Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 06:52 PM

13 posts, read 61,929 times

Advertisements

We have narrowed our private school selection to St. Mary Magdalene in Apex. Based on what I have heard, it is a great, caring environment, but getting accepted may not be so easy. We were told (not by the school), but by a relative that we need to have a solid record of volunteering with our church, consistent church attendance, as well as regular monetary donations in order to have shot at getting accepted. Anyone know if this is true?

We are aiming for kindergarten in 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 PM

445 posts, read 1,858,780 times
You should call them right away and see if they have a waitlist for that class yet, if they do you need to get on it. The priority will be registered parishioners with siblings currently at the school, registered parishioners, out of parish Catholics, and then all others. They will ask you to fill out a form identifying how much of your time and money you give to the parish, but that is to determine if you qualify for the parish discount, not whether you get accepted or not. I can't speak specifically about StMM, but I have had children at TFS and OLL and this is how contributions of time and money were handled. It did not factor into them getting into the school.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:46 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhead1 View Post
as well as regular monetary donations in order to have shot at getting accepted.
Pretty sad IMO.......

Old 08-29-2009, 05:44 AM

186 posts, read 659,425 times
You need to be parishioner at either St. Mary Magdalene or St. Andrews and have all the above for at least two years prior to when you're applying.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:18 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
My girlfriend sends her kids to St Mary Magdeline(started this year) and she just enrolled her kids. She is a member of St. Michaels in Cary and I don't think she had any issues with not being accepted. Never mentioned a problem.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:23 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
When we applied, we were not parishioners at any local Catholic church. We were accepted with the Catholic rate, but did have to show that we were donating to a parish to maintain the discounted rate.

The bottom line is money talks in the Catholic church.

BTW, IMHO, the school is a safe environment for your kids, but the curriculum is average.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 AM

49 posts, read 153,239 times
We have recently moved our kids from another private school to STMM. Because of what we heard - environment, test scores, etc,

So far we are impressed. Teachers seem to be very responsive. Daily lesson plans, homework, and grades are all posted on renweb.com. Its a school oriented website.

Couple things I have noticed:

- The kid's work load is higher than the previous school they were at. The kids are going to have to be organized if they want to participate in sports or other activities.

- Strict environment with expectations on behavior and neatly wearing uniform.

- Parental involvement is high (not sure we going to be able to get away with dropping the kids off and driving away)

- Because of the workload and expectations are higher than at the previous school my kids attended - my kids are going through an "adjustment". The kids that have been there from the start are pretty well adjusted.

Not really familiar with the difficulty of getting accepted. We are long standing "donating" Catholics and have belonged to Saint Michaels for 15 years. Both kids were baptized there, received their first holy communion, etc. They are also very good students. Not sure how much of a factor each "really" is.

Anyway - those are my impressions so far. I'll update as the year goes on.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:13 PM

232 posts, read 552,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
When we applied, we were not parishioners at any local Catholic church. We were accepted with the Catholic rate, but did have to show that we were donating to a parish to maintain the discounted rate.

The bottom line is money talks in the Catholic church.
I don't have personal knowledge of this school and parish, but generally parochial schools are subsidized by donations to parishes and to the diocese by parishioners. They are probably giving a tuition discount to those who prove they give on a regular basis because those people are already contributing to the funding of the school in an indirect manner. It's probably a policy to avoid having those parishioners overpay.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:53 PM

45 posts, read 168,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAVacation View Post
I don't have personal knowledge of this school and parish, but generally parochial schools are subsidized by donations to parishes and to the diocese by parishioners. They are probably giving a tuition discount to those who prove they give on a regular basis because those people are already contributing to the funding of the school in an indirect manner. It's probably a policy to avoid having those parishioners overpay.
Good point. No parish I've heard of is getting rich, by any means, from its school. Teachers, principals, etc. work for a pittance, because it's a cause they believe in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary