Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:04 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times

Advertisements

NRG - great pics of GORGEOUS homes. The Cameron Village area reminds me of the East Side of Providence, not far from Brown University. My favorite home in the pics above is the 3rd one, sort of light yellow. Incredibly beautiful. What does a home such as this one in Cameron Village sell for? I can dream......
I would leave Cary in a heartbeat if I could have that house!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 AM

33 posts, read 115,124 times
My preference changes almost daily (lol) because there are so many good things about each neighborhood in this area. I travel to DC and NY often, so I chose Brier Creek with its proximity to RDU and I-85. Wish Brier Creek had better quality condos (no wonder they are not selling) otherwise I would have bought something. Really would love to see some contemporary style condos / lofts like those they have in Austin and Dallas. Why can't someone build some??

Shops and restaurants in Brier Creek are ok -- you get your basic shopping and entertainment needs without having to travel far. Definitely works for me.

Having been here for less than two years, I have been impressed by these areas. Can't wait to check out some homes in the coming Parade of Homes...

1. Brightleaf in Durham (so close to RTP and Brier Creek, new community, brand new homes though high taxes and small lots I can expect)

2. Weycroft in Cary (absolutely beautiful homes although I am not ready yet to pay for their prices)

3. Hillsborough - I can't tell you exactly what I like about it, but if I have a family, that would be high on my list. Peaceful and not terribly far from RTP either. can't remember what golf course they have out there, but it's gorgeous even though i am not a golfer by any stretch.

4. Hope Valley in Durham - love the heavily wooded setting and different styles of homes.

Last edited by Redsoxasian; 08-29-2009 at 09:48 AM..

Old 08-29-2009, 07:11 PM

393 posts, read 673,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxasian View Post
My preference changes almost daily (lol) because there are so many good things about each neighborhood in this area.
That's for sure. It was hard for us to find the time to search every area and make our list of favorite places, but we finally did it. We love so many aspects of so many different locations. Most every place has something great going for it. We easily ruled out both cities as we don't work in either and really don't like gridlock traffic, so they didn't make any sense. That left the surrounding suburbs, which all have something unique to them.

I'll tell you, I love having all the choices around. It took a long time to narrow it down, but once we came across the dream house we found, we knew it was the best. Between the supreme location, best layout, big square footage, big yard, unique neighborhood and friendly & comfortable neighbors, it just could not be beat.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:25 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Well-
We lived in NW Cary for 4 1/2 years and liked it a lot. There are still things we miss about that location. However-the pace of growth honestly became a little too much. Green Level to Durham Road, the road now infamous for its many accidents (one resulting in tragedy) was ONE LANE and GRAVEL when we moved to Cary Park in May 2003. It's now a 4 lane divided highway.
We had planned to move to Apex but the failings of a builder (that's a story for another thread) forced us into expanding our home search after selling our home in Cary Park.
We ended up in SE Cary adjacent to Middle Creek High School.
The good-

A decent sized lot that fit our budget and a home that at the time we purchased it would have run at least $150K more in NW Cary than we paid.

School assignments that appear to be among the more stable in the county.

A neighborhood where we feel very comfortable.

An easy commute for me (to the Regency Park area).

The not so good-

We miss being closer to the Western end of the area. Without question the area of Cary West of NC55 is geographically more favorable in terms of access to more of the best of the Triangle. We talked this morning over coffee about taking a ride up to Chapel Hill today and if we were living in West Cary we wouldn't hesitate but at 50 minutes each way we tend to make that trip less frequently.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:03 PM

223 posts, read 566,703 times
I have to say that I appreciate the positive tone of Apex Intruders threadas there have been many other threads that have seemed to be a backhanded way of bashing people who didn't like what everyone else liked. That being said, we looked all around parts of Raleigh, North Raleigh, Apex, Cary but initially liked Holly Springs. It was quiet enough with not too much commercial stuff yet we could get to what we wanted easily. Then we discovered that we would have one child in year round school and the other in traditional so we headed to Clayton and we haven't looked back. We are homebodies at times and other times we are day tripper kind of people. We will pick a town and go there and explore. We are within 20 minutes of additional shopping or restaurants. We are close enough to the flea market and farmers market though Clayton now has a small one. We have never picked a house based on where we work because my husband has the flexibilty to work from home when he wants or needs to. We pick solely on the neighborhood, the house, and how the town feels to us. Convenience and being closer to more may make sense to others but for us it's the small town feel that works better. But once the kids are gone, who knows where we will end up.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:02 PM

393 posts, read 673,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamangirl View Post
I have to say that I appreciate the positive tone of Apex Intruders threadas there have been many other threads that have seemed to be a backhanded way of bashing people who didn't like what everyone else liked. That being said, we looked all around parts of Raleigh, North Raleigh, Apex, Cary but initially liked Holly Springs. It was quiet enough with not too much commercial stuff yet we could get to what we wanted easily. Then we discovered that we would have one child in year round school and the other in traditional so we headed to Clayton and we haven't looked back. We are homebodies at times and other times we are day tripper kind of people. We will pick a town and go there and explore. We are within 20 minutes of additional shopping or restaurants. We are close enough to the flea market and farmers market though Clayton now has a small one. We have never picked a house based on where we work because my husband has the flexibilty to work from home when he wants or needs to. We pick solely on the neighborhood, the house, and how the town feels to us. Convenience and being closer to more may make sense to others but for us it's the small town feel that works better. But once the kids are gone, who knows where we will end up.
I like the way you think. There are so many variables when buying a home and not everyone values items A, B or C the same as the next person. Some people just have to live within walking distance to work. Others are glad to travel 30 minutes to work and are looking for something different.

I am glad you are so happy with your choice. That's what it's all about and no one can tell you otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary