U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 AM
VSB

167 posts, read 512,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolhero View Post
Given a pregnant wife, a house on the market, family in both states, and the job opportunity - what would you do in my shoes?
Admittedly a bit reminiscent of those "Risk," "Dream," "Lead," "Inspire" posters, BUT . . .

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain

I read your post twice, and it seems to me that you're primarily looking for "permission" to make this move. However, you have listed every reason to make it, and only a few minor hurdles against it. If your wife sees it like you do, then the discussion should be over. Your post exudes passion for your work, which is an extremely difficult thing to achieve. If you have found what makes you happy, then pursue it; you'll be a better father, husband, and son-in-law because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM

1,194 posts, read 2,316,250 times
I believe the move to Raleigh is a shoe in.

Raleigh is a very nice and busy Southern city. I believe the city gives a lot of tax breaks to larger businesses so they relocated to Raleigh in swarms.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:09 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,969,126 times
Think hard about the money. The cost of living, specifically housing, is a lot higher in Raleigh than it is in KC. An 8-10% raise may seem like a raise, but not if it gets eaten up by rent or mortgage. The COL index for HOUSING in KC is 43, but it's 111 for Raleigh! Also, pay heed to what others have said. Just because a state job has a range listed for salaries doesn't mean you're necessarily going to move up within that range. Employees have gotten terribly small cost-of-living raises in the past couple of years, and things aren't getting any better. Using Sperling's online calculator, a salary of $50K in KC would have to increase by 31% to $65766 to offset the cost of living difference.

Not trying to discourage, just wanted to make sure you understand all the facts before you decide.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 AM

7,579 posts, read 9,610,287 times
Quote:
Francois - Thanks for the input. I have not had much of an opportunity yet to hammer out the details with HR. What I know is that there is a hiring range, and a possible range for the position. In KS, it is one salary. Everyone in that level position makes the same. The only raises are cost of living every 2 or 3 years.
OK--yes, there are ranges and you could end up anywhere in the range (sometimes even outside the range, with special HR approval, but that's usually only if you're already with NC, moving to a similar position whose range is somehow not as broad). But, once you're hired at X rate, you won't get bumped above that, other than the (ha ha) COLAs they give on years the state's not in a budget crisis (OOPS!)

Quote:
So, just the same cost of living raises? Hmm. It seems the position description may be a bit misleading then. How often have they issued them in the past?
I just happen to have kept a spreadsheet that has them back to 2004. Dates are effective July 1, for the fiscal year following:

2004: 2.5%
2005: 2.0 %
2006: 5.5% (outlandishly high, we'll NEVER see that again and I was dumbfounded that we got it then.)
2007: 4.0% (also quite high)
2008: 2.75%
2009: ZERO (actually a .5% dock)

I know for sure that for a couple of years in the early 2000s, we got NO COLA raise, but we'd get "bonus leave", essentially an extra week of vacation. This year, not even that is on the table (the budget is still not passed for the 09-10 fiscal year--the one we're already a month into--so anything could happen)

Feel free to PM me about state employement in NC; I might even know something about the agency you're looking at.

Last edited by Francois; 08-10-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-10-2009, 11:15 AM

418 posts, read 736,718 times
The only pay raises are performance and legislative pay increase. Almost all excess funds for performance have been reverted and agencies no longer have those funds. And the legislature did not approve any pay increase. So if some hiring person promised you a pay raise, they are mistaken. I would NOT take that as a definite.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:35 AM

12 posts, read 11,302 times
Wow. I really appreciate all the perspectives. I think it is really helpful to have someone else air out the thoughts that seem to be colliding in my head.

For the Cost of Living, it is a bit deceiving because comparing the city limits of KC to Raleigh, is like comparing apples to oranges. So much of what is in KC's limits, has been left to decay. There are a few nicer communities, but most of the high dollar housing lies in other fringe cities connected to the metropolitan area. When we have shopped for housing in Raleigh, it is virtually the same when you compare nice area to nice area. The thing Raleigh has going for it is that much of what is in its limits still has a decent property value. Most of the $200K - $400K housing in KC is not in the KC limits. Pretty much everything in the limits is well below $200K, with most of the inner city areas (miles and miles of it) at about $100K (though you can actually find 4-5 bdrm homes for under $50K - crazy, huh?).

When you compare the other cost of living issues, it is virtually a wash. In KC, we would be looking for an older 3 bdrm home that I could fix up for $140K. In Raleigh, it looks like the same kind of property runs about $160K.

It has been really helpful to hear from other state workers. I am sure you feel the legislative crazyness that we do here. The only secure thing about the NC job is that it would be a federally funded position for a minimum of 3 years (already granted funds).

I seem to find myself caught between the risk and dream post and the protect my family and don't get caught with an unsold home posts. If we had a qualified offer on the house, I think the Raleigh job would seem like a much better option, and I would hesitate less. I think the potential exposure of two payments seems a bit scary.

Thanks for all the good advice and thoughts. I am sure you all have had moments where you needed some outsider input. I appreciate it.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:44 AM

418 posts, read 736,718 times
Federally funded employees are treated the same as state funded employees. Even if it is federal funds, those flow through the state and are treated as state funds. Even federal funded employees had their salaries cut this past year. I would find a grant funded position to be even less secure than a regular position because that would be the first on a list of programs/employees to "cut" to save money. Even if funds are "already granted", that is no guarantee that the governor or legislature won't take back that money. They have done that this past year several times and to many programs because of the budget crisis.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM

8,418 posts, read 13,465,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Most people in life regret the things they didn't do (or try). If you move here and, for whatever reason, decide you don't like it, it's 'fixable!' You are allowed to leave.
I have to agree with you!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:39 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,969,126 times
Quote:
For the Cost of Living, it is a bit deceiving because comparing the city limits of KC to Raleigh, is like comparing apples to oranges. So much of what is in KC's limits, has been left to decay. There are a few nicer communities, but most of the high dollar housing lies in other fringe cities connected to the metropolitan area. When we have shopped for housing in Raleigh, it is virtually the same when you compare nice area to nice area. The thing Raleigh has going for it is that much of what is in its limits still has a decent property value. Most of the $200K - $400K housing in KC is not in the KC limits. Pretty much everything in the limits is well below $200K, with most of the inner city areas (miles and miles of it) at about $100K (though you can actually find 4-5 bdrm homes for under $50K - crazy, huh?).

When you compare the other cost of living issues, it is virtually a wash. In KC, we would be looking for an older 3 bdrm home that I could fix up for $140K. In Raleigh, it looks like the same kind of property runs about $160K.
I don't know where you're looking, but that doesn't sound right. I work with quite a few folks who are based out of a KC office. They live in various KC burbs, like Olathe or Leawood or Overland Park. Our personal experience is that their houses cost about 2/3 of what similar houses in Cary, Holly Springs, or outside-the-beltline houses cost. Most of them are aghast at what it would cost them to move here, and several of them have turned it down for that reason (the company doesn't give any cost-of-living bumps when you relocate).

Old 08-10-2009, 04:20 PM

12 posts, read 11,302 times
I think it is really about comparing equal properties. The burbs of kc are ripe with stripped down bland, beige homes with shed siding. While considered nice in this area, it is several steps down from vinyl, hardi-siding, or brick which is much more common in NC. I lived in NC for about 10 years and by and large the quality of construction is superior to what I have found in KC. The strange part is the constructions in Olathe, Overland Park, etc is some of the worst examples. The lots are small, usually all the trees are cleared, and there are few amenities most of the time. Many of the communities feel like upgraded townhouse communities.

I know for what we were looking for we found well over 100 homes in the Raleigh area in our range. Keep in mind that KC metro spans about 60 miles from one side to the other, so in my mind 30 minutes from downtown is very reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I don't know where you're looking, but that doesn't sound right. I work with quite a few folks who are based out of a KC office. They live in various KC burbs, like Olathe or Leawood or Overland Park. Our personal experience is that their houses cost about 2/3 of what similar houses in Cary, Holly Springs, or outside-the-beltline houses cost. Most of them are aghast at what it would cost them to move here, and several of them have turned it down for that reason (the company doesn't give any cost-of-living bumps when you relocate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary