Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM

9 posts, read 37,015 times

Advertisements

Moving into historic house built in 1910 just near Moore's square. I love the area and downtown nightlife and activities. I've looked up crime in the area and most are car break-ins and drug possession. The house is not in the middle of SE Raleigh just on the fringes of it. Has anyone had any bad experiences in the area or is it just ignorance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:33 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,326 times
Just be safe. Also, get to know your neighbors. I have friends (a young married couple) who just moved into a neighborhood in that area and I'll just say they stick out amongst their neighbors. They have been very friendly and made an effort to get to know their neighbors, and you can see the neighbors respect them for it. A whole bunch of little kids told them recently that they've "got their backs" lol. I think you just have to follow common sense things (that I do ANYwhere) of locking your car and house doors, keeping valuables hidden, etc.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey315 View Post
Moving into historic house built in 1910 just near Moore's square. I love the area and downtown nightlife and activities. I've looked up crime in the area and most are car break-ins and drug possession. The house is not in the middle of SE Raleigh just on the fringes of it. Has anyone had any bad experiences in the area or is it just ignorance?
Ignore the troll. (You noticed they only have one post, right?) There is not much truth in his post at all.

You'll be fine. I'd love to live down there to be honest....some great older homes. If urban living doesn't freak you out like it seems to do to some people, use common sense and you'll be fine.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 PM

Thanks! I have made efforts to get to know the neighborhood before my move date. I recently joined the YWCA on Hargett st and am volunteering there. It's amazing how close knit the neighborhood is even when we were viewing the house with realtors the elderly neighbors came over just to see what was going on. We wave and speak to everyone. I'm more scared of the "I told you so" from a lot of family and friends who see the area as really bad if anything ever does happen....

Old 08-11-2009, 09:58 PM

171 posts, read 430,244 times
Try not to worry about what other people think, but do yourself a favor and get an alarm. Don't let your house be the easy target of a grab and run. Enjoy living near Moore Square, that's a great spot to be in!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,949 times
I lived by myself near the corner of Jones and Swain street from 2000 to 2003. The constant problems I experienced were thefts of plants and any outside decorations or any tools stored outside. I used metal plumbers circles to attach potted plants to the porch railings to keep them from getting stolen. Hanging plants were usually gone within 1-3 days after putting them up. There were some attempted break-ins during the day but my dogs or at-home neighbors scared them off. A lot of non-neighbors (adults and kids) would come by asking for money, rides somewhere, if they could use my bathroom, tell me sob stories, etc. I never let anyone in the house and directed them to the local police station or shelter for help. The worst problem I had was with men that thought I was a prostitute and tried to pick me up when I was gardening or standing in my yard. They would get really upset when I told them to leave. And with people that were on drugs and were wandering through the neighborhood and would start to yell nasty stuff at me (I would not say anything and just go in the house). And some kids had BB guns and tried to shoot out mine and my neighbors' windows. All in all, I liked being near downtown but ended up wanting more space that I couldn't find downtown.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Location: Splitting time between Charlotte and Raleigh (work)
61 posts, read 71,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsey315 View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is really bad.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2009 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: The rest was unnecessary.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:24 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleprompter in Chief View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is really bad.

Good luck to you.
This isn't even true about that area at all.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2009 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text/deleted reference to C-D

Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 PM

We have alarms on the house that are motion sensored through the hallways and even for the crawl space. I have been to the house at 9:30 at night and there are still children playing in the street at that time. My husband and I also worked for months in SE Raleigh for the Obama campaign on Morgan st so working in SE Raleigh was a daily activity. We were warned by locals, but found that they mostly watched out for us. It's such a diverse neighborhood of newly flipped houses next to shacks. We're talking about areas just outside of historic oakwood like Seawell Ave to Hargett st. The crime rate appears to be much lower for the area than the stereotypes. Does anyone have any actual experiences in there? I have already heard to secure porch furniture.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:45 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,949 times
My house was next to shacks. There were always lots of people who didn't live there hanging out all day and all night. Drug dealers and prostitutes were on the street. Anything that wasn't screwed down outside was stolen. Lots of noise from loud car stereos and drag racing and people yelling at each other in front of houses where they hung out all night. I think an alarm system was a joke. The other houses in my area had alarm systems and were broken into. The ones that weren't broken into were the houses with dogs. The guys who broke into a neighbor's house cut the phone line that led up into the house on its side so the alarm company wasn't notified. The alarm horn went off but because of the way it was facing, no other neighbors heard it. I'd make sure your outside alarm horns can be heard from all sides of your house. I had that same problem with my alarm being set off but my next door neighbor didn't hear it because of the way the horn was facing. And the people who lived on the other side didn't report it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary