Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdicorcia714 View Post
I am a northerner and I like the natives more than the people I met from my neck of the woods.
....and I can honestly say that I like some northerners more than I like some of the Raleigh natives around town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 AM

49 posts, read 88,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
I moved here a year ago from PIT and can't see myself ever moving back already. Don't miss it one bit.
Hi Jeff,

My husband and I (along with our 14 year old daughter) moved here to Pittsburgh around 5 years ago. Unfortunately, it was such a culture shock (and the fact our 17 year old son died in an accident - the week we moved to PA) for our daughter that we (she and I) ended up moving BACK to Scottsdale, AZ until she finished high school. Let me tell you, it's been a looooong 5 years. However, we have given it an honest effort to find enjoyment here, and even though we were in Scottsdale, we spent every single summer in Pittsburgh (or NY). It's been a year and a half since our daughter left for college (in florida) and we are ready to move hopefully for a final time. For us, Pittsburgh's never grown on us and we would rather move then to stay and hate living here.

I honestly didn't think that Pittsburgh would be so different as what we were used to. Being that we are orignially from Williamsville, NY (a suburb of Buffalo) we thought Pittsburgh would be similar. BOY WERE WE WRONG.

Besides the just plain dirtiness of the areas, the VERY rural roads (death traps if you will) the absolute lack of retail, restaurants and such, it was the closed-mindedness of the people that totally blew us away! I am an Obama supporter and my neighbors - who are really pretty nice - could not believe that I supported Obama. They were shocked that I even had the guts to outwardly campaign for him! We remain friends, but I can see the uneasiness in them when political issues are raised. Or, what I really believe it is - race issues more than political issues.

*side note* <Even though I do not like living in Pittsburgh, I do have to give the downtown area its props - it has really done a nice job fixing up the area and bringing more stuff to the downtown area.>

I have read so many websites, have read the brochures I've had sent to me from realtors, have been reading about this area for a month on here, have friends that live in the area that I am corresponding with, I feel I am getting a better picture of the place. We will be down the first week of December to see for ourselves.

Since most of our friends either live in Chapel Hill or Cary, we are gravitating toward those areas. The job offer is in Chapel Hill in the 27514 zip code area.

I am determined to know the triangle are far better than I "thought" I knew Pittsburgh before we make another move.

If you could compare the two for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many Thanks.

PS - I think I understand that the roads here are not lit very well, and many are single laned. Is that true? I am NOT looking for a rural area to live in. Fine if it's near by (which from what I know now, it is) but then again, if I wanted a big city feel, I'd move to New York City. I'm looking for a suburban area that is new, clean, liberal, has decent roads, streets signs are a plus, and a nice amount of shopping (sorry, I do like big box stores too) concentrated in one general area. The mall at Southpointe is okay, but I would probably just shop there once in a while, it's the normal everyday stuff (like Target, Super Wal-Mart, grocery stores, I guess *strip malls* if you will, and restaurants of every kind!)

Old 11-03-2009, 11:25 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I used to defend this place. Here lately, I just want to get back to the Northeast (Baltimore/DC area).
This area is fine, just boring as hell. No Zoo. No Aquarium. The parks are a joke. Science Center? I mean damn, do something.
Oh, and 1-2 hours to a zoo or aquarium is stupid.
I do like the Durham Bulls a lot, however.
I hate it here so much, I am looking forward to moving into a brand new house near The South Point Mall early next year

Baltimore? Well, don't let me even start on that subject ... except for the Inner Harbor area, the place is a horror show, and I ought to know since I still own property there .... no offense to you NCOriolesfan - just my 2 cents

Old 11-03-2009, 12:31 PM

335 posts, read 800,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveNordstroms View Post

I'm looking for a suburban area that is new, clean, liberal, has decent roads, streets signs are a plus, and a nice amount of shopping (sorry, I do like big box stores too) concentrated in one general area. The mall at Southpointe is okay, but I would probably just shop there once in a while, it's the normal everyday stuff (like Target, Super Wal-Mart, grocery stores, I guess *strip malls* if you will, and restaurants of every kind!)
There are two shopping centers right by Southpoint - one (with the Target) is big and the other is huge. Each one has a nice selection of restaurants (PF Chang's, Chili's, pizza, Japanese, burgers etc). Several grocery stores are also within a 3-5 minute of the mall area. The area is growing but it doesn't seem "sprawly" to me because it's pretty well planned.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:08 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,002 times
We moved here from London with small kids. It has been a great move... more space to live in, better schooling (we have them in private which is much more affordable), better climate etc. Quality of life overall is very good. However there is one thing I really have come to hate and that's the food. The restaurants are terrible. The few decents restaurants fail as most people prefer to stick to crap chains they know and love. Haute Cuisine in Raleigh is Olive Garden, as exemplified by the long lines outside on Sunday after church. Oh I'm not too keen on the big religious stuff either but it doesn't really bother me. But the lack of decent places to eat out does. I eventually think we will move out to somewhere more urban. Austin TX or San Diego are places I think strike a nicer balance

Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM

49 posts, read 88,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
There are two shopping centers right by Southpoint - one (with the Target) is big and the other is huge. Each one has a nice selection of restaurants (PF Chang's, Chili's, pizza, Japanese, burgers etc). Several grocery stores are also within a 3-5 minute of the mall area. The area is growing but it doesn't seem "sprawly" to me because it's pretty well planned.
SOunds great, but isn't that near Durham? At this time we are looking to stay around Raliegh or Cary. I mean, we are originally from NY! LOL

Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Raleigh is right next door to Durham.

You'd probably like Cary or North Raleigh just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveNordstroms View Post
SOunds great, but isn't that near Durham? At this time we are looking to stay around Raliegh or Cary. I mean, we are originally from NY! LOL

Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
We moved here from London with small kids. It has been a great move... more space to live in, better schooling (we have them in private which is much more affordable), better climate etc. Quality of life overall is very good. However there is one thing I really have come to hate and that's the food. The restaurants are terrible. The few decents restaurants fail as most people prefer to stick to crap chains they know and love. Haute Cuisine in Raleigh is Olive Garden, as exemplified by the long lines outside on Sunday after church. Oh I'm not too keen on the big religious stuff either but it doesn't really bother me. But the lack of decent places to eat out does. I eventually think we will move out to somewhere more urban. Austin TX or San Diego are places I think strike a nicer balance
You need to venture into Durham:
Nana's
Four Square
Magnolia Grill
Foster's
Mad Hatter's Cafe/Bakery
Elmo's Diner
George's Garage
Cafe Parizade

Yummy

Old 11-03-2009, 07:09 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
You need to venture into Durham:
Nana's
Four Square
Magnolia Grill
Foster's
Mad Hatter's Cafe/Bakery
Elmo's Diner
George's Garage
Cafe Parizade

Yummy
George's Garage closed. I read that George Bakatsias is opening a new restaurant in the space in Cary where Ocean Grill was -- it will be interesting to see how it does.

I agree, though, that there are good restaurants to be had around town if one knows where to look. Check boards like eGullet or Chowhound. My guess is that you are in far North Raleigh or somewhere like that, because chains dominate up there. Look in Glenwood South, downtown Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill, or even a few places in the center of Cary or the North Hills/"Midtown" area.

Back on topic, I love it here, I grew up here, moved away and moved back six years ago, but we will be moving away soon because my husband cannot find a job in his field here. There are strong industries here, but there is not a wide range of industries here.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:52 PM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
There are strong industries here, but there is not a wide range of industries here.
Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary