U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 4,434 times

Advertisements

Employment opportunities will relocate our family to greater Raleigh or the Newport Beach, CA region. We are torn because we have a large family (lots of kids) , and believe that our dollars will go further in NC, lower cost of living, etc., and we need great public schools and a very big house. On the other hand, we have lots of extended family in CA, and we love the city life (restaurants, shopping, nightlife, museums, etc.). We realize that Raleigh may mean a big city sacrifice, but will we be completely bored? My kids are used to the offerings of a big city, will they find Raleigh a cool place to live? Any Chicago transplants out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 AM

513 posts, read 1,048,946 times
Raleigh is not a "big city" but there is plenty to do. 2 hrs from the beach and 3 hrs from the mountains. A $2mil house here would be $15mil there. Downtown is starting to grow and will continue to sprout. There will be new restaurants popping up everywhere over the next few years.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 AM

2,428 posts, read 2,729,954 times
Not trying to be discouraging..but this is coming from a native of North Carolina....If you are use to a big city/Lots of things to do/Culture/Diversity/NC is not the place....I'd have to go with the "OC"on that one....Yeah..the cost of living might be a little higher....but you will have a 'life" I might sound a little sarcastic...but Im being truthful. Plain & Simple...just more to do in Cali....

Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 PM

598 posts, read 1,089,739 times
The question is... what's the difference in your salary depending upon where you will move? I would choose CA too though... IMO, you can always downgrade to NC later--upgrading to CA is pretty difficult..

Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 PM

2,599 posts, read 3,826,905 times
Having lived in both places, CA hands-down.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:30 PM

525 posts, read 1,835,611 times
I totally agree with douknowman. Go to the OC first and get it out of your system. There's really nothing like it. The true mediterranean climate is perfect (no rain, no bugs, little need for furnace or A/C). The lifestyle is incredible. Why do you think people from all over the world want to go there to vacation and to live. It's between San Diego and LA. Just far enough away from both but close enough if you like those scenes.

You can always come to Raleigh - it's not going to go anywhere. You can not compare any place with the OC. Really! We loved our time in the OC and CA in general and moved here to Raleigh in 2008. I don't know that we could ever afford to return to CA, but it doesn't matter, we got it out of our system.

Raleigh and the triangle are very different. It takes some getting used to the differences but I keep reminding myself of why we came here in the first place and that is for all those reasons that Raleigh is so different from the OC. Affordable housing, non-existant HOAs, NO MELLO-ROOS, lot sizes, privacy, sane people (relatively speaking), quiet, etc. But mostly the affordable housing. What we saved on housing alone allows us to go back and visit.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:52 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,206,467 times
I've visited Newport Beach.

I'd rather live in Newport Beach than anywhere in North Carolina.

If you can deal with the highest real estate prices in the nation, then go for it! Seriously.

You can't underestimate the value of family, either, especially if you have a big family of your own.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM

3,155 posts, read 6,960,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBaker View Post
Employment opportunities will relocate our family to greater Raleigh or the Newport Beach, CA region. We are torn because we have a large family (lots of kids) , and believe that our dollars will go further in NC, lower cost of living, etc., and we need great public schools and a very big house. On the other hand, we have lots of extended family in CA, and we love the city life (restaurants, shopping, nightlife, museums, etc.). We realize that Raleigh may mean a big city sacrifice, but will we be completely bored? My kids are used to the offerings of a big city, will they find Raleigh a cool place to live? Any Chicago transplants out there?
This area has a lot of things to do for kids. Some of them are a little more spread out than I would like. But it is a VERY family friendly area.

What sort of activities are your children into? How big of a house do you need and how much can you spend? This will dictate a lot.

Since you said you need great public schools, I'm not certain I would move to Ca with a large family right now. While I think there are still some great public schools in CA, the state's financial situation is a mess. A great school in a unstable financial situation can quickly turn. Yes, NC is having budget issues too, but not nearly on the scale as CA.

We lived in Portland, Oregon and my kids attended a great public school, but the unstable financial situation of the State and thus school funding made life miserable for the parents and always guessing if there was going to be enough money to finish out the school year. UGH!

If children were not a factor I would pick CA in a heartbeat. But if you need good and stable public schools I would look at the job in NC.

Good luck w/ your decision.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM

3,494 posts, read 6,545,886 times
If you move to NC, your money will go much much further - further enough that you can take family vacations to Orange County in fact. I think you need to list what specific things you want in a city to better answer the question.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,434 times
Thanks for all of the insight. We really want to make the right decision. My children are elementary school age & younger. Wake County's school system confuses me a bit, and I wonder if I would be able to get my kids in a great public/charter school, or if the chances of that are slim?. California's budget woes do concern me, especially re: cuts to school funding. And you just cannot beat the quality of the housing for the cost in Raleigh! Simply unheard of here in Chicago. We will continue to soul search.....thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary