Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:18 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,130 times

Advertisements

How do you know which track you child will start in when you are a new comer? Do you just start on the next one coming up that is closest to your move? Or do you have the option to skip that one and start on the next track?

My kids will be at Jones Dairy in WF and from the calendar it looks like the first track that starts aftert our moved date is Track 1 starting July 9. Do we automatically get put into that one or is there an option to wait until track 4 starts in late august.

I think i would rather have them start earlier just because I work and then i wont have to find daycare/camps for the whole summer. But I was just wondering.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 10:26 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfamilyof4 View Post
How do you know which track you child will start in when you are a new comer? Do you just start on the next one coming up that is closest to your move? Or do you have the option to skip that one and start on the next track?

My kids will be at Jones Dairy in WF and from the calendar it looks like the first track that starts aftert our moved date is Track 1 starting July 9. Do we automatically get put into that one or is there an option to wait until track 4 starts in late august.

I think i would rather have them start earlier just because I work and then i wont have to find daycare/camps for the whole summer. But I was just wondering.

thanks
I doubt you will have a problem getting them into a track other then 4. That is the most popular one. I would call the school and see what their policy is though.

My friend's daughter is starting Kindergarden at Jones Dairy in August. WHen they registered, they were told track 4 was pretty filled at most grade levels.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:

thanks
From what I understand, you need to register with the school (tell them you are moving, when your close date is, etc) and call the school directly as you will get the most accurate information for that particular school. I believe they will put you where they have space. We are on track 4 for north forest pines, and it starts july 30th, the other tracks start july 9th. Definitely call and ask at jones dairy.

I think tracks 1 and 4 are relatively popular, so I don't know how available they will be.

Leigh

Old 04-29-2007, 01:31 PM

9 posts, read 33,839 times
I have three kids who will be in K, 1st, 4th for next year. How likely would it be to get all three kids in the same track? I really have no problem with the year round schedule, but not having them be on the same tracks would be hell-ish!!

Old 04-29-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy3RD View Post
I have three kids who will be in K, 1st, 4th for next year. How likely would it be to get all three kids in the same track? I really have no problem with the year round schedule, but not having them be on the same tracks would be hell-ish!!
I hear it's not guaranteed, but I do know families that have kids on the same track, so it's not impossible either.

I don't know how they are addressing this (most of my friends have only children) or it's the same at each school. Have you talked to the specific school?

Old 04-29-2007, 01:39 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Jones Dairy/Heritge MS puts them all on the same track, unless you request otherwise.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:56 PM

No, we haven't even decided if we are definitely moving yet. We are planning our first visit late June/early July. That was just a main concern of mine to get them all on the same track. I do understand that come middle school they may go back to a regular schedule. But it would be great to have them on the same schedule for as long as we can.

Are the class sizes generally kept to a reasonable level? With all this growth that would be a concern. Do they add in aides if the classes get too big?

Old 04-29-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy3RD View Post
No, we haven't even decided if we are definitely moving yet. We are planning our first visit late June/early July. That was just a main concern of mine to get them all on the same track. I do understand that come middle school they may go back to a regular schedule. But it would be great to have them on the same schedule for as long as we can.

Are the class sizes generally kept to a reasonable level? With all this growth that would be a concern. Do they add in aides if the classes get too big?
Lower grades have smaller classes...higher grades seem to be around 28 students max (we've never had more then that - often smaller). There seemed to be plenty of aides, but they often are shared amoung teachers.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:26 PM

My son's kindergarten class this year has 28 kids. I was HORRIFIED!!! They do get an aide everyday, but still that is more like crowd control than a classroom especially for kindergarten. I can see larger classes like that in the higher grades, but not that young! My daughter's classes were never this large. She is in 3rd grade now and has never had a class bigger than 22.

BTW they tried to get year round schooling up here and the teachers union shot it down quickly. Now instead they are lengthening the school day by almost 2 hours. So now they will start their day at 7:45a and end at 3:35p. Which means my kids will get the bus at 7:15am and get off at 4:00pm. Keep in mind we have full day kindergarten so even the young ones will be on this schedule. This is the result of MCAS testing gearing our curriculum and scheduling.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:28 PM

225 posts, read 953,864 times
Quote:
You will be assigned a track when you register them for their school. You can tell them which one you want, but, it is not guaranteed you will get it. I know they do try and keep siblings on the same track.

But, what I wanted to add: is that once you are on a track, it can be hard to change--I know the school my son attends, does not like when someone wants a track change, they had to have a good reason in writing (which they won't accept until I think Feb.) So, I guess I'm saying....try and pick the track best for your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary