U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-14-2009, 06:41 AM

44 posts, read 53,738 times
In realtor.com, when you look at a property listing the local schools are detailed at the bottom of the page. This detail comes from GreatSchools.net.

Here.

Schools in Durham Public Schools | GreatSchools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-14-2009, 07:08 AM

1,354 posts, read 3,589,344 times
Greatschools.net is a horribly inaccurate site - both on the good and bad side.

FYI Jordan and Riverside (and I think maybe Northern) HS in Durham are all ranked by US News in their top 500 HS's list.

I fully agree that not all Durham schools are great, but the same can be said for ANY county - there are plenty of schools in Wake County that I'd never dream of considering either.

Unread 08-14-2009, 07:12 AM

176 posts, read 385,656 times
I can't help you on the school issue, but I have friends that live in Dogwood Acres. One is a professor and takes the free bus to UNC. (Commute is about an hour, including walking to/from the bus stop). Her spouse drives to southern Durham. Commute time about 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic (but that's to southern Durham). He doesn't like the traffic through Chapel Hill on 15/501-- lots of stoplights and some congestion. The commute would be worse to northern Durham. While they do like Dogwood Acres and have an acre of wooded land, when they come to my house in northwest Durham (off Cole Mill Rd. by the Eno River), they are very jealous. I'm 10 minutes from the best restaurants and entertainment, have a beautiful home twice the size of theirs (same price), proximity to Duke Forest and the Eno River, and near Duke University and all that the campus has to offer. My friend complains that she is always in her car, whether it's to get groceries, go to work... She doesn't feel any "safer" in Chapel Hill than I do in my neck of the woods in northwest Durham.

In all honesty, I would do the research that you are doing online just to have a starting reference point. But please, please, do be sure to spend some time in each of the recommended areas talking to people in the neighborhoods you are interested in, visiting the schools in those areas, and finding out about the schools from parents who have kids in the schools. Maybe try to the commute back and forth for a few days before you make the jump...

Unread 08-14-2009, 07:16 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,951,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Monkey View Post
In realtor.com, when you look at a property listing the local schools are detailed at the bottom of the page. This detail comes from GreatSchools.net.

Here.

Schools in Durham Public Schools | GreatSchools

The areas I mentioned (Black Horse Run, Treyburn, Hardscrabble) go to these schools which have a 7 and 8.

Little River Elementary School - Durham, North Carolina - NC - School overview

Mangum Elementary School - Bahama, North Carolina - NC - School overview

Still in North Durham but closer to town is Hillandale
Hillandale Elementary School - Durham, North Carolina - NC - School overview

Of course Chapel Hill schools are going to be rated higher. They are some of the best schools in the state. That's why it is so expensive to live there. They are considered the same quality as private schools. If you can afford to live there and don't mind the longer commute then definitely check it out.

Keep in mind the middle and high schools in Durham are very diverse and the ratings and testing show that. Whereas in Chapel Hill you have a higher percentage of families who are well off and expected to do well, so therefore the testing shows that. Great Schools is also hard to go by since it is based off of a few peoples opinions and not facts (the rating). There is NO way that Northern High is a 2 out of 10. It is continuously a top 5% school acording to Newsweek, and so are Riverside, Jordan, and Durham School of the Arts (which is a magnet you can also consider). DSA only got a 6 on Great Schools, but it is listed as the 346th best school in the country according to Newsweek. Also, like I said there will be a new middle school in North Durham which I know will have high standards and will be a great school. And the nearby Chewning Middle School will be turned into a magnet school, which usually do well and are highly sought after.

Unread 08-14-2009, 07:20 AM

6 posts, read 1,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Chewning Middle School will be turned into a magnet school.
I was unaware that Chewning was becoming a magnet? Do you have any more details on that? Like when it will convert and what kind of magnet it will become?

Unread 08-14-2009, 07:22 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,951,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPosterNewName View Post
I was unaware that Chewning was becoming a magnet? Do you have any more details on that? Like when it will convert and what kind of magnet it will become?
No, I don't. Just read online somewhere that it will be turned into one after the new middle school opens.

Unread 08-16-2009, 02:43 PM

190 posts, read 492,707 times
Wink long-winded....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Monkey View Post
OK.

I had a look last night at lots of the places mentioned, bearing in mind I'm using t'internet for that research...

When I look at properties in the Durham areas and the corresponding schools they get GreatSchools ratings of between 3 and 6 out of 10.

When you look at Chapel Hill and Carrborro, they are 8 or 9 out of 10.

Whilst the Durham properties look nice and have attractive prices the schools info looks . I'm not a fan of private schools, we had a bad experience with my son when he went to a private Kindergaten.

South of Chapel Hill has some interesting property, past Dogwood Acres, Google maps puts the commute at 40 minutes to Baggtown, is that realistic?

The rural area a couple of miles south of CH looks nice, along the

My stepson is in school here in Durham and has been in Raleigh and Wake Forest also, and my daughter (now in college) was schooled in Michigan in all private schools, so I will try to speak to the school issue.

I think (my opinion only) that CH schools are probably the best (haven't personally experienced them), but the area is very expensive compared to other places, and I don't find much to do in CH. The schools in CH are "less diverse" than Raleigh or Durham, which I feel contributes to the overall scores. By that, I mean, it is typically families that are better educated, have better jobs, better automobiles, more money, and perhaps more time to spend helping their children in school.... In contrast, the schools in Durham have children who are not so advantaged... single parent who works, limited time, transportation, energy and money.... I think if it were 'apples to apples' the scores would be much closer... I work with many people who take the bus to work, then take the bus to college, and then take the bus home to take care of the family... THAT, to me, is as impressive as school 'grades'....

I have found in all the schools (private and public), that you get out of it what you put into it. Durham so far, has been the most interactive with me. I am very involved in his schooling, and they are very open to working with me to get the best from him. His grades are better in Durham than they were in the others, and his teacher this year has moved him up to an advanced math class because she felt he was 'beyond' the usual 7th grade math being taught and was not being challenged. I had no idea before this teacher mentioned it to me. I could have chosen a private school, but I am very happy with the education he is getting in public school.

So.... I think the Durham schools get slammed sometimes because of the makeup of the student body... it is diverse, if that bothers you, then you really should look elsewhere (I happen to be 'white' and I love the mix of people we have here in Durham!)... private schools are always an option... I don't think I would let whatever happened in kindergarten ruin it for you... I found Durham to be my home two years ago after living in many different areas, and it IS home, warts and all.... It isn't perfect, but nowhere is. I feel safe here (there are places to avoid, but there are everywhere), love all the things to do and see here, and I am ten minutes from work (leaves me more time to spend with my family). It all depends on what is important to you...

Hope this helps....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary