Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 09:09 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baaadgoatjoke View Post
This is essentially the same thing as squelching his free speech rights.
No, it's essentially a question of determining what the scope of those rights are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 05:36 AM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,764 times
Sadly, Mr. Bowden has passed away:
Cary man at center of sign battle dies :: WRAL.com

Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,572 times
How oddly convenient for the town of cary. I can only hope his family will take cary to the cleaners over all this. I've seen the before and after pictures and followed this story from start to now (hopefully not the end) and have to say that I respect him stepping up and saying he has been SCREWED BY THE TOWN OF CARY!

I am sorry he did not live to see his hard work pay off.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan63 View Post
How oddly convenient for the town of cary. I can only hope his family will take cary to the cleaners over all this. I've seen the before and after pictures and followed this story from start to now (hopefully not the end) and have to say that I respect him stepping up and saying he has been SCREWED BY THE TOWN OF CARY!

I am sorry he did not live to see his hard work pay off.
I assume you mean over the sign and not his battle with cancer.

I believe that Cary is currently attempting to have the ruling in his favor overturned.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I assume you mean over the sign and not his battle with cancer.

I believe that Cary is currently attempting to have the ruling in his favor overturned.
That would be a correct assumption. I do think that some "title loan/pawn" lawyer could try to argue the "drainage caused mold which caused respiratory illness leading to lung cancer" or "the emotional stress caused his body to give up/stop responding to treatment".

Cary's attempt to overturn the ruling just shows complete arrogance in the town leadership and think that arrogance will burn them in a future court room.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 AM

379 posts, read 959,366 times
Let me start by saying: RIP Mr. Bowden and so sorry you had to spend your time fighting this battle.

I don't think anybody is unsympathetic to his problem.

However, with that being said, I fully support the Town of Cary's pursuit to have this case ruled in their favor.

All the town ever asked was that the sign conform to the towns sign odrinance.....NEVER did the town say he could not have a sign or try to squelch his freedom of speech.

Simply, make your sign to the specs of what is allowed under the ordinance. Otherwise, if everyone was to disregard the ordinance this town would look like:
Attached Thumbnails
House spray painted "screwed by town of cary"-signsoutofcontrol.jpg  

Old 06-03-2011, 02:40 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmela C View Post
Let me start by saying: RIP Mr. Bowden and so sorry you had to spend your time fighting this battle.

I don't think anybody is unsympathetic to his problem.

However, with that being said, I fully support the Town of Cary's pursuit to have this case ruled in their favor.

All the town ever asked was that the sign conform to the towns sign odrinance.....NEVER did the town say he could not have a sign or try to squelch his freedom of speech.

Simply, make your sign to the specs of what is allowed under the ordinance. Otherwise, if everyone was to disregard the ordinance this town would look like:

RIP Mr. Bowen too
I think that commercial signs can and should be regulated, or you get that horizon-of-signs like that picture you attached.

Please correct me if I"m wrong, (I've only read bits and pieces of this ongoing saga), but wasn't the reason the ACLU provided support that resulted in him winning the current step in the legal proceedings, is that they agreed with Mr. Bowen in believing that his sign was a political statement. Therefore unlike commercial messages, falls under the 1st Amendment, and should not be regulated.

I'm a bit biased against him tho, as I did read that he turned down an offer to have the situation resolved by a 3rd party mediator. That's what I think would have been the best path to a fair solution. Forget about the sign and resolve the problem that caused the sign.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
RIP Mr. Bowen too
I think that commercial signs can and should be regulated, or you get that horizon-of-signs like that picture you attached.

Please correct me if I"m wrong, (I've only read bits and pieces of this ongoing saga), but wasn't the reason the ACLU provided support that resulted in him winning the current step in the legal proceedings, is that they agreed with Mr. Bowen in believing that his sign was a political statement. Therefore unlike commercial messages, falls under the 1st Amendment, and should not be regulated.

I'm a bit biased against him tho, as I did read that he turned down an offer to have the situation resolved by a 3rd party mediator. That's what I think would have been the best path to a fair solution. Forget about the sign and resolve the problem that caused the sign.
Below is a link to the town's Sign Ordinance, specifically the Political Sign section;
Sign Ordinance section 9.3.2 O

Here's an excerpt:

(5)Such a sign shall not exceed 5 square-feet in area per sign face or 42 inches in height, except where such sign is erected in place of another type of sign permitted at that location, in which case it may be the same size and subject to the same conditions as such sign. http://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Pla...ticalsigns.pdf

Old 06-03-2011, 04:31 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmela C View Post
Below is a link to the town's Sign Ordinance, specifically the Political Sign section;
Sign Ordinance section 9.3.2 O

Here's an excerpt:

(5)Such a sign shall not exceed 5 square-feet in area per sign face or 42 inches in height, except where such sign is erected in place of another type of sign permitted at that location, in which case it may be the same size and subject to the same conditions as such sign. http://www.townofcary.org/Assets/Pla...ticalsigns.pdf
Read the prior section (1):
(1) One such sign shall be permitted per individual lot or parcel for each candidate for office or side of a ballot measure or issue; for a lot or parcel with frontage on a second street, one additional sign for each candidate for office or side of a ballot measure or issue shall be permitted.
This Ordinance isn't applicable. There are no candidates or ballot measures or issues being promoted. Is there an Ordinance that regulates signs for other political purposes?

I can see regulating political signs that are related to voting, as long as they are evenly applied. I have a friend on the planning department of a very upper-class neighborhood who disallows ALL campaign signs. It's funny, as just outside their jurisdiction during an election, there are 20-40 signs in a vast forest. But since they are evenly applied, it's considered fair and legal.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Ed_RDNC: BINGO!!! Exactly my point.

There are rules for signs, whether political, business etc......all he had to do was follow them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary