Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:41 PM

122 posts, read 440,016 times

Advertisements

I just moved here this week, and wanted to take the kids somewhere to play, but when I did a search on playgrounds, some of the ones that were mentioned are private (just short of requiring a cornea scan to enter). I am currently staying in an apartment in Cary that has a playground...but it's so small, they are bored after 5 minutes. I am also open to any other suggestions that may entertain a 4 and 6 yr. old. Oh, and I'll be moving to Clayton in August, so if you have any suggestions for that area, it would be appreciated, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,998,044 times
There are many public city owned parks that are wonderful!

Here is a link to the towns parks, you should look them all over

Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Home Page (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/prhome.htm#Parks - broken link)

bond park is one of the largest and most popular, I often took my kids to the kids together park (which may technically be in apex, but still close to parts of cary), and it is a great park.

The city of raleigh also has wonderful parks, as to many many of the other surrounding towns.

Leigh

Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 PM

336 posts, read 1,492,287 times
i second "kids together park"! it's wonderful. lots to do.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM

5,728 posts, read 17,532,253 times
I have only one problem with Kids Together. If you have a little one (<4) that is quick, you sometimes lose them for a moment in all the landscaping. And sometimes they go into that central jungle gym and you don't know where they'll pop out

Old 07-26-2009, 02:27 PM

152 posts, read 540,026 times
Don't have kids that age anymore but I do KNOW that there are many options for you.

I triple Kids Together Park--corner of Tryon & Cary Parkway, behind the Lowes grocery store. This is sort of enclosed by a gate once you get past the entrance. Very nice landscaping, benches, walkways, and something for everyone.

Crowder Park--off of Ten-Ten just past Holly Springs Road intersection. This has an awesome play area 'up top", and a smaller one "down by the lake", which is a very cool lake to walk around...not too big for the ages of your kids. One could easily ride a bike or trike around it. It is paved and I'd bet you see turtles sunning on branches and maybe a beaver dam.

There is an awesome wooden fort park, large enough to keep boredom at bay, but good in size to keep an eye on them. It too is fenced giving a feeling of containing those that stray. Can't remember the name but it is off of Olive Chapel Road behind the elementary school there.

Most of Cary Parks have some rather cool play structures, these are smaller but if you want variety there is no lack of choices...Ritter Park (off of Lochmere Drive...access to hiking in Hemlock Bluffs, Middle Creek Park, this is small but access to paved paths around soccer field. Some may not be that big, but you've offered them variety and something new to see. These are plenty big for an hour or more.

There is a new park off of Walnut Street between Cary Town Center and Borders shopping center. The structures are very cool. We drove by them and my older kids wanted to stop to check it out.

Good Luck and I KNOW there are tons more.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 PM

152 posts, read 540,026 times
Oh, forgot to mention this. There are several mother meet up groups in the area. Check out the Cary newspaper. Some of the friends I met when I moved here have made several good connections this way.

Once you move to Clayton, I can bet you there is something like that in Clayton too.

Try a local church Mothers of Preschoolers too.

There is/was an imagination play center in DT Raleigh off of Glenwood. Kids simulated play as firemen, cooks, weather persons, ballerina, etc by playing in structures to fit the theme. Although this is not free it's variety and could be a special treat.

Try a local story telling at the library. Great way to meet others too. You can circulate the many branches and stay cool in the process.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:47 PM

546 posts, read 1,673,529 times
Aside from the ones already mentioned there is Sea brook Ave (or MacDonald Woods Park) in Cary which is connected to Kids together playground by a greenway.

Morrisville community park

Apex Community Park

Kids Towne Playground off Kelly Rd in Apex which is the wooden Fort type playground earlier mentioned.

Here is a list of other parks in Cary and Apex.
Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Home Page (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/prhome.htm#Parks - broken link)

Parks and Recreation : Facilities (http://www.apexnc.org/depts/parks/facilities/index.cfm - broken link)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-26-2009 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Just fixed the coding

Old 07-26-2009, 05:45 PM

426 posts, read 1,486,482 times
My kids are similar in age.

Their favorite playgrounds are:

Bond Park
Morrisville Community Park (Not for hot days, no shade)
North Cary Park
Kelly Rd/Kids Towne Apex
Kids Together Park

We like to visit:

Museum of Life and Science Durham (most of the cool stuff are outside)
Marbles Kids Museum Raleigh
NC Zoo in Asheboro (1.5 hrs drive but definately worth the trip)

They like to play at:

Monkey Joe's Cary
Hopper's House Apex
Planet Child Cary

Old 07-26-2009, 07:39 PM

122 posts, read 440,016 times
Oh, thank you!!! I love this forum!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:12 AM

5,728 posts, read 17,532,253 times
Some of the lakes have small playgrounds. We go to Lake Wheeler often and just last week went to Lake Benson in Garner. If you need a break from the playground, a stroll along the lake to watch boats and waterfowl is nice. Bass Lake in Holly Springs is also nice to walk around, but doesn't have a playground. They do, however, have a sort of "junior naturalist" type program where the kids get a story, a craft project, and a nature walk/talk. Lake Johnson is also nice, but again not sure if they have a playground. All of these lakes rent out small boats, so you could also go out on the lake for a bit. You can also go to Yates Mill Park and see the mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary