Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:55 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJOE View Post
You people are pretty harsh.
Why, because we aren't playing a violin for you? Look I have nothing against you and agree the cop could've been less "anal" about the stupid registration/inspection thing (I'm still not clear on it frankly), and PS pick any state, you will find more than a few ahole cops with an attitude.....but I would think he called this in to check before giving you a ticket.

Re your son, what law would you suggest this falls under if not wreckless driving? Peeling out IS wreckless. It is very easy to lose control of a car that way. And clearly sometimes people (hey we've all been there) have to learn things the hard way. Hopefully this applies to your son, ie it is at least something that will stick with him (if it was my son you better believe I'd help that cause), which is a good thing.

Quote:
Lets pole everyone and see if you ever punched the gas too hard coming of a stop on an empty road. I am sure cops have never done this.
Ah the old "other people do it" defense. An extremely weak one FYI. PS I never have, even as a kid - but if I had and got a ticket, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Quote:
So the lesson is wreckless driving. Same as driving 75 in a 55 or weaving in and out of traffic. Punishable by up to $1000 fine and 60 days in jail. Hope you folks have kids.
I DO have kids and if one of mine ever drives like that I will have their butt in a sling so fast it'll make their head spin. A fine is the least of their worries. I would also not be too crazy about driving with said kids and someone peels out anywhere near me, and would want your kid's head on a platter if he did it on or near a street I live on. If he's a Speed Racer wannabe, go to the Charlotte track and play that game.

PS: pls tell us you don't seriously think your son might go to jail or have to pay $1000 fine. Relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
So are you guys saying that you've never done a burnout since you started driving?
Please....that dog doesn't hunt!
And again the "but others do it!!" defense. Almost as good as the Chewbacca defense!

Don't quit your day job to become a lawyer.
Quote:
Using your logic, I guess every driver in NASCAR should be banned from doing burnouts after a victory. I mean all those fans are sitting nearby and might get hurt if a tire blows apart... right?

Yeah that's the same thing.

Quote:
I've never seen a written law that says burnouts are illegal.
I've never seen a written law that says you can't poke someone's eyes out with a screwdriver. So I guess it's OK.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:03 PM

14 posts, read 36,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
So let's see: you didn't renew your inspection when you should have and are PO'd at getting a ticket because......you've lived here a long time.
Yes.

I have had the same cable company for 15 years. I don't expect my cable shut off the first time my cable bill is late. Ditto on phone and mortgage.

ok, Maybe they can send me a dunning notice and fine me $10 for being late on my inspection.

Pulling me over with flashing lights on 4th of July weekend. Well, I think living in a place for a long time and being a good citizen is worth a little slack.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
I've never seen a written law that says you can't poke someone's eyes out with a screwdriver. So I guess it's OK.
Yes.... a screwdriver would be considered the weapon of choice under the law in that case.

I suppose you've never driven a pickup truck with a light rear end that will sometimes spin the tires completely unintentionally while pulling out into moving traffic?

Should everyone that ever screeches their tires while slamming on the brakes trying to avoid an accident be charged with reckless driving and issued a ticket?

While I don't condone teens doing burnouts, being issued a reckless driving ticket for doing so is just as stupid.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:33 PM

14 posts, read 36,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Yes.... a screwdriver would be considered the weapon of choice under the law in that case.

I suppose you've never driven a pickup truck with a light rear end that will sometimes spin the tires completely unintentionally while pulling out into moving traffic?

Should everyone that ever screeches their tires while slamming on the brakes trying to avoid an accident be charged with reckless driving and issued a ticket?

While I don't condone teens doing burnouts, being issued a wreck-less driving ticket for doing so is just as stupid.
I appreciate the responses.

Now you guys are thinking, since a screwdriver can be a weapon, a screwdriver in the glove box is a concealed weapon. Bookem.

Since pealing out can be dangerous. Puching the gas out on an empty street is wreckless driving.

My original point is not whether the cops were breaking the law, but whether Cary cops can cut a little slack and give warnings.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Well put Raleigh police on the list too. I have never had a ticket in 13 years of driving a recieved my first ticket a few months ago for an expired registration. I completely forgot and was expecting a warning. Nope, got my first ticket!
Don't they give you a certain amount of days to get it straightened out?

Old 08-05-2009, 08:53 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
My original point is not whether the cops were breaking the law, but whether Cary cops can cut a little slack and give warnings.
Unfortunately, whether they cut you some slack or not is usually at the desecration of the officer and some of them will throw the book at you regardless.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
My son dropped two friend of at a swim club. He peeled out of the parking lot on an empty road. Two Cary cops pulled him over and gave him a citation for reckless driving. It is a long description thats says willful endangerment.

Were you with your 17 year old son at the time?

I wonder if 17 year old sons ever gloss over minor "details" when explaining to their parents how they got a ticket or got into a fender bender.

FWIW, I just spent the last 3 months driving around Raleigh with an expired inspection sticker. I guess the Raleigh PD just like me.

(My inspection is now up to date!)

Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Why, because we aren't playing a violin for you? Look I have nothing against you and agree the cop could've been less "anal" about the stupid registration/inspection thing (I'm still not clear on it frankly), and PS pick any state, you will find more than a few ahole cops with an attitude.....but I would think he called this in to check before giving you a ticket.

Re your son, what law would you suggest this falls under if not wreckless driving? Peeling out IS wreckless. It is very easy to lose control of a car that way. And clearly sometimes people (hey we've all been there) have to learn things the hard way. Hopefully this applies to your son, ie it is at least something that will stick with him (if it was my son you better believe I'd help that cause), which is a good thing.

Ah the old "other people do it" defense. An extremely weak one FYI. PS I never have, even as a kid - but if I had and got a ticket, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I DO have kids and if one of mine ever drives like that I will have their butt in a sling so fast it'll make their head spin. A fine is the least of their worries. I would also not be too crazy about driving with said kids and someone peels out anywhere near me, and would want your kid's head on a platter if he did it on or near a street I live on. If he's a Speed Racer wannabe, go to the Charlotte track and play that game.

PS: pls tell us you don't seriously think your son might go to jail or have to pay $1000 fine. Relax.
Great post, when 17, you need to learn, sometimes it is the hard way! Let the kid, pay the fine, and learn! When you are 17, you have a long road ahead!

Last edited by maggiekate; 08-05-2009 at 09:10 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Don't they give you a certain amount of days to get it straightened out?
I went home immediately and paid it online that evening. I still had to go to court. I went to court with my papers and everything. I got there and they asked my name and told me it was dropped. Didn't even look at my proof. It was more of a waste of time than anything. I'm not familiar with Raleigh's downtown so driving in traffic and just trying to find parking, the building, and the room was punishment enough. Yes I was in the wrong for forgetting to renew my registration, but I wasn't harming anyone or unsafe in any kind of way. He was a nice state trooper and I really didn't expect to get a ticket over something like that. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary