Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,844,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekoneko99 View Post
So I am in Durham (southpoint mall area) and have had Time warner for the past 2 years I've been here. I have been having a constant problem with my internet. Basically it will get to periods where it will slow down to less than 1 mbps or just completely stop or disconnect. Resetting the router will fix this, however, once this problem starts it persists so that it will constantly do this, so evey 5 minutes i either have disconnection or unbearable speeds. 2 or 3 times in the past this has happened, a tech is sent out, he fiddles with our box/connection and all seems to work well for maybe a month or so, then it starts up again.

Has anyone had anything like this? Was it something you were able to resolve? I wish I could just go with another provider but it doesn't seem like there is any fast dsl for my location either.

Any adive at all? I pay them so much money and last night I could not even get basic pages to load, or play any online games.
I went thru the same with TW..actually much worse! Their CS reps were very nice to me. The first tech they sent out said he'd fixed it and not a couple of hrs later it went out again. I went thru this for months with different techs and repeating this scenario, including me being told to disconnect the modem for 3-5 mins for it to reset. This would often work but maybe only for days. i ended up with 3 different modems which they brought over, I finally had their supv handle things personally and he made things move. He checked all the lines into my house, under it and outside at the box, he discovered much of it was either the wrong wire or not hooked up properly.
Since then I have not needed to call them in over a yr. The modem i have now is fine but still needs resetting maybe every few months. I learned that many of their techs are contract employees from other companies...these were the folks that messed things up and never could fix it for long. TW staffers were by far more technically capable and efficient.
i hope this helps with some thoughts on what you might suggest they do next for you. BTW -do not work around their sched if you've had to have them out so many times - they've used up their chances! They need to do what is convenient for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 05:48 PM

242 posts, read 1,210,969 times
Are you using wireless connection through the router? If so, is it secured? If not, you may have others connecting to your router and using your service, thus also slowing you down further. Thats not to say you dont have a service issue and probably do have a signal problem into the modem.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 PM

190 posts, read 1,074,321 times
I started having issues with the internet 'leaving' for brief periods of time, I called one day, Time Warner sent someone out the next day.... The guy said I needed a booster (whatever that is), installed it and it has worked great ever since. I called the Durham TWC office (where I live), and I don't know if the office makes a difference, but I felt I got great service.... No complaints here (other than the price..... it is definitely expensive....)

Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 AM

47 posts, read 129,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumanurseNC View Post
I started having issues with the internet 'leaving' for brief periods of time, I called one day, Time Warner sent someone out the next day.... The guy said I needed a booster (whatever that is), installed it and it has worked great ever since. I called the Durham TWC office (where I live), and I don't know if the office makes a difference, but I felt I got great service.... No complaints here (other than the price..... it is definitely expensive....)
Signal Boosters work pretty well, and if your connection really is that bad then TW should provide you with one for no charge. The more connections and signal splitters you have installed within the house the weaker the signal can become. So If you are running a VoIP line, cable TV, and Internet, add a few signal splitters to that, you'll get a huge loss of bandwidth. A signal booster like a Motorola Broadband Drop Amp should be installed outside of your house, where the cable connection comes in.

Or as others have said it may just be a bad Modem. I would assume it's a Surfboard SB5101 Modem. If you are running Windows Vista (or Windows 7) you may want to download the updated driver Driver pack here (http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/support/default.asp?supportSection=CableModems - broken link), and see if that helps. If not, ask for a replacement.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:03 PM

14 posts, read 30,358 times
I live in the same area and have been having the same problem for several weeks.

The speeds are great at times, particularly after a reset (22Mbps/down using TWC Turbo) but too often are around 3Mbps.

I think they do it on purpose.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 AM

190 posts, read 1,074,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLegionxX View Post
Signal Boosters work pretty well, and if your connection really is that bad then TW should provide you with one for no charge. The more connections and signal splitters you have installed within the house the weaker the signal can become. So If you are running a VoIP line, cable TV, and Internet, add a few signal splitters to that, you'll get a huge loss of bandwidth. A signal booster like a Motorola Broadband Drop Amp should be installed outside of your house, where the cable connection comes in.

Or as others have said it may just be a bad Modem. I would assume it's a Surfboard SB5101 Modem. If you are running Windows Vista (or Windows 7) you may want to download the updated driver Driver pack here (http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/support/default.asp?supportSection=CableModems - broken link), and see if that helps. If not, ask for a replacement.
You are right. My daughter moved in, bringing her T.V., desktop and laptop computers, which evidently was the straw that broke the camel's back... We have too much stuff for one little cable connection evidently.... TWC did install the booster thingy for free.... Thanks for the information though, I am sure many will find it helpful!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 23,343 times
It is not the wireless, on several occasion when this occurred I wired up a pc directly to the modem to make sure the same poor/no service was occurring- it was. Also tried a new modem-did nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton76 View Post
I live in the same area and have been having the same problem for several weeks.

The speeds are great at times, particularly after a reset (22Mbps/down using TWC Turbo) but too often are around 3Mbps.

I think they do it on purpose.
I bet you are down the street from me or something. It makes me wonder how many people are experiencing this...

For what it's worth to you, we got this escalated to a level 2 guy on the phone and he came out yesterday. He's sort of the guy that fixes other cable repairers stuff. He couldn't find anything here to fix immediately though. He's suppose to get back to us in a few days. If your's is as annoyingly debilitating as mine, I would really suggest calling up and asking to have a higher tech look at it. I can't be the only house in this neighborhood, but I bet most people are just putting up with it, if more people complained it it put this issue higher on their radar. These speeds are unacceptable

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary