Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 AM

27 posts, read 237,430 times

Advertisements

I have an 8x5 area rug that needs a really thorough cleaning. We've had the rug for several years without cleaning it (aside from vacuuming, etc.), and our large dog recently urinated on it twice when he was sick.

Does anyone have experience with either steam cleaning or professionally dry cleaning an area rug? Which is the best method, in your opinion? Can you recommend a dry cleaner in Raleigh who did a good job on your rug?

Last edited by bronwen.wallace; 07-23-2009 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:53 AM

3,500 posts, read 6,144,829 times
What is the rug made of?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM

871 posts, read 3,011,452 times
Yes, I too want to know what it's made of. We have some runners and area rugs (J.C. Penney type) that we lay out on the driveway and brush and hose and scrub occasionally. They are rubber backed. I also have a wonderful Bissell scrubber that works on the wall-to-wall carpet and it does a fine job. Another thing is Oxyclean, my wife uses it on nasty stains and it makes it vanish, if not in reality then at least visually.

Further, what's your budget for cleaning it nicely?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Darn it - no idea what it's made of unfortunately. It's a basic low-pile area rug, the kind you would buy at Target or someplace similar. The fiber is synthetic. Really not expensive... just a rug we like very much.

The need for cleaning it is two-fold. (1) Spruce up the dingy appearance; (2) eliminate any evidence of pet urine, including evidence we can't see. Without going into too much detail, I'll say the dog in question was very sick at the time and there was a LOT of urine involved. We did the best we could, but we can see from the underside that it needs more attention. Basically, I think the whole rug needs professional attention.

Budget is up to $100.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 PM

545 posts, read 1,600,775 times
If you don't mind taking the rug in, I have seen a place on Atlantic Ave where you can take it to be cleaned. Think the name is Ace Rug Co??? It's right near the intersection w/ Hodges Rd. Since you take it in, it might be cheaper than having someone come to your home.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
If you don't mind taking the rug in, I have seen a place on Atlantic Ave where you can take it to be cleaned. Think the name is Ace Rug Co??? It's right near the intersection w/ Hodges Rd. Since you take it in, it might be cheaper than having someone come to your home.
That's probably the place my husband is thinking of. He drives Atlantic Ave on a daily basis.

Can anyone offer feedback on this business?

Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 AM

266 posts, read 1,050,326 times
Default Save $$$ and have a cleaner rug...

by doing it yourself.
Select a somewhat flat place like a drive way, wash it with a hose and let it dry. Take four 2 x 4's or similar lumber and make a square that is a bit larger than the rug. Drape a tarp or other large piece of plastic over the frame and use a hose to fill with enough water to cover rug. While it is filling, pour one half cap of liquid HE detergent or 1/2 cup Woolite in the "pool". Vacuum rug first then put it flat in the bath. Let it soak 30-60 minutes. If the rug has any feces or vomit from a pet, use a broom to scrub that area. Then slide out the piece of wood on the lowest side of the frame. Allow all water to drain. Replace wood and refill with clear water for rinse and let rug soak again. Remove wood as before to let drain. Roll up rug toward the low side before moving. Drape rug over railing or saw horses to further drain and dry. It will dry if you just leave it where it is, but it will take longer. Rugs are much heavier when wet, so you may need some help. Do not place back in house until completely dry. This sounds complex, but it it is amazingly easy. I have done it many times and my rugs look great and are squeaky clean.
Synthetic rugs like yours do wonderfully with this method, but you can also use it on wool rugs. The only thing is wool rugs are not completely colorfast and the dyes may stain the fringe and backing. If you do not have any of these materials, you can get them at a home improvement store pretty cheaply and then use them over and over again. Tarps and 2x4's have many uses. If you live in an apartment, ask a friend if you can use their driveway for a while. At least their drive will be nice and clean when you are through!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:07 AM

744 posts, read 1,258,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House Lady View Post
by doing it yourself.
Select a somewhat flat place like a drive way, wash it with a hose and let it dry. Take four 2 x 4's or similar lumber and make a square that is a bit larger than the rug. Drape a tarp or other large piece of plastic over the frame and use a hose to fill with enough water to cover rug. While it is filling, pour one half cap of liquid HE detergent or 1/2 cup Woolite in the "pool". Vacuum rug first then put it flat in the bath. Let it soak 30-60 minutes. If the rug has any feces or vomit from a pet, use a broom to scrub that area. Then slide out the piece of wood on the lowest side of the frame. Allow all water to drain. Replace wood and refill with clear water for rinse and let rug soak again. Remove wood as before to let drain. Roll up rug toward the low side before moving. Drape rug over railing or saw horses to further drain and dry. It will dry if you just leave it where it is, but it will take longer. Rugs are much heavier when wet, so you may need some help. Do not place back in house until completely dry. This sounds complex, but it it is amazingly easy. I have done it many times and my rugs look great and are squeaky clean.
Synthetic rugs like yours do wonderfully with this method, but you can also use it on wool rugs. The only thing is wool rugs are not completely colorfast and the dyes may stain the fringe and backing. If you do not have any of these materials, you can get them at a home improvement store pretty cheaply and then use them over and over again. Tarps and 2x4's have many uses. If you live in an apartment, ask a friend if you can use their driveway for a while. At least their drive will be nice and clean when you are through!
This is an outstanding, helpful post! We have a few handmade Persian rugs. When they needed cleaning we took them to a rug merchant in Durham to have them cleaned and he used basically the same method you describe.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 37,206 times
Default Wool area rug cleaning

I have Chinese wool area rug. It has some coffee stains. I need it cleaned. Any recommendations?
Thank you.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,178,032 times
Use Nature's Miracle found at pet stores to remove the urine. It has enzymes that get rid of the biological matter and any residual smell. Take it outside, saturate the area and let it dry. Then, use a steam cleaner like a Rug Doctor to clean the whole thing. A machine will help suck the extra water out so it will dry faster. I've had to do the same, but with a wool rug and it came out looking great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary