

Moving is never easy no matter what your situation, age, and gender is. Its tough and obviously compounded when one cannot find work in their new home.

The best advise I got years ago was that everything including people are relative. Relative to what your past locations way of life and life styles were. It rarely is ever like your past location(s) because in most cases who would ever move if where your moving to is exactly like where you came from?? People come here and I suppose anywhere they are moving to with great hope and anticipation for a 'better' life and sometimes those anticipations are to large and cannot be fulfilled.

This place is not perfect and certainly is not for everyone but for some its just right. So I don't think the Exodus to here is going to stop but just slow down a bit which is great for our infrastructure to catch up a bit for the next made rush to the triangle! Its coming, may not be tomorrow or next year but rest assured its coming!

As a point interest, moved here from up state NY and property taxes here are cheaper.

Housing, water, food, and basic staples are more here than up state NY.

But my upside is I never had to shovel sunshine yet!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneywayne View Post
...we thought we were going to Cincinnatti.
Be glad you're not moving to Ohio. Things are really bad there now and much worse off than NC or the triangle.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 PM

29 posts, read 67,082 times
Speaking of moving to Raleigh with job in hand... I'm moving there because of my fiance's job. I can transfer with my company, but I'd really like to find a job in my field, Architecture! Unfortunately, EVER search I do with EVER job search engine I can think of brings up IT jobs (i.e. systems architect, web designer). AHH!! If I never see another IT job posting, it'll be too soon. I've got 4 years drafting experience and got my degree in WI, does anyone know where I can start my search??

Old 07-16-2009, 07:10 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,995 times
Good Luck with your move. I think it's wise for people to think before moving anywhere with the country's unemployment rate. The last time I worked (and was laid off) was 9/2001. The unemployment rate was 4% and people thought that was bad. Now the state with the lowest unemployment rate is over 4%. I've heard nothing but good things about Phoenix...I wish I could pick up and move like that. I'm just too attached to home.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:37 PM

331 posts, read 1,311,056 times
Good luck in Phoenix but I do not think it will be any better there. We have family there, he is working 2-3 jobs because he cannot find one good job and she has been out of work for several months with not even a bite. Very dismal there and I honestly do not think it is dismal here. It is bad everywhere right now.

Quote:
I have lived here for five years and hate every minute of it, wife was transfered here by her company at the last minute when we thought we were going to Cincinnatti. There is no job market here unless you are in the medical field. I was told I am not educated enough to find work here, I only have an AA degree, with a background in banking and Insurance. Been laid off from the two jobs I did have and worked as a contractor at others, but no work for five months. Please think twice, it is expensive here, we came from Atlanta, and the cost of living I beleive is the highest of the southeast. The real estate market is in a downturn now, I live near Wake Forest and my home has declined 30K in the last two years. Dont be fooled by Realtors, the population is not growning, Teachers are being laid off, North Carolina has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation now almost 11%. We are in the process of moving to Phoenix and I cant wait. Wife secured a transfer, but we requested so we are paying for it, will rent our home since it will not sell, have 2600 square feet and would be lucky to get 200k. If you come, make sure you have a job in hand. Thanks

Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
Quote:
I have lived here for five years and hate every minute of it, wife was transfered here by her company at the last minute when we thought we were going to Cincinnatti. There is no job market here unless you are in the medical field. I was told I am not educated enough to find work here, I only have an AA degree, with a background in banking and Insurance. Been laid off from the two jobs I did have and worked as a contractor at others, but no work for five months. Please think twice, it is expensive here, we came from Atlanta, and the cost of living I beleive is the highest of the southeast. The real estate market is in a downturn now, I live near Wake Forest and my home has declined 30K in the last two years. Dont be fooled by Realtors, the population is not growning, Teachers are being laid off, North Carolina has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation now almost 11%. We are in the process of moving to Phoenix and I cant wait. Wife secured a transfer, but we requested so we are paying for it, will rent our home since it will not sell, have 2600 square feet and would be lucky to get 200k. If you come, make sure you have a job in hand. Thanks
wow that's a long time to be this miserable. but you might realize that the economic situation is bad throughout most of the world right now, not just in Raleigh. good luck in phoenix

Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,805 times
I wish the OP nothing but future success for he and his family in beautiful Phoenix, AZ.

OP, when you settle into Phoenix let us know how things are going for you. We love Phoenix and I wish that I was right behind you in heading there.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-16-2009 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: Edited response to post which has been deleted as off topic.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Dont be fooled by Realtors, the population is not growning.
Rodney,

I wish you the best in your move to AZ. Everyone deserves to be happy. I hope you find it there. I don't quite understand your comment about population growth but rest assured the population of this area is growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary