Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:48 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times

Advertisements

Okay, so DH and I were quick out the door when I realized I didn't have the address to a local restaurant, so I Google searched them, clicked on the restaurant link and my machine went crazy. I got a virus and possibly a Trojan. From Google Search!!!!! (I did not "click here" to download the bogus AV Care antivirus software I saw on my screen).

I've run Norton 360, Windows Defender, Norton Security Scan, Malwarebytes and everything shows up clean, however I'm still skeptical and when I run HijackThis and review the report (which I have no idea what I'm looking at) I see what looks like forwarding, redirecting, and overriding going on when I use search or IE. I'm wondering what other script was changed or is defective.

I need peace of mind and want someone to examine my machine thoroughly and make sure there's no back-door entry port left open, or anyone can get my personal info, fix broken links, etc. These things are my lifeline.

No offense against Geek Squad (I've never used them), but people have told me to stay away from them. Any other suggestions? I can take the laptop to them but prefer Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:54 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
when I run HijackThis and review the report (which I have no idea what I'm looking at) I see what looks like forwarding, redirecting, and overriding going on when I use search or IE.

No offense against Geek Squad (I've never used them), but people have told me to stay away from them. Any other suggestions? I can take the laptop to them but prefer Raleigh.
  1. Can you post the report from HT and I'll take a look for you.
  2. Switch to FireFox from IE. IE is risky business.
  3. Geek Squad is an over priced load of crap full of incompetence. I'd definitely recommend a local shop over a corporate place. That being said, no idea about local shops around here as I just troubleshoot everything myself. Anyone have some recommendations for cstleddy?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I'd say you were right to have her post the hijack results and she can get decent advice for free!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:49 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
The *only* way to be sure is to backup your data and then completely (Master Boot Record, All partitions) wipe the drive and reinstall from scratch from a trusted source.

Anyone that will take your money and not do those steps isn't going to add any value to you.

I do computer security for a living and that is the only way to be sure. AV is nice but it's a safety net at best and the hackers are days ahead of the AV companies. And yes legit sites get hacked every day and malicious code is inserted.

I might sound paranoid but it's the way it is, you are very intelligent to realize you were hacked and are taking steps to fix it. These guys will steal all your credit cards, back account information and sell it to the highest bidder, assuming you do internet banking and purchasing.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
cstleddy, check your direct messages for a recommendation.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
  1. Can you post the report from HT and I'll take a look for you.
  2. Switch to FireFox from IE. IE is risky business.
  3. Geek Squad is an over priced load of crap full of incompetence. I'd definitely recommend a local shop over a corporate place. That being said, no idea about local shops around here as I just troubleshoot everything myself. Anyone have some recommendations for cstleddy?
DPK - where should I post the HT report? should I DM you?
I added Firefox - now we just need to start using it.
I received a couple of local repair recommendations. Thank you!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I do a complete reformat every 6 months or so. These days with the recovery discs that install everything it's so painless vs. having to load each driver separately. Just save your photos, music, files etc. to a DVD or external HD and copy them back over.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,496 times
You've done well so far on your own. Now back up anything important and run Combofix. It'll clean up just about everything, including the worst rootkits out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
I added Firefox - now we just need to start using it.
Use the Add-ons NoScript and Adblock Plus with Firefox. Flashblock is also good. Basically, nothing gets through my browser unless I permit it. All ads, Flash nonsense, and scripts are blocked by default with those Add-ons installed.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:42 PM

143 posts, read 417,080 times
HT is good, but you'll have better luck getting that cleaned off using MalwareBytes' free scanner.

If you're looking for good residential service, Intrex Computers is hands down the place to go around here, and for business service, Pointe Systems has been great.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:57 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,606 times
Please pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is HT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary