U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2007, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,042 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a small town in the Durham area within easy commuting distance of DSA. Home prices can be around $700-900K. I have one 14 year old boy who will be going to DSA. We're relocating from a small town in NJ in July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 06:04 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,851,789 times
If your going to the Durham School of the Arts and not want to be right in the middle of the city, I have some great communities that you might want to check out. In your price point you may want to look at Treyburn, priced from the $300s-$2 million+ They are custom homes on one or two acre homesites. half with water views from $600s-$2 million It is a country club which is available by membership. Greenway trails, neighborhood parks, Little River and Reservoir. It is a beautiful community with a country feel to it. Their are many other choices in the Durham area, and the outskirts if I know what your looking for in a home. Good Luck and I hope that you enjoy the area as much as I do.

Regards,

Debbie

Old 04-27-2007, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 18,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notapol View Post
We're looking for a small town in the Durham area within easy commuting distance of DSA. Home prices can be around $700-900K. I have one 14 year old boy who will be going to DSA. We're relocating from a small town in NJ in July.
If you're moving from a small town in NJ, Hope Valley would probably be your best bet. Forest Hills is nice, but is fairly close to some sketchier areas of Durham...not that big of a deal if you've grown up around it (like me), but might be if you're coming from a small town in NJ.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:25 PM

14 posts, read 34,263 times
Hope Valley -- Forest hills is beautiful, but a little too close (walking distance)to the downtown "projects" area. Hope Valley is beautiful. Great golf club too. By the way, try Sunday brunch at Foster's market at the end of Hope Valley Rd and Chapel Hill Blvd.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,042 times
Thanks for the tips. My husband really likes HOpe Valley - but not sure my son will since he's not much of a sportsman. I'll check out the other communities. Can't thank you all enough for your input!

Old 04-29-2007, 07:30 PM

1,665 posts, read 3,452,124 times
I think they're both wonderful neighborhoods! Forest Hills does border less economically disadvantaged neighborhoods but doesn't suffer for it -- it has terrific home values and re-sale, and is closer to the historic downtown core than HV. On the other hand, Hope Valley is a wonderful neighborhood with terrific historic homes.

Treyburn is worth a look too, but be aware it's a somewhat less diverse and much less historic community (i.e., all new construction) than FH or HV. I'd suggest looking at it as well, though.

Good luck! DSA is a really wonderful school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary