U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:26 PM

524 posts, read 1,143,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
For this thread alone, I am talking about racial diversity. I can only estimate that type of diversity via a picture. I cannot tell their income level via a picture. I just found it strange that the makeup of patrons is not at all the makeup of the city itself. I thought it an interesting and curious observation that is making my thinking wheels spin looking for an answer.
Don't think about it too much... the answer is right here!

In all seriousness, though, there may not be a lot of racial diversity at the Durham Farmers' Market - I live right down the street from the market and visit it on most Saturdays. My experience has been that the racial diversity at farmers' markets often doesn't match the diversity of the city overall, with the possible exception of a couple of markets near Atlanta and in Los Angeles, which both have a strong international flavor. When I lived in Raleigh and went to the State Farmers' Market there, I never noticed any significant degree of racial diversity; the crowds there certainly weren't a representative sample of Raleigh's population. Durham's market is no different, and that's not terribly surprising. Is it really a relevant issue? I'm not sure that it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:35 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,795,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
Don't think about it too much... the answer is right here!
OH, you beat me to it. #5 on the list even.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 AM

142 posts, read 408,515 times
I am from Chicago and looking at the pictures makes me want to come down an a Saturday to visit the market. Great pics and I have heard great things about "Only Burger".

Old 08-23-2009, 10:53 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,165,573 times
And of course, the reason it is being brought up #7 #7 Diversity Stuff White People Like

Old 08-23-2009, 11:26 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,560,277 times
That list is hilarious.

You didn't get any pictures of the Garden of Eatin'! That's one of the best parts. Right near the front is a huge herb garden. It looks at first glance like any other standard urban landscaping, but on closer inspection all the plants are herbs.

I'm not sure what the policy is on helping yourself, but I think if you needed a sprig of rosemary you could probably just pick a few. I've got my own herb garden, but their rosemary bushes are something to see.

I like the state market too; it's just a very different experience. If I could only go to one it would be the Durham one. Fortunately I can mix it up.

You got there before Little Tree Farm sold out of eggs. My family was dragging getting out the door.

If you're in the market for chickens raised on pasture, Castlemaine farm sets up a booth there, and they've got a really good chicken CSA. (as well as a veggie CSA, but you'd have to wait for next year to get in on that).

Old 08-23-2009, 11:36 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,946,764 times
KUDOS NRG! My wife and I love seeing pix of the area. Helps with our weekend planning!

Durham is on our list to explore one weekend SOON!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
I am thankful it is not the state farmers market. Lots of organic produce and no vendors with cigarettes hanging out of their mouth with ashes dropping down into the food. Real farmers, real food, real clean. I love supporting the organic farmers at Durham Farmers Market.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 AM

9,569 posts, read 27,068,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
That list is hilarious.

You didn't get any pictures of the Garden of Eatin'! That's one of the best parts. Right near the front is a huge herb garden. It looks at first glance like any other standard urban landscaping, but on closer inspection all the plants are herbs.
I did notice that garden and did take a few shots of it. I just didn't post them here. It was cool. I might try and post more pictures later.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 AM

190 posts, read 1,017,752 times
Thanks for the pictures! You always post the greatest pictures of places, and even when I've been somewhere, you make me want to go back SOON! Thanks!

Old 08-25-2009, 06:12 AM

121 posts, read 342,582 times
I'm in one of those pictures.

Best farmer's market in the area. I've rarely missed a Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary