Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 PM

Location: Splitting time between Charlotte and Raleigh (work)
61 posts, read 71,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
This is a nice area, with many amenities for families, but that being said it isn't real exciting.
Please explain what you would want to make it exciting. What is it lacking? Does it not have art, plays, bars, clubs, dining, shopping, parks, trails, gyms, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:53 PM

551 posts, read 1,874,776 times
[quote=Teleprompter in Chief;10091016]Please explain what you would want to make it exciting. What is it lacking? Does it not have art, plays, bars, clubs, dining, shopping, parks, trails, gyms, etc.?[/QUOTE

Hey, if you like it you like it. I didn't say whether I do or don't. That being said I have lived a lot of different places and some have more or less going on. If I were a young single just starting out Raleigh wouldn't be my first choice. If I were adverse to driving I would want a place with more public transportation, more places to go without driving. If I were part of a young couple raising a family I would appreciate the many activities for kids. All I am saying is different people like different things.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:01 PM

Location: Splitting time between Charlotte and Raleigh (work)
61 posts, read 71,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
Hey, if you like it you like it. I didn't say whether I do or don't. That being said I have lived a lot of different places and some have more or less going on. If I were a young single just starting out Raleigh wouldn't be my first choice. If I were adverse to driving I would want a place with more public transportation, more places to go without driving. If I were part of a young couple raising a family I would appreciate the many activities for kids. All I am saying is different people like different things.
I am not debating you or anyone on this. I am just asking what people would want to see here that is not. I haven't seen that communicated by many people. I hear them say it is boring or it's not as good as place X, but no examples are given. I am looking for specifics.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:06 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleprompter in Chief View Post
Please explain what you would want to make it exciting. What is it lacking? Does it not have art, plays, bars, clubs, dining, shopping, parks, trails, gyms, etc.?
Charltondude, I just returned from NYC and I can safely say that compared to large cities, the Triangle lacks many things, the most obvious thing to me is our lack of comprehensive public transportation. Although our public transportation is improving, it is still lacking as we still do not have light rail from Downtown Raleigh to RDU to Durham/Chapel Hill (that route needs to be put at the top of any public transit list). That being said, I love Raleigh and the surrounding Triangle, I have been here for 13 years and do not plan on leaving anytime soon, but I do see how some people could get bored here.

Mike

Old 08-03-2009, 05:17 PM

29 posts, read 67,082 times
Since the OP is asking for specifics... I'll list what I'd like in a city and y'all can tell me if you have it. Here's the thing, I'm a DINK (Duel Income No Kids) and past my 20's. I like to shoot pool and darts, but I don't drink and can't stand smoke (unless it's a bonfire), I like bonfires, I like to go dancing, but ballroom dancing, not night clubs. I would enjoy the museum or zoo as well as the ballet or opera and of course a fabulous restaurant to dine at afterwards. I must have a coffee shop and nail salon in order to feel civilized. I couldn't care less about sports, but would like a nice big park to throw frizbee or play bocce. I will need a gym for my Zumba and Yoga classes. And of course a church (LCMS). I think I've filled all my days there. If ya got all that, I couldn't possibly be bored.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:05 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
I think some oversimplifications are being made here. It isn't just about if something "exists" in any given place, but the quantity and quality of it.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I often wonder if it's the people who are the ones that are actually boring.
I never lack for things to do or places to go. And, while it might not be the same things or quantities of things that larger cities might offer, I think the Triangle does a very fine job of giving me options.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:14 PM

4 posts, read 8,948 times
Ahem.

No, I'm not boring, to start with. Let's cut that train of thought off at the station. I frequently dress up in costumes for no reason, dance with things that are on fire, and generally do my best to make my own fun.

Additionally, as to why people move here if they want something different--I'm here for graduate school. It was the best option for my program, so I'm stuck until both my partner and I are done.

It's not a lack of things to do that's the issue. Yes, if I wasn't discriminating about what kind of thing or in what category or interest group, I could, technically, find something to do all the time. I mean, I could arguably walk in a park for several hours, walk in another one, go to several generic bars, etc. Or I could go to an art walk. Which is..pleasant. Okay. I mean, I've been to several in the area already, and they're not exactly show-stoppers. Many of them aren't even really walks--you have to drive to get from venue to venue.

But what I look for in a city I find exciting is a unique, vibrant urban life. I came here from Asheville, which is considerably smaller than Raleigh, but still manages to have its own, unique culture(s). There aren't just standard bars and museums to go to--there are really interesting and different ones to go to, with a whole range of fascinating live shows! There are hookah bars and chocolate lounges! There's a whole well-established vaudeville and burlesque circuit, and of course interest and activity in local food/agriculture. And the mountains to hike, of course. These "hills" and parks just can't compare.

Or take NYC. Different neighborhoods with a fascinating blend of cultures, the beautiful, the bizarre, the chic, the shabby, everything all blending together, new surprises on every corner. You can be part of an amateur jello-wrestling night! You can go sing Korean karaoke! You can have Chinese ice cream! You can walk in Jackson Heights and smell curry coming from every corner!

So. You get the difference now, maybe?

Old 12-31-2011, 05:03 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immaculate_Conniption View Post
Ahem.

No, I'm not boring, to start with. Let's cut that train of thought off at the station. I frequently dress up in costumes for no reason, dance with things that are on fire, and generally do my best to make my own fun.

Additionally, as to why people move here if they want something different--I'm here for graduate school. It was the best option for my program, so I'm stuck until both my partner and I are done.

It's not a lack of things to do that's the issue. Yes, if I wasn't discriminating about what kind of thing or in what category or interest group, I could, technically, find something to do all the time. I mean, I could arguably walk in a park for several hours, walk in another one, go to several generic bars, etc. Or I could go to an art walk. Which is..pleasant. Okay. I mean, I've been to several in the area already, and they're not exactly show-stoppers. Many of them aren't even really walks--you have to drive to get from venue to venue.

But what I look for in a city I find exciting is a unique, vibrant urban life. I came here from Asheville, which is considerably smaller than Raleigh, but still manages to have its own, unique culture(s). There aren't just standard bars and museums to go to--there are really interesting and different ones to go to, with a whole range of fascinating live shows! There are hookah bars and chocolate lounges! There's a whole well-established vaudeville and burlesque circuit, and of course interest and activity in local food/agriculture. And the mountains to hike, of course. These "hills" and parks just can't compare.

Or take NYC. Different neighborhoods with a fascinating blend of cultures, the beautiful, the bizarre, the chic, the shabby, everything all blending together, new surprises on every corner. You can be part of an amateur jello-wrestling night! You can go sing Korean karaoke! You can have Chinese ice cream! You can walk in Jackson Heights and smell curry coming from every corner!

So. You get the difference now, maybe?
So, your first post on C-D is in response to a thread that's almost 2 and half years old and on the topic of "boring"? That's very interesting.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:21 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,250 times
Ditto for me from what Andy64 said! We moved for the weather, cost of living ( well at least for houses, property tax and for us car insurance was less ) and knew it would be different. But we also wanted different. I miss family back in NJ but that is about it. I don't miss NJ. I don't miss the miles of traffic, bad winters, rude people and over priced houses coupled with costly property taxes. I don't think people visit enough or really think about what areas they move to. A lot do...don't get me wrong but I know of others who didn't do their homework. We love it here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary