Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 AM

426 posts, read 1,490,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleprompter in Chief View Post

I am curious about the inspection sticker. Mine was due last month according to the sticker, but my reg shows November. I asked the inspection station and they said go by the reg and take the sticker off the windshield. I hope the guy was correct.

According to the calculator he was.

If you renewed your registration 11/08 and your inspection was due 07/09, you can ignore the sticker. Your inspection would be bue 11/09 when you renew your registration. Basicly they have it set up this way that we dont have to pay for 2 inspections in the calendar year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
Reckless driving is a pretty serious ticket for pealing out. It's a misdemeanor in this state isn't it?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,899 times
None of us can really comment on the peeling out since we were not there. We don't know all the details. Either way I am guessing he wasn't speeding since he didn't get a ticket for that also. If he was just peeling out I do not see how that is all the dangerous. All it does is make a loud noise, a reckless driving ticket is REALLY harsh especially given it was an empty road. I am sure some of the people responding speed more than 5 mph over the speed limit and weave in and out of traffic which is a lot worse than squealing your tires.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:27 PM

14 posts, read 36,163 times
I spoke with one lawyer today. Wreckless driving is pretty serious. 4 points. Speeding > 10 is 3, speeding below 10 is 2.
So this is like two speeding tickets.

The lawyer said he needs to take traffic school before court.

50/50 on if it can reduced some sort of illegal movement fewer points, but still points.

They said no plea for judgement on wreckless driving.

Bottom line, this is very serious. I feel like the cop "through the book at my son".

I am amazed at how many people have responded. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I can understand the people who think my kid was headed down some sort of bad path that would lead to crime or an accident. I think it is very severe to punish him for what might have happened rather than what happened.

In this age of internet and computers, whatever happens will be bery available and around for a long time.

I would warn any one visiting Cary don't expect any tolerance to anything from Cary cops. Be polite if you get pulled over, but don't try to explain anything or get any slack.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
^^ I don't think peeling out should be tolerated on public roads anywhere. Do you really think that it was your sons' first time doing that?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJOE View Post
I would warn any one visiting Cary don't expect any tolerance to anything from Cary cops. Be polite if you get pulled over, but don't try to explain anything or get any slack.

Not expecting tolerance = safer drivers.
A good thing in my book.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:55 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Personally I think a "warning" instead of a ticket should be looked upon as a pleasant surprise, not something to be expected based on how long you lived in the area, how long you are ticket-free, or any other factor.

Dinosaur! Get with the 21st century! It's not about accountability any more, it's all about free rides and something for nothing and getting a break when one isn't merited! tsk tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
You can't blame them for following the law/rules.
Obviously he can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I agree and $1000 and 4 points is a cheap lesson if they walk away w/ their lives AND a lesson learned.
Someone else whos gets it! Thx to you and similar posters.

The "I lived here a long time so I should get more slack" still just blows my mind.

PS: all that said, offhand based on the given info, I would have no problem at all w/the cop giving the kid a "lighter" ticket, or even a stern talking to/bit of a scare and then just giving him a warning. But to be indignant because he didn't get one is ridiculous. But again, that's our society today.......

Old 08-07-2009, 07:51 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,899 times
I agree that the cop should have given him a ticket, but a much lesser offense. Reckless driving is a serious ticket for squealing your tires. I am sure everyone here in there lifetime has squealed their tires at one point or another. 4 points is way to many for this light of an offense. I am sure there is some violation he could of given instead that would of been 2 points or so.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 AM

42 posts, read 273,883 times
When I was 19 (I am 29 as of today), I got a ticket for careless and reckless when I went off the side of the road, slowed down and tried to bring the car back on the road, lost control, swerved and hit a tree head on at 35mph. There was no other cars involved, no witnesses other than myself, I was not injured (Toyota Corollas are well-made, btw) and the State Trooper himself (who showed up two HOURS after the call) admitted my skid marks showed I was not speeding. I got a lawyer and the charge was dismissed.

In this case, I do agree that your son should've been ticketed and, playing devil's advocate, I can see how the cop could charge careless and wreckless (what if he, a young, inexperienced driver, had lost control of the car while doing so?). I think, given the situation, unsafe movement would seem to be more appropriate (but then again I wasn't there and I don't know the specifics)...and yes, I have a newly licensed 17 year-old stepdaughter myself so I feel your insurance pain! My suggestion would be to get a lawyer (make your son pay for at least half, if not all, of the expenses) and get it bargained down because insurance points give you a percentage increase on your son's already high insurance and 4 points equals, I think, an 80% increase for three years. Yes, the officer did 'throw the book at your son' and it is an expensive book. However, it's better having him loose money now than loose his life (or cause others to loose theirs) later because he thinks, "well if I can get away with it now, why not do it again?"

As far as the inspection/registration ticket goes...yes it sucks (especially since it was technically current) but all you have to do is take a current, renewed one to your court date and they will throw it out. I have gotten that ticket before when it was 3 months expired and it was thrown out upon presentation of a current registration to the DA on my court date. Took 2 hours tops out of my day. The reason you were pulled I'd bet is because, according to the month/year sticker on you plate, it did appear to be expired (maybe the cop doesn't know about the 15-day grace period or something?).

Best of luck (and safety) to you and your son...

Last edited by icegirlncsu; 08-07-2009 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 AM

19 posts, read 29,356 times
Reckless driving for peeling out is a bit harsh. Especially considering it's a Honda Accord not a Corvette or something like that. I would say "Careless" driving would be appropriate. Unfortunately it's the cops call. I would guess it's 99% about the decrease in tax dollars being collected. It's been well documented that tickets have been on the rise nationwide. Perhaps we should reform our welfare system so we spend less rather than "taxing the Hell" out of people working for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary