U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:12 PM

229 posts, read 631,446 times
Default Best trees for privacy screen in backyard?

We are looking to plant a series of evergreen trees in our backyard to get some privacy. Trees that come to mind are Emerald Green Arborvitae, Leland Cypress, Thuja Green Giant.

[1] Can anyone recommend the pros/cons for each of these? Which ones would do well in the RTP area? Growth rate? Max Height? Watering requirements? Aesthetics?

[2] We need about 20 to 30 of these trees planted in the perimeter of our backyard. Are there any local nurseries that anyone would recommend where I can buy these for a reasonable price? Am willing to travel ~50 miles radius around Raleigh if I can find a reasonable deal.

Thank you all for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Status: "Welcome to N.C. Set clock back 50 years." (set 24 days ago)

24,375 posts, read 15,455,896 times
also stay away from leland cypress,. they have shallow roots and uproot quickly in storms, eleagnus is another one to avoid. needs alot of pruning to keep it looking nice. Why don't you consider planing several different types of evergreen and decidious? As a designer I hate the marching soldier look. mixing gives a more natural look. and remember anything that grows fast is also pretty short lived and/or has weak root system.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:25 PM

229 posts, read 631,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
also stay away from leland cypress,. they have shallow roots and uproot quickly in storms, eleagnus is another one to avoid. needs alot of pruning to keep it looking nice. Why don't you consider planing several different types of evergreen and decidious? As a designer I hate the marching soldier look. mixing gives a more natural look. and remember anything that grows fast is also pretty short lived and/or has weak root system.
I'd like to stay away from deciduous trees because I do NOT like to rake leaves in the Fall. Thats a big NO NO for us.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:28 PM

3,416 posts, read 6,036,416 times
I'd try to go for a mix - it always looks a little strange to have this perfect line of trees (usually Leyland Cypress). I like more of a natural look personally.

You might look at some hollies - some get quite large, and the glossy leaves are attractive.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:35 PM

6,167 posts, read 9,657,720 times
Also take a look at bamboo.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 PM

239 posts, read 312,254 times
I am not an expert, but was curious to see the trees...and I landed here...

Living Fences Evergreen Privacy Screens Living Fence Options

Old 07-30-2009, 02:29 PM

19,168 posts, read 29,291,111 times
Agreed on avoiding Leyland Cypress.

How high do you want the screen to be when mature?

Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Status: "Welcome to N.C. Set clock back 50 years." (set 24 days ago)

24,375 posts, read 15,455,896 times
OMG Who said bamboo? Your worst enemy? See past threads about bamboo. There is no such thing as a good bamboo. My skin crawls to think somebody recommended that.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 PM

58 posts, read 135,560 times
I agree with everyone on varying your plants which you can still accomplish with a variety of evergreens. I personally have had great success with Green Giants. I planted about ten 4' tall green giants last spring now the are roughly 8-9' tall. Impressive and hardy plants. I bought all ten of them at Broadwells in Angier for $50 total.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:09 PM

90 posts, read 200,554 times
Leland Cypress are not great; 2 of ours have fallen.
Someone also said Holly, and we have a "wall" of holly bushes on one side of the yard that have grown to about 25ft. high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary