Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or does WRAL have the most unattractive anchors of all the local news channels? The production looks really old and tacky too. Maybe they're trying for the old, smalltown newsroom look? I personally watch ABC because the production looks the most similar to where I moved from. This just came to mind as I watched the afternoon show. I'm probably going to stir up a lot of flaming from triangle natives, but just MHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:37 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
My family and I have watched WTVD since we moved here in '87. I never could stand WRAL or the other local stations b/c of the older/tacky look and unattractive anchors/reporters. May sound superficial to some, but why not watch the other if you have the option. Just better quality and production overall.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM

300 posts, read 973,202 times
Channel 5 or 11. 17's news production is a joke. It looks like it's being produced by some high school A/V club.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I don't watch a lot of local news. I used to watch NBC17. I kinda appreciated the lack of big-budget glitz. But when I got a Hi-Def TV, I started watching WRAL/WRAZ, but I do agree - some of the folks on there are just flat out weird and maybe just a little too inbred. (And Greg Fischel - if you use the word "isobars" in your forecast one more time, I'm going to puke. I don't need to know the meteorology. Just tell me if it's going to rain or not tomorrow.) TWC's News14 isn't too bad for a very simple "newsreader" kind of local news for a quick look at the highlights.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:13 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,385 times
I watch WRAL in the mornings and WTVD in the afternoons.(I used to work in local TV news Down East and still like to critique so try to catch a little of both)

WRAL is known for their cutting edge technology...they are usually the first to try out new stuff (first in HD in the country) and I love their 'newsroom' set. Less is definitely more!
But I've never liked David Crabtree (anybody remember when he was at WITN - 7 out of Little Washington?) and think Pam is one of the worst anchors ever. I still miss the old crew like Gaddy/Bobbi/Bob.

I've never liked WTVD's set...too flashy/cheesy and fake looking. But I do like that Larry has been there for years (there's something about having the same anchor at the dinner table for years and years) and I think Steve brought a lot to their news organization when he joined the team. Angela is good...but I miss Miriam Thomas.

Never been able to watch the NBC news (whether it be NBC 17 or back when it was NBC 28)...they've just never seemed like they were in the same league. (and ratings usually reflect this)

Weird...most of my transplanted friends watch NBC17 and most locals/NCers watch either RAL or TVD...

Old 08-03-2009, 01:17 PM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
I have to say, while I don't like to watch WRAL, I only use wral.com for my local news online.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:23 PM

90 posts, read 177,335 times
My husband and I lugh every time we see the weather. One of the guys is so confused. One day he was like oops thats not working. I agree with teh original poster. though I am probably spoiled since I grew up on LI and watched NYC news mostly.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:27 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
I watch WRAL. I like the morning crew and I like Greg for weather. Debra has more personality than Pam. David is a bore. After WRAL my pick would be NBC but I don't like the odd time the news is on. ABC is my last choice.

I appreciate that it's not flasy. WHDH in Boston was so flashy!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
Weird...most of my transplanted friends watch NBC17 and most locals/NCers watch either RAL or TVD...
Sometimes local news gets a little too "local" and it can be hard to relate to if you're not from there.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:38 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
I don't watch local news but from the brief snippets I've seen:

5: Has a down home, country feel to it. Least favorite to watch. No hot anchors.

11: Best looking news b/c it is in HD. They have about two good looking female anchors and one good looking field reporter (Barbara Gibbs, the red head and the hispanic woman).

17: The production values are very low and not in HD. The 7pm woman anchor is nice to look at but a little on the older side. Not many hot anchors save for the lady at 7pm and 1 weather woman.

50: Don't watch it. Last time I saw it it looked somewhat low budget.

Last edited by he's so hott; 08-03-2009 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary