U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2007, 08:25 AM
 
9,557 posts, read 26,279,113 times
Reputation: 9671

Advertisements

This morning I woke up to find "For Sale By Owner" Sign planted in the corner of my Front yard. I am on a corner lot and the sign in my yard has a red arrow pointing up the street to the house that is actually for sale. I am a pretty laid back person but must admit finding a sign planted in my yard without a person first asking permission kind of gets under my skin . I don't know this neighbor but find it odd they would not have the common courtesy to knock on my door before putting a sign in my yard. I imagine if a RE agent wanted to do this they would at least ask first. I guess you could make the arguement that since it is right next to the curb it is in the "Right of Way", but I still find it a bit innapropriate. Besdies. I thought Raliegh had ordinances against such singage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 AM
 
1,640 posts, read 3,154,530 times
Reputation: 3459
I used to have a corner house and people would do this to me all the time. The worst were the yard sale signs both in the yard and duct taped to the STOP sign at the corner. And do you think anyone ever came back to get those signs once the yard sale was over or they found their lost pet? No.
So I was mean. I just ripped them all right down. If you want my permission to post crap in my yard, then fine, ask. Chances are, I'll give you the ok. But if you throw crap in my yard without asking first (especially when I know you won't be back to collect it later) then I just rip it down and throw it away.
My yard is not a billboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2007, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
5,073 posts, read 6,998,900 times
Reputation: 3372
Default Sign posting

I agree, it's rude. We live on a corner and neighbors always ask if the can post directional signs for baby showers, birthday parties, etc. I read on this forum that it's illegal to post open house signs. I would definitely make my feelings known to your inconsiderate neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2007, 09:52 AM
 
191 posts, read 164,540 times
Reputation: 23
Take it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2007, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
11,770 posts, read 27,268,710 times
Reputation: 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
Take it down.
Ok...don't hate me for this one but I'm going to have to agree with Nacht!!!
Hurts me to even say it!
Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 AM
 
Location: North Raleigh
578 posts, read 2,771,553 times
Reputation: 274
I'm not claiming this is fact but it was my understanding that the lawn closest to the road (usually between the sidewalk and road) is not actually "your" property but common property owned by the locality but still maintained by you. Thus anyone has the right to plant a sign in it. I'm sure that differs by the laws of the locality. I'd be curious to learn more myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2007, 12:19 PM
 
191 posts, read 164,540 times
Reputation: 23
^I would take it down anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2007, 12:57 PM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 12,776,867 times
Reputation: 2316
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
This morning I woke up to find "For Sale By Owner" Sign planted in the corner of my Front yard. I am on a corner lot and the sign in my yard has a red arrow pointing up the street to the house that is actually for sale. I am a pretty laid back person but must admit finding a sign planted in my yard without a person first asking permission kind of gets under my skin . I don't know this neighbor but find it odd they would not have the common courtesy to knock on my door before putting a sign in my yard. I imagine if a RE agent wanted to do this they would at least ask first. I guess you could make the arguement that since it is right next to the curb it is in the "Right of Way", but I still find it a bit innapropriate. Besdies. I thought Raliegh had ordinances against such singage.
You know, it's amazing and a down-right shame the way people just come along in their cars / lawn tractor / mowers and cut down / run over all sorts of things in their yards. Things like wild onions, FSBO signs, election posters....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2007, 01:33 PM
 
133 posts, read 654,562 times
Reputation: 61
Bad form for the person that put up the FSBO sign. Where's their common courtesy?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
You know, it's amazing and a down-right shame the way people just come along in their cars / lawn tractor / mowers and cut down / run over all sorts of things in their yards. Things like wild onions, FSBO signs, election posters....
The backyard on our previous home was fronting a main access road into our area and it's very common for folks to post signs along the road, sometimes on my fence. But they usually ask first. Once I found an election poster tacked on to my fence. I took it down quickly. Very rude. I didn't vote for that person either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2007, 02:25 PM
 
3,155 posts, read 9,536,097 times
Reputation: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
I'm not claiming this is fact but it was my understanding that the lawn closest to the road (usually between the sidewalk and road) is not actually "your" property but common property owned by the locality but still maintained by you. Thus anyone has the right to plant a sign in it. I'm sure that differs by the laws of the locality. I'd be curious to learn more myself.
If I have to mow around it then I'm going to take it down. I'm certainly not going to get the weed eatter out just for someone else's sign. I guess you could just stop mowing there all together and let the grass eventually cover it.

I live in the city and the grassy strips between the sidewalk and street fall into this .... it's not my property but I have to maintain it rule. If someone gets hurt on this part of the property then I can get sued for not maintaining it. Thus I'm going to take it down ... I can argue that some kid might trip over it, etc.

Now, we just sold a house. And I asked the realtor where she was going to post signs. I then went to those people asking if we could post a sign on their corner and I brought home baked brownies. They all said yes.... the power of the brownie. Then as soon as the house sold, I went back and thanked them again for allowing the signs in there yard and said that I'd be happy to collect the signs. My realtor would have done this for me, but I like the face to face with people I live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top