Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 PM

49 posts, read 214,481 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone - PLEASE don't be put off by my screen name - I am not your "typical" NJ loudmouth - I spent the first part of my life in Tallahassee and was teased plenty in Jersey schools for my southern accent! Also, my wife is from rural Pennsylvania. So those are my open-minded/non-condescending-northerner "credentials."

Anyway, we (with 3 little ones - aged 3, 2 and 3 months - I know we're crazy!) are looking to relocate; while NJ doesn't deserve the joke of a national reputation it has, it still has legitimate concerns for us as parents (crowds, taxes, home prices, often materialistic values).

Everyone speaks highly of the Triangle, Raleigh specifically, so we will be down next week to explore in person - not tourist attractions, but neighborhoods, grocery stores, parks, etc. - daily living stuff.

We're looking for a charming, family-oriented neighborhood, in which to plant ROOTS. Where neighbors interact. Where kid are safe, with good schools, etc.

About us:
I can work from home.
Price range - 400 - 500,000
I am caucasian, my wife is Vietnamese (American born and raised) - an issue?
We're open-minded, curious, non-judgmental, enjoy a bit of art and culture, good food, but definitely no longer "hipsters"

Thanks in advance for any insider feedback you provide - I am really curious about the reality behind my computer screen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:05 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
No, your wife being Vietnamese is not an issue.

My daughter is Asian, and I wondered that years ago when I moved here. I had nothing to worry about. There are many Asians here.

I don't think fitting in is a problem whatsoever.

I even have a friend from New Jersey, and I like her even though she is sometimes loud. And she knows she's loud. And she doesn't care. Nor do I.

And there aren't many tourist attractions down here at all. But enough things to do to keep us all busy.

Try Bedford at Falls River. It's "nouveau" charming. Its theme is "It's a Wonderful Life." http://www.bedfordtradition.com/index.php?&c=1&hh=433

Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 PM

72 posts, read 196,606 times
Seriously, your screenname and disclaimer are an annoyance and typical of the "hey, I'm from up North look at me" attitude that we deal with on a seemingly daily basis here. You sound like an average couple with a family from anyplace really, so just go with that, and lovesbrentwood gave you a great recomendation.

Please come on down and don't worry about your mulit-ethnic family, this is not the 1950's time suspended smallville, if you have any issue because ot that here, post the dealio, we'll help fix it. We don't stand for that in NC!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I don't think your screen number is an annoyance. I thought it was friendly.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
The screenname Matthew in Jersey is an "annoyance"???? Absurd. How about Xdeth (?? ex-death)....sounds so warm and welcoming.....

Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Actually Matthew I think you and your family hit the sweet spot of the Raleigh area. Young, around 2.5 children, and can work from home. IMHO you define the area! I think your situation is a perfect fit.

I know you will find any number of places that meet what you are looking for anywhere inside Raleigh and all around it. Your selections of homes is well to be exact about 820 awaiting you in Wake County alone. These are the available home in the $400k to $500k range and in that range people are dealing man!

So good luck in your look-see trip and I think you will find the Raleigh area WARM (temperature and personality wise), Friendly (Like the Friendly's Ice Cream shops you have in Jersey), and Inviting (like a pop-cycle salesman in the dessert).

Welcome!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 AM

49 posts, read 214,481 times
Default Thanks for the feedback so far

thanks folks for the feedback so far - I am excited.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:58 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
You could ask people from all of the towns in and around raleigh (wake forest, holly springs, apex, cary, knightdale, clayton, durham, chapel hill, etc) which town is their favorite and they would all probably pick the town they live in! Within all of those towns there are some great great neighborhoods that offer all kinds of amenities. I think when you are down here, you should try and spend time in the different towns, that may help instead of driving from apex to wake forest then back to cary, kwim?

For me, I am partial to wake forest, I live here, have for 4 years (live in cary before that, holly springs before that, north raleigh before that, and grew up in chapel hill). I think wake forest has that small town feel, with some wonderful neighborhoods with lots of amenities for young kids.

Check out the carolina parent online for activities for the little ones (the magazine is a great resource). Definitely check out the museum of life and science in durham, if possible.

Leigh

Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
Gosh, you will have a lot of options. Since you can work from home, you will also have a lot of options. If your kids like a neighborhod pool, then there are a couple of neighborhoods I could suggest. I've found that I've seen many with young kids in neighborhoods with pools. I like Sunset Oaks in Holly Springs and Briar Chapel in Chapel Hill. Briar Chapel is not very close to Raleigh, but it's an 8 min drive into Chapel Hill. You can check out their website. If your like outdoor activities you would like it, plus the pool is the best I've seen in the area.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 AM

9 posts, read 23,037 times
I live in Wake Forest and absolutely love it. I agree with a previous poster - most people are going to say the area they live in. There are so many beautiful neighborhoods that are close to stores and downtown.
Also, I am white and my husband if Philippino. We've had some people look at us funny but I wouldn't say it's because of the area. It's usually older folks that are set in their ways (my grandfather being one of them) and it's happened in many states. No worries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary