Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

It will always just be "The Beltline" to me. No signs necessary. I know where I am going. I was never confused by it, even when it was but a partial "loop" like 540 is now.
Also, 540 will always just be "The Outer Loop" to me regardless of any official designation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 04:24 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
It looks like they will be replacing the signs on the 440 Beltline soon to read "East" and "West". I wonder if that will reduce the confusion? It didn;t take me very long to figure the beltline out when I moved here, but some people do seem to struggle with it.

DOT to replace signs on Raleigh's Beltline :: WRAL.com
i dont even care about what beltline it even is. i just want to know the direction the road heads, as in 440W, so it matches up to my GPS and Google Maps.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:59 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"The 540"
You ain't from around here?

Francois is going to be all over this....

I'm sure he will.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:45 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i dont even care about what beltline it even is. i just want to know the direction the road heads, as in 440W, so it matches up to my GPS and Google Maps.
That's just not going to happen. Roads twist and turn all over the place, and to constantly switch cardinal direction labeling with every turn would be simply ridiculous. You have to view things on a larger scale than just your immediate surroundings.

This isn't to say that road designations are perfect, but the current plan for the Triangle interstates is by far the most sensible solution in my opinion. Yes, I-40 East may ever so slightly turn SSW as it passes by central Cary, and yes, I-440 East may briefly turn west at its eastern end to link back up with I-40 once the naming changes are done, but take a step back (or zoom that GPS or Google map out a bit) and you should have no trouble heading in the correct direction.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
I better pay for that navigation DVD update... I will be LOST!

Old 08-01-2009, 02:39 PM

33 posts, read 167,792 times
I've never paid it any mind at all. I just know I-40 is that thing that will take you to and from the beach and into the RTP. 440 is the loop and puts you on whatever side of town you want to be in. So I've always considered the inner beltline to mean Six Forks, Wake Forest Rd, Capital, Crabtree Lake Boone Tr exits as inside the city. I always think of all the Cary exits, Lake Wheeler, Rock Quarry, Garner, South Saunder exits as the outer beltine/40 taking you away from the city.

Thats how I put it all into perspective.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:22 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
From I-40 E to Poole Road, you will travel east to go west...

Take THAT, GPS!
And who needs a GPS when you have ladies of the night. People, if the "Yonkers Road Ballet" is on your left you're Outter. If it's on your right you're Inner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary