U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:24 PM

229 posts, read 398,942 times
Default Moving to Raleigh and wanted to know places to avoid

I don't know anything about the area, and wanted to know if there are certain neighborhoods and apartment communities I should avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Location: Splitting time between Charlotte and Raleigh (work)
61 posts, read 16,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
I don't know anything about the area, and wanted to know if there are certain neighborhoods and apartment communities I should avoid?
Areas around downtown are the worst, especially the southeast part. Traffic in Raleigh is pure hell. Stay on the outskirts of the city and you will be much better off. Life closer in is just not very enjoyable. The outer parts are much nicer and you can really enjoy things much more so.

The best option is to consider the surrounding suburbs. They are much more attractive, much safer and have much less traffic and crime than the city itself. Life is actually enjoyable there.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:36 PM

646 posts, read 1,233,843 times
Quote:
Others will be around to give you a wide range of answers.

There is not one whole town that should be avoided. There are parts of Raleigh and Durham that aren't as desirable (not the downtowns if you like that urban vibe) but there are plenty of other areas. Within those areas, there are plenty of options.

Where will you be working? What is your price range? What are you looking for? A few more details and people will be able to give you more specific answers.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2009 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Please do NOT refer to others as "trolls" -- thanks.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:40 PM

8,994 posts, read 17,596,124 times
Quote:
Family Guy,

What part of Raleigh are you considering? Raleigh is a large place so it is tought to give recommendations without having at least a general idea of what area you are interested in.

There are some nice apartment communities in North Raleigh along Lake Lynn and out over by Brier Creek. However it would help to know where you will be working.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2009 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not other posters -- thanks.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 PM

229 posts, read 398,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
Others will be around to give you a wide range of answers.

There is not one whole town that should be avoided. There are parts of Raleigh and Durham that aren't as desirable (not the downtowns if you like that urban vibe) but there are plenty of other areas. Within those areas, there are plenty of options.

Where will you be working? What is your price range? What are you looking for? A few more details and people will be able to give you more specific answers.
I will be working downtown. I'm not terribly picky. Just want the area to be quiet, and safe. I don't want to live by train tracks or be in a place that has thin walls. My max is around $800.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 PM

Location: Splitting time between Charlotte and Raleigh (work)
61 posts, read 16,014 times
Quote:
I will be working downtown. I'm not terribly picky. Just want the area to be quiet, and safe. I don't want to live by train tracks or be in a place that has thin walls. My max is around $800.
Sounds like western & northern Raleigh and Cary would be the best bets for you. Much safer and more attractive than the downtown area, yet convenient to get in and out of downtown.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 PM

646 posts, read 1,233,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleprompter in Chief View Post
Sounds like western & northern Raleigh and Cary would be the best bets for you. Much safer and more attractive than the downtown area, yet convenient to get in and out of downtown.
Really? How so?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2009 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: PLEASE stop trying to "out" him -- we're working on it, OK?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 PM

7,747 posts, read 8,824,205 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleprompter in Chief View Post
Areas around downtown are the worst, especially the southeast part. Traffic in Raleigh is pure hell. Stay on the outskirts of the city and you will be much better off. Life closer in is just not very enjoyable. The outer parts are much nicer and you can really enjoy things much more so.

The best option is to consider the surrounding suburbs. They are much more attractive, much safer and have much less traffic and crime than the city itself. Life is actually enjoyable there.
Uh...No!

How in the world do you know that this person likes to live in suburbia. Some of us consider suburbia to pure hell.
BTW, suburbia is where all the traffic is since cars are required for practically everything.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:43 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,234,644 times
I already told you! Bexley at Brier Creek!

Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 AM

2,082 posts, read 4,868,740 times
It all depends on what kind of area you are interested in and maybe your demographic. Do you want to be primarily around families, have to drive your car to any kind of entertainment and commute with the flow of rush hour? Or would you rather be in an area with a mix of families and young professionals where you are able to walk to work and many entertainment options? What is important to you in how your location and lifestyle interact?

If I was working downtown, I'd want to live in the downtown vicinity if at all possible. I like the idea of a "reverse commute" and living as close as possible to work. I determined this while living in a city with terrible traffic, and it pretty much applies to anywhere you live if you value your time enough to not want to sit in traffic more than necessary.

I work in North Raleigh, and chose to live downtown. I did the NW Raleigh suburban apartment complex thing for the first year here and was not happy having to drive 8-10 miles every time I was meeting up with friends - downtown. The "luxury" apartment complex I lived in out there also had the thinnest walls and worst outside wall noise dampening I've ever experienced.

It is possible to find a decent 1br in an older apartment building or condo downtown for $800 or less, if that is your thing. Downtown is safe and walkable. Yes, there are train tracks downtown, but you won't hear the whistles from everywhere. I live less than a block for an at-grade crossing and don't mind the whistles at all - in fact I actually find comfort in the sound. But I realize that some people do need absolute quiet.

If you are not looking for the urban lifestyle, North Raleigh is quiet, safe and nice, but you will deal with a lot more traffic. There are tons of apartment complexes in North Raleigh to choose from, but I do not personally know of one that will not have thin walls - I'm not convinced that even exists.

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary