Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:02 PM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Actually I did contact my legislators before the texting bill asking for tougher restrictions on cell phones and driving. I received a nice form letter back from one rep saying a generic thank you for showing interest and nothing from the other. My husband has also addressed some of his concerns about other issues to the state reps and the two U.S. senators and our rep in the house. He received one reply, again from our local rep that sent me the form letter. My husband's letter was personal and more detailed with specific explanations. So out of all that "contacting", only one has bothered to show any courtesy and reply.

So that is why I hold out little hope. Perhaps election time is better for contacting our representatives. Maybe then they will listen. And if I seem a little jaded, well I have been around a long time and seen a lot of things regarding our elected officials. I don't have enough money for them to listen to me.
I predict that both your representatives use cell phones while driving.
I would also predict that few of them text at all, including while driving.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Yes, I am certain that cell phone use makes one's driving much more distracted than even other "common" things such as changing radio stations. If only because it takes you to a different "place" (your mind is wherever the caller is, not on the road, and the caller can't see what you're dealing with. At least with a radio, you can stop instantly if a breach of safety intrudes; when yakking on a cell phone, the social expectation that one holds up the end of a conversation while talking makes most people concentrate harder on the phone than on driving. I try to ask when people call me and I know it's from their phone, and if they're in the car, I ask them to call me back when they aren't driving.

At least twice I've been in a car with someone who answered a phone (which is horribly rude, anyway, since they were in the middle of talking to me--it's no different than interrupting someone in usual circumstances) while driving, obviously nothing urgent, and I was scared for my life to be in the car with them. Once, someone was driving a stick shift and answered the phone! When it came time for him to downshift, I thought for sure he would put the phone down, but no--he just started steering with his knees so he could shift gears and maintain that all-important conversation about nothing. I will never get in a car with him again, and I hope he's never near me on the road.

Those who see a state trooper one the phone while driving should report them--I don't know to whom, but yes, it sets a horrible example.

Of course pedestrians who walk out into traffic while yakking on a phone are no better, and I see this constantly around the NC State campus.

Quote:
Driving to work on the 440 this morning
FYI, we don't say "the 440" or "the 540" here--just "440" or "540", though 440 is actually called "The Beltline". Welcome to the area

Old 07-23-2009, 08:39 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
I once saw an older woman driving down 540 reading a BIBLE. It was open on her steering wheel. (!)

Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I predict that both your representatives use cell phones while driving.
I would also predict that few of them text at all, including while driving.
You're right!!!! Maybe I should have texted them or twittered them or contacted them on Facebook while I was driving to work!

In reality, I have no idea what twitter is and have enough problems with Facebook on my computer without even trying to go there on my phone.

Still, it is scary out there driving these days.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I once saw an older woman driving down 540 reading a BIBLE. It was open on her steering wheel. (!)
At least she wasn't putting on her eye makeup and doing her hair while driving. I get behind these guys all the time.
It's like-get up 5 minutes earlier and do it!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
[quote]I once saw an older woman driving down 540 reading a BIBLE. [/QUOTE

I hope G_d was focusing on her driving at that moment. Maybe she was looking up what verses to read at her funeral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
At least she wasn't putting on her eye makeup and doing her hair while driving. I get behind these guys all the time.
It's like-get up 5 minutes earlier and do it!
You get behind guys putting on make-up and doing their hair?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 PM

It's been mostly women but there was this one guy. I actually passed him (the road is 4 lanes) to make sure I wasn't seeing things. He actually looked darn good! When I was behind him I saw a hairbrush and what looked like a blush brush.

Different strokes................

Oh. That time it was in Florida. No guys here yet. Just women.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:45 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, I am certain that cell phone use makes one's driving much more distracted than even other "common" things such as changing radio stations. If only because it takes you to a different "place" (your mind is wherever the caller is, not on the road, and the caller can't see what you're dealing with. At least with a radio, you can stop instantly if a breach of safety intrudes; when yakking on a cell phone, the social expectation that one holds up the end of a conversation while talking makes most people concentrate harder on the phone than on driving. I try to ask when people call me and I know it's from their phone, and if they're in the car, I ask them to call me back when they aren't driving.

At least twice I've been in a car with someone who answered a phone (which is horribly rude, anyway, since they were in the middle of talking to me--it's no different than interrupting someone in usual circumstances) while driving, obviously nothing urgent, and I was scared for my life to be in the car with them. Once, someone was driving a stick shift and answered the phone! When it came time for him to downshift, I thought for sure he would put the phone down, but no--he just started steering with his knees so he could shift gears and maintain that all-important conversation about nothing. I will never get in a car with him again, and I hope he's never near me on the road.

Those who see a state trooper one the phone while driving should report them--I don't know to whom, but yes, it sets a horrible example.

Of course pedestrians who walk out into traffic while yakking on a phone are no better, and I see this constantly around the NC State campus.

FYI, we don't say "the 440" or "the 540" here--just "440" or "540", though 440 is actually called "The Beltline". Welcome to the area
What would be the point in reporting them for doing something that is not illegal and merely a matter of opinion at this point as to whether it is good or bad driving? THe SHP have a lot worse things that they need to get in order first e.g. dog cruelty, sex assaults, DWI etc etc

Old 07-24-2009, 07:12 AM

72 posts, read 256,702 times
Yesterday on the 40 I saw a guy using both hands to tie his necktie while driving. Luckily it was towards the end of rush hour and traffic was lighter.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Drives me crazy too... I don't understand why certain people have to be on the cell phones for any extended period of time while driving?
They're morons. duh.

I am amazed that every single state hasn't banned this practice and had cops enforcing it in no small way. At this point w/all the losers obsessed w/their precious little cell phones I suspect it causes about as many accidents (if not more) as speeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary