Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,193,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drson81 View Post
Grab the wheel firm, and hit brakes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drson81 View Post
But yes be safe
Pls make up your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
if someone hits you at 80mph, you should be less worried about fault and more worried about dying or seriously injuring yourself or other drivers on the side of you. if someone flies up on you and tailgates you and you have nowhere to go, then they're being a jerk. if you're just not in the mood to move over or speed up for someone who wants to get by, then you're a jerk. it takes two to tango, and in any event, it's not really worth risking an accident because you're can't swallow your pride and let some idiot pass you. there's also always the possibility that some imbalanced nut is behind you, and will follow you home or has a gun with them or whatever. if someone flies up behind me, i speed up slightly to pass someone and move over
Very well said, even if it falls on deaf ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:16 AM

46 posts, read 306,813 times
I drive slow so I always keep right as that is the 'slow' lane.
I move to the left lane if I know I have to make a left up ahead, common courtesy.
If I drove the limit or only 5 over I'd expect people to tailgate me as well.
Face it, the cops allow 9 over the limit for a reason, anything less than that and you're asking for trouble and making a nuisance of yourself.
You can also be ticketed for driving too slowly because you're creating a hazard so I don't think slowing down even more is a good solution.
It's ironic that Gabbi99 is in a new car now as she rear ended someone earlier this year.
If she'd been following the 6 second rule she'd have had time to avoid the collision.
In other words, she was tailgating at the time.
Slamming on the brakes does not equal a new car and the person that hits you is not always at fault as Gabbi99 wasn't.
Putting your car in the repair shop for a week is a real inconvenience and your car will most likely never be the same, not to mention you may be hurt or killed.
The poor guy behind the tailgater you're playing with can sue you for stopping in traffic if he is involved in the accident YOU CAUSED.

Please remember, you don't know what type of day other drivers have had or what frame of mind they're in. Maybe he just lost his job, maybe her husband just left her, maybe they're drunk or on a cell phone. Best to just let them pass and get on with your day.

I try to keep that in mind and not take it personally, they don't know you so be a better person.

I moved here from LA (land of freeway shootings), last year, a city with more folks than the entire state of NC and I can say from experience, some of the things being suggested here would get you seriously hurt out there. I've seen people brandish weapons, throw full cans of Red Bull at 80 mph or get in front of you, come to a complete stop and get out with a hammer in one hand and walk back to you just to say hi.

Last edited by dodgerfan; 07-24-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 AM

307 posts, read 671,390 times
I know of a guy who did what you suggest, and sure enough, the tailgater rammed him. Unfortunately, the guy's gas tank exploded, and the drivers of both cars were burned to death. You're right, though. The tailgater was at fault.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:27 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,148,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
I know of a guy who did what you suggest, and sure enough, the tailgater rammed him. Unfortunately, the guy's gas tank exploded, and the drivers of both cars were burned to death. You're right, though. The tailgater was at fault.
im sorry, but i laughed when i read this. it's a good point, though

Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 PM

2,001 posts, read 3,570,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Hey - Help me understand how 13" brakes help in this situation ? You really think they make you stop faster? Seriously?

Frank

Uh yeah, more contact with the pads and rotors.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,657 times
If you're ever on the interstate {I40/I540}, dial 9-1-1 and they will put you in touch with highway patrol and dispatch someone if it warrants. I am not sure about local roads. Like others have said, just steer clear of them, if they want to kill themselves being reckless, let them. Don't attempt to kill me or anyone else in my vehicle or around me. I am driving 19 years, but consider driving a chore, I do not find any pleasure in driving nowadays...it's sad...I would rather drive with 20 big rigs around me then these aggressive drivers in passenger cars/suv's...What we need is more highway patrols, it's amazing how the driving habits immediately improve with a state trooper on the side of the road monitoring traffic...why can't it be like that all the time...

Old 07-24-2009, 01:55 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,059,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Uh yeah, more contact with the pads and rotors.
That only helps if you don't have enough brake torque to lock your tires with the original brakes. I asked, because every car I've ever driven was capable of locking the tires (or engaging ABS) completely stock. Now stickier tires *will* get you stopped quicker ...

Race cars are another story, but larger brakes there are for greater heat dissipation capacity.

Frank

Old 07-24-2009, 02:09 PM

72 posts, read 255,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
If you're ever on the interstate {I40/I540}, dial 9-1-1 and they will put you in touch with highway patrol and dispatch someone if it warrants. I am not sure about local roads. Like others have said, just steer clear of them, if they want to kill themselves being reckless, let them. Don't attempt to kill me or anyone else in my vehicle or around me. I am driving 19 years, but consider driving a chore, I do not find any pleasure in driving nowadays...it's sad...I would rather drive with 20 big rigs around me then these aggressive drivers in passenger cars/suv's...What we need is more highway patrols, it's amazing how the driving habits immediately improve with a state trooper on the side of the road monitoring traffic...why can't it be like that all the time...
Please don't use 911. As mentioned earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJM View Post
As another thread [here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...river-his.html] points out, talking on a mobilie phone while driving is as dangerous as drunk driving, therefore should be minimized.

If you must use a mobile phone while driving, then use "*HP" to get the Highway Patrol. Save 911 calls for emergencies.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 PM

57 posts, read 167,772 times
I drove 40 to and from the airport today, and I was a freaking nervous wreck.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,756,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
If you're ever on the interstate {I40/I540}, dial 9-1-1 and they will put you in touch with highway patrol and dispatch someone if it warrants.

I thought it was 5-1-1? I don't think 911 would deal with something like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary