Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:57 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,504,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crifever View Post
Transfer to NC State. You will get better opportunities in the long run, better programs, better career guidance, better starting salary, etc.

I do recruiting for college hires for my organization in my company and with the economic downturn a lot of companies (including ours) have reduced the number of schools from which they do active recruiting. NC State is among the top schools to recruit engineering & science graduates. ECU is NOT. You make the decision!

Yeah that's good and all, but only if he wants to be an engineer or some type of farmer/agriculture major. 1st paragraph is purely speculative as well.

Then again if he wants to get in the medical field or a number of others then NCSU is NOT the place to be.

Also...for the OP. Are you a guy? You like girls? If so you should stay at ECU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,504,677 times
But if you're looking to be a farmer or engineer, like living on a bland campus that's sprawled out and doesnt have much of a college town feel, and want to be surrounded by dudes then NCSU in the place to be.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 AM

932 posts, read 3,091,652 times
It really depends on your major. ECU is know to have a great biology department and Nursing Program. It's a great school. My best friend is an ECU Grad and makes 6 figures...

Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 AM

3,380 posts, read 7,740,164 times
"surrounded by dudes"

While State has more guys that girls, the imbalance isn't that great. A big portion of those guys have no shot with any of the girls. Add in Meredith and Peace and there are plenty of hot women around. And a lot of Chapel Hill women come to Raleigh in search of straight guys.

You can only realistically date 5 or 6 women at a time in college anyway.

Last edited by Dire Wolf; 07-28-2009 at 11:15 AM..

Old 07-28-2009, 11:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,054,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
But if you're looking to be a farmer or engineer, like living on a bland campus that's sprawled out and doesnt have much of a college town feel, and want to be surrounded by dudes then NCSU in the place to be.
Wow....what a surprise.....another person from Charlotte trashing Raleigh. I am so shocked.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM

11 posts, read 65,582 times
hahah. I'm a girl, so more guys would never be a bad thing, although I'm not going to base my college off of it. From what I've read and heard, ECU has wayyy more girls then guys though and it's deffinitely obvious walking around campus.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,086 times
GO to the school with the right academic program.

And major in Chemistry. All doors are open with a good chemistry degree. Both schools have good departments for undergrad, where they'll differ is breadth/scope of graduate offerings.

If you plan on leaving the state, make the best grades you can --> which may make the 'social scene' a very moot point. Do you want to be one of those people who got a lot of play in undergrad, but found their minimal earning job made their post collegiate (not necessarily post-graduate) life a lot less lively.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,754,557 times
To beat the dead horse, it really depends on your major. But I do think NCSU has a better academic reputation, all else equal, than ECU, which still has a "party school" reputation. And, I always hear of a lot of people transferring from ECU to NC State and UNC but rarely in the other direction.

If you're interested in anything at all technical, definitely come to State. If not, still think about it. But, it's also true that there is so much more to college than the classroom, and if you're happy and have a good support group of friends, it would make sense to stay where they are (even though you will of course meet plenty of new friends at State).

Unfortunately, we can't decide this for you. Do you know anyone who goes to State who would let you come stay with them for a weekend and see what it's like? Maybe even go to a couple of classes with them?

Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,315,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
It really depends on your major. ECU is know to have a great biology department and Nursing Program. It's a great school. My best friend is an ECU Grad and makes 6 figures...
and Medical School and Allied Health and Education......

Old 07-29-2009, 11:29 AM

240 posts, read 1,287,637 times
I was always told "It's not where you go but what you do while you are there". Choose the best school for your major. I think ECU gets a bad rap.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary