Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 09:05 AM

12 posts, read 42,797 times

Advertisements

Ok, so background to this story is here

So court went ok, I suppose. The judge gave her until August 14th to get her license or she is looking at up to 120 days in jail. And of course there are all sorts of complications. Still working on getting a replacement social security card. Also have one more ticket to pay and then whatever fees there are at the DMV (anyone know if they accept personal checks, btw?).
Now I'm wondering if that will even make a difference though. I was just reading on the DMV website that if you don't surrender your expired license from a different state you have to start off as a 'new driver' which would mean a learner's permit first! Her expired MT license was misplaced last month....
In addition, she is working very hard to enlist in the Marine Corps in order to support herself and this all has to be taken care of before shipping out. The recruiter said that if all the paperwork goes through then they can get her a temporary social security card. If they accept her, I'm wondering if that can help her out with the judge at all?
Any help is much appreciated! I'm getting so lost in all the complications...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,183,818 times
Sorry but this all sounds rather fishy. How can she join the USMC when she was discharged due to injury from the Army?

And can't say for sure but have never heard of a "temporary security card." I would check on that as recruiters aren't exactly always known to have (or give) all the facts.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:37 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,118,098 times
Call the DMV in the state of MT and get a letter stating that she was licensed there with the dates. Without going into details, I've had to do this in a situation when my license was stolen.

The DMV takes cash only.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,848,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
The DMV takes cash only.
Is that a change? It's been a while since I've been to a DMV office here, but every time I went they took checks.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 AM

5 posts, read 15,999 times
Default agreed, story seems fishy, but I can relate.......

Original Poster,

I'm afraid I agree with some of the others here, as your story does seem to be a bit "fishy". By fish, I'm implying that perhaps you are leaving bits of the story out. Bits that may be embarrassing, or shed bad lighting on your or your girlfriend’s situation. Regardless, I am a NC resident, got out of the Army in 2008 (after serving ten years as an MP), and now currently work in the law enforcement field (I commute to DC, as you are right, the job market is crazy right now). So, here's the advice I can give you:

(keep in mind I didn't memorize all the entries, so I apologize if I am "double tapping" actions taken or methods already suggested)

Your girlfriend needs to the Social Security office in your area, and have her get a new SS card. For this you only need a birth certificate, and I believe two forms of photo ID. The SS office give her a temp SS card (it's like a letter), and the real deal arrives in the mail in 7-10 days.

What's that don't have two forms of ID or a birth certificate? Have her call the hospital she was born in, and request a certified copy of her birth record. Most hospitals charge a small fee, but if she plays the wounded vet card, it might be waived. Need another photo ID? Well if she hasn't gone to the closest VA Hospital to sign up anyway.....boom..... instant recognizable photo ID. Not to mention if she was discharged because of her injuries..... she would be a medically retired soldier (i.e.- she would have an ID). If she was simply injured, but suitable for duty, but decided to get out on her own..... then that would explain the lack of ID card.

I understand she has a Montana license (that was expired). As long as her license expired while she was active duty, than she should have (and in theory) still be able to fill this out: http://www.doj.mt.gov/driving/forms/34-1303.pdf
The Montana DMV site, states this:
"•Military personnel who have a valid Montana license when they enter the armed forces may use their Montana license until 30 days after an honorable discharge.
•To obtain a military exemption or to renew your Montana license, contact the Motor Vehicle Division Customer Service Center at (866) 450-8034 or, if you are out of state, e-mail the Motor Vehicle Division at mvd@mt.gov."

So overall it sounds like your girlfriend got out of the Army on her own (i.e.- time was up, or was discharged based on an injury, but it was of her own decision). She still had her Montana license (which expired August 2008), and she got some tickets in NC. Montana recognizes the license 30 days past the honorable discharge date. So if it was taken within that window, you have yourself a "loop-hole", but if not..... she brought it on herself. Although she may have been unaware of Montana's or North Carolina's licensing policies, which I could see realistically happening.

Because of the tickets received (even though she had an out of state license) it sounds as though her driving privileges are suspended:

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Suspensions & Revocations

I know in other states I've lived, the point systems can transfer. Although she wouldn't lose her MT license for speeding in NC, she would lose her driving privileges in NC period. You may have to check on that, so all the effort isn't in turn wasted on something she ultimately is unable to obtain...??

If she's having a hard time with the job market, I might be able to help. Depending if she's in Raleigh or Fayetteville I may know of something. Also, if her resume needs some fluff and sprucing, I've been known as "clever military to civilian translation / word play" guy, and wouldn't mind touching up her existing resume.

Hopefully I don't come off as arrogant or finger pointing, just laying the facts, and calling it like I see it. Hopefully her situation isn't as bad as what you initially implied. Hopefully I am wrong in some of my assumptions, but either way I would be more than happy to help. My email is mrorang3@yahoo.com if you'd like the "assist". Good luck!

-Brian

Side Note: Citing a medical discharge from the U.S.Army, more than likely she would not be accepted into the Marine Corp. In addition, the the basic training and AIT courses are not considered on the same level. So even if she was given the exact same job (i.e.- supply, military police, medic, etc) she would need to go through basic training and AIT all over again. Something I imagine she would not be interested in doing. On the other hand, if her goal is to get back into the military (but not the Army), the Navy and Air Force have basic training programs on the same level of that of the Army's. She would only have to go through their version of Advanced Initial Training (AIT), and not basic training.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:46 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,118,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Is that a change? It's been a while since I've been to a DMV office here, but every time I went they took checks.
Don't know ... just know that my husband renewed in January and had to leave and go get cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary