Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:50 PM

40 posts, read 105,760 times

Advertisements

My daughter is studying nursing in a community college and wanna transfer to UNC-Chapel Hill. Does anyone know what is the minmum does she has to get?? The School website shows that student should have at least 3.0 but some people said it's not enough?! Also, does she must has many curriculum activity for applying the university?

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 AM

881 posts, read 2,252,637 times
I have no idea for the school of nursing, their requirements may be much tougher due to demand. But some of the other departments at UNC are extremely easy to transfer into. Most I know just met the minimum GPA requirements and that's all they needed (the SAT scores/extra curr. didn't matter at that point)

Old 08-14-2009, 07:54 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,077 times
This process can be really complicated. I recommend calling the admissions office at either the community college or the college and asking to speak to a counselor. They will have all the information you need. Both systems have put a lot of work and effort in the past 5 years to make transfers from community colleges to 4-year schools a lot easier.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighkc View Post
This process can be really complicated. I recommend calling the admissions office at either the community college or the college and asking to speak to a counselor. They will have all the information you need. Both systems have put a lot of work and effort in the past 5 years to make transfers from community colleges to 4-year schools a lot easier.
+1 on this. Nobody on this board is qualified to provide advice in the area you're asking...all would be speculative (and even the advice of the counselors would be somewhat speculative...but closer to the mark).

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 AM

11 posts, read 65,701 times
ncsualum, do you know what other areas are easiest to get into? I'd LOVE to go to UNC. It's my dream school, and right now I have a 3.0.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotscore9 View Post
do you know what other areas are easiest to get into? I'd LOVE to go to UNC.
Probably the football stadium on any given Saturday this fall.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri902 View Post
My daughter is studying nursing in a community college and wanna transfer to UNC-Chapel Hill. Does anyone know what is the minmum does she has to get?? The School website shows that student should have at least 3.0 but some people said it's not enough?! Also, does she must has many curriculum activity for applying the university?

THANKS
You must have the minimum because they use that as a gauge for success and, statistically, they have found those that perform at lower levels may not succeed to the standards they uphold. With that stated, the reason that they often accept students with higher grade point averages is due to the idea they receive more applications than they do school positions and, from that pool, the top group filling the positions will have usually have a higher GPA. However, if in one semester they are short of applicants, you may find them choosing students closer to that minimum GPA (I doubt they would accept any below that, but I do not know for certain). This is hardly the case from what they have told me.

But GPA can also be compensated by a good history of volunteerism. It can be volunteer work of any kind ranging from community involvement to hospital staffing to charity work.

Nonetheless, you want to call up the school of nursing to find out the details. They also hold orientation nights, so be sure to check the website or ask an administrator at the school of nursing for those dates too.

The last day to apply for January 2010 is August 17. For May of 2010, I think it's the last day of this year, or thereabouts. Then, you must wait until the following January 2011 entrance with a deadline, probably, in August 2010.

The following is the prerequisite list for first time degree pursuits:

STOR 155 Introduction to Statistics
Biology 101/101L Principles of Biology
Chemistry 101/101L & Chemistry 102/102L General Descriptive Chemistry OR Biochemistry 107/107L &
Biochemistry 108/108L Introduction to Biochemistry
*Biology 252 Fundamentals of Human Anatomy & Physiology
*PSYC 101 Introduction to Psychology
*STOR 151 Basic Concepts of Statistics & Data Analysis OR *Physiology 202 Introduction to Physiology
*Microbiology 251 Introduction to Medical Microbiology OR Microbiology 255 Elementary Pathogenic Microbiology

*Second degree applicants take only six course prerequisites: five designated science courses plus either a US Diversity OR a Global Issues course.

Go to this page for details:
School of Nursing @ UNC-Chapel Hill (http://nursing.unc.edu/degree/bsn/index.html - broken link)

Old 08-15-2009, 03:16 PM

66 posts, read 143,472 times
I do know that it will be easier for her to be accepted if she is living in the state. 80% of the student population is from NC due to state requirements. I think they do have a tough academic bar.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,338,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri902 View Post

THANKS
Perhaps SHE should contact someone within the School of Nursing and ask the question herself. It is also possible for HER to call the transfer admissions counselor as well and ask if there is an articulation agreement in place with her community college, assuming she is at a cc in NC. In addition, she should look at the N-CLEX pass rates.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 AM

930 posts, read 2,160,300 times
My neice just finished dual enrollment in high school. She wants to go into nursing. She is now entering UNCC as a sophomore. Luckily, her mother was on top of things when she was in high school and knew that she wanted to go to UNCC. The course requirements for the community college and for UNCC for nursing were completely different. If my sister hadn't been in contact with an UNCC counselor for the last two years, it would have been a complete waste of time for my neice.

I went to orientation with her at UNCC. They are very strict in getting into the nursing program. At UNCC, it is on a point system. They only accept 50 students a semester. They are graded on their GPA, volunteer or work time in the field(hands on patient experience) and they MUST have completed 30 hours of their nursing requirements at UNCC. This last part, I don't agree with. They said that one girl with a 3.9 gpa that transferred in didn't get into the program because she didn't get enough points!! I would much rather have a nurse working on me with a 3.9 gpa than a 3.4. Political!!

I know these are different schools, but they are very strict about these programs and they are very hard to get into.

Just information I found to be interesting to share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary