Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times

Advertisements

UNC81 - Thanks, I downloaded Malwarebytes Sunday and have run a full scan and several quick scans. It shows all is clean. Perhaps I'm just worried for no reason. Thanks for the local recommendations.

Aldamon - Thank you for the product recommendations - I will definately look into these.

Wheelsup - Thank you for the reminder about getting my 2000+ photos off onto a separate HD. I've known for a year that I should do this but have not. I noticed some deals in Sunday's paper.

Mia78 - HT stands for HijackThis. It's a program you can run which will provide you with a logfile of Running Processes, registry values, inifiles, hijacking, etc. then someone with some knowledge can decipher the report and address any damage malware may have created.

Thanks all for local recommendations!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:57 PM

225 posts, read 574,927 times
The virus didn't come from google search - it came from the link you clicked (I assume the restaurant website).

Try running Spybot Search and Destroy as well, because that's free. It sounds like you avoided getting the spyware installed though.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:16 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livesintriangle View Post
The virus didn't come from google search - it came from the link you clicked (I assume the restaurant website).
livesintriangle, you are absolutely right, the virus came from the restaurant link once I clicked on it. It's a small local Raleigh restaurant, I wonder if I should tell them??

Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 AM

8 posts, read 27,268 times
Friendly and Helpful Consultants

Specifically, you want
Friendly and Helpful Consultants - Residential Software Services

Not the prettiest web site but it does get the job done... Knowing the proprietor (a personal friend of mine, though I've also consulted him professionally) I suspect you'll think similar thoughts if you meet him.

Family business in NE Raleigh, but they'll come to you if you want. I suspect they'd even quote you a fixed rate for the project, if you wanted, and should be able to come up with a better way to segment your computer, improve browsing security in the future, etc. if that would be useful for you.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 AM

47 posts, read 129,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
I've run Norton 360, Windows Defender, Norton Security Scan, Malwarebytes and everything shows up clean, however I'm still skeptical and when I run HijackThis and review the report (which I have no idea what I'm looking at) I see what looks like forwarding, redirecting, and overriding going on when I use search or IE. I'm wondering what other script was changed or is defective.
I do not like Norton at all. I got more virus's with Norton then with the free version of AVG. Norton also tends to be a resource hog because of all the services it installs. And because of all those services it can be problematic to uninstall as well. I've become a personal fan of BitDefender. Also, are you running a Hardware or Software Firewall?? If you have a decent router all you should need to use is the HW firewall. Also, to be on the safe side you should clear your browser cache, browsing history, authenticated sessions, etc... after you are done surfing, expecially if you do alot of online shpping.

As per suggestions, Intrex is probably the best around, though I don't know their rates. I do my own systems' cleaning on a regular basis. If you do a backup of all the data and applications you want to keep I'm sure someone here would be willing to help you out, myself included.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 AM

225 posts, read 574,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
livesintriangle, you are absolutely right, the virus came from the restaurant link once I clicked on it. It's a small local Raleigh restaurant, I wonder if I should tell them??
That might be a good idea - they might not know and I'm sure they'd want to fix it!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:11 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I like nod32 for AV. Norton and Symantec has come a long way in the past year and they have a darn good AV product. Symantec is very active in the security and cyber threats communities and I believe that helps them get a leg up in detection and signature definitions.

As for backups, I like carbonite, it's an online off site backup. I got 2 years for $75 and have 28gigs backed up there.

Last edited by zinner; 08-19-2009 at 11:21 AM..

Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I do a complete reformat every 6 months or so. These days with the recovery discs that install everything it's so painless vs. having to load each driver separately. Just save your photos, music, files etc. to a DVD or external HD and copy them back over.

That sounds horrible!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,879,858 times
I also run CCleaner. It does not remove viruses, but it will clean up your registry and Internet cache history to get rid of the garbage and endless cookies stored on your system. You can choose which cookies to keep for sites that you know and use often.

WinPatrol will monitor your system registry and prevent any programs from changing it without your permission. This will help alert you if a program or virus tries to hack your registry which is the heart of the windows system environment.

I prefer Avast antivirus over AVG. You do have to register your use of the software to get a license key and renew it once a year, but it is free of charge for the basic personal home use only version. Avast does automatic program and virus definition updates and is a bit more user friendly than AVG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary